Wildlife - Pre FM

Jez

Great news - Finally the classic Wildlife album gets a very very welcome first time release onto cd (Wounded Bird). Anyone who doesn't know this album, it featured the FM's Overland brothers and some of Steve's finest ever performances In my opinion, aswell as Simon Kirke from Bad Co. and Phil Soussan who has played with Ozzy amongst others. The album is already listed on the HH main pages, but this must have slipped through the net as it has only ever been released on vinyl (except I think a dodgy 'Rock It' bootleg). I would have prefered the excellent Rock Candy treatment for this re-issue, but the no frills Wounded Bird re-issue will suffice. Brilliant news for those of us waiting for years to see this released on cd and anyone else that hasn't yet heard it, then the day beckons.

Tis a bloody good album if I remember rightly but I haven't heard it for years and years. I wonder how it'll stand up today.

Tis a bloody good album but I haven't heard it for years and years .I wonder how it'll stand up today.

I have a viny rip of it and it still sounds great to my ears mate!

Tis a bloody good album but I haven't heard it for years and years .I wonder how it'll stand up today.

I have a viny rip of it and it still sounds great to my ears mate!

My mate Briggy (Ian David Briggs to you :lol: ) had it years ago and loved it, I thought it was good but never bothered buying it. I didn't even realise the Overlands were involved....or maybe I did .. it just didn't register, but I remember Phil Soussan on it...probably coz he was bassist!

P.S. Briggy is just a brew boy! (In joke in case he ever reads this ... which I kinda doubt)

Indeed this is great news !! :guitbannana: Thanks for the heads-up ! :drink:

Great news - Finally the classic Wildlife album gets a very very welcome first time release onto cd (Wounded Bird). Anyone who doesn't know this album, it featured the FM's Overland brothers and some of Steve's finest ever performances In my opinion, aswell as Simon Kirke from Bad Co. and Phil Soussan who has played with Ozzy amongst others. The album is already listed on the HH main pages, but this must have slipped through the net as it has only ever been released on vinyl (except I think a dodgy 'Rock It' bootleg). I would have prefered the excellent Rock Candy treatment for this re-issue, but the no frills Wounded Bird re-issue will suffice. Brilliant news for those of us waiting for years to see this released on cd and anyone else that hasn't yet heard it, then the day beckons.

what took so long?????? lol

Cool, I've been wanting to hear this one...it's from 1983 or sometime around then isn't it?

Yeah - 1983. It was originally released on Led Zep's Swan Song label. As far as I am aware, people have been trying to get the rights to this for a while now, so good on the guys at Wounded Bird for succeeding. The S/T is actually Wildlife's second album, their debut was called 'Burning' but wasn't actually that great to be honest.

Cool - have heard people talking about this one for years. Is it any good - in the FM mould?

Cool - have heard people talking about this one for years. Is it any good - in the FM mould?

More of an AOR Bad Co. vibe going on, but great non the less.

More of an AOR Bad Co. vibe going on

Ah. Maybe I'll just save my money & spin "Indiscreet" instead. :lol:

Shit ignore the Bad Company comment - I cant stand them.

Wildlife is an awesome album. Not a filler in sight.

I actually prefer this to FM truth be told.

'Somewhere In The Night' is my fav Overland song, bar none.

get it.

get it.

Whether you like Bad Co. or can't stand them, the influence is there for all to hear on the Wildlife album. Not a total surprise really With 2 ex members Simon Kirke and Mick Ralphs contributing loads to the finished album.

get it.

The AOR'ish Bad Co. description is not that far off mate to be honest, whether you can't stand them or not i'm afraid. Not a total surprise really With Simon Kirke on Drums and Mick Ralphs producing the album.

I can see where you are coming from, but I wouldnt want to put Tim off buying an awesome album. LOL

By the way, did you see them at Hammy Odeon yonks ago when they supported..........errrr. come on brain work....was it MSG??

Cheers

get it.

The AOR'ish Bad Co. description is not that far off mate to be honest, whether you can't stand them or not i'm afraid. Not a total surprise really With Simon Kirke on Drums and Mick Ralphs producing the album.

I can see where you are coming from, but I wouldnt want to put Tim off buying an awesome album. LOL

By the way, did you see them at Hammy Odeon yonks ago when they supported..........errrr. come on brain work....was it MSG??

Cheers

Sure did mate and indeed it was MSG. Great gig.

To add to Tim's dilema, I think I did hear this a while back and isn't it so light you're kind of stretching it to even call it AOR? I don't recall being into this one at all.

To add to Tim's dilema, I think I did hear this a while back and isn't it so light you're kind of stretching it to even call it AOR? I don't recall being into this one at all.

Pure AOR for me....surprised you didnt dig this as all songs are great with loads of melody and excellent choruses. Nothing to dislike really. A classic.

isn't it so light you're kind of stretching it to even call it AOR?

Err - A big fat no to that statement! As I said above Twice, comparable with a more AOR'ish Bad Company and certainly no lighter than alot of 'AOR' discs past/present and it certainly has some bite to it in places. Steve Overland sounds brilliant on this and this is pretty much a pre-cursor to the excellent FM, although not as produced and a more slightly bluesy, less keyboard edge. An album that is held in high esteem by quite a few AOR fans, and pretty much a no brainer to be honest.

isn't it so light you're kind of stretching it to even call it AOR?

Err - A big fat no to that statement! As I said above Twice, comparable with a more AOR'ish Bad Company and certainly no lighter than alot of 'AOR' discs past/present and it certainly has some bite to it in places. Steve Overland sounds brilliant on this and this is pretty much a pre-cursor to the excellent FM, although not as produced and a more slightly bluesy, less keyboard edge. An album that is held in high esteem by quite a few AOR fans, and pretty much a no brainer to be honest.

Backed 100%

I will have to hear it to confirm my thoughts. To be honest, I may even be confusing this with that shitty Aussie band who are called either Wildfire or Wildlife. I don't know. I will try to get my ears around this again (or for the first time?).

I will have to hear it to confirm my thoughts. To be honest, I may even be confusing this with that shitty Aussie band who are called either Wildfire or Wildlife. I don't know. I will try to get my ears around this again (or for the first time?).

I hope you dont mean Wild Fire - Dreams in action, brisssy based mhr in the vein of old school dokken ..

I hope you dont mean Wild Fire - Dreams in action, brisssy based mhr in the vein of old school dokken ..

Nah, that's a great disc. Love that one. No, there's another really light shitty AOR disc with a band name something like this - sure it's Wildlife or something - WILDLAND! That's it. They suck.

Nah, that's a great disc. Love that one. No, there's another really light shitty AOR disc with a band name something like this - sure it's Wildlife or something - WILDLAND! That's it. They suck.

oh wild land lol........

Your knowledge and taste for Classic AOR stuff is outstanding as usual ;)

• 5 years later...

Well, I totally forgot about this and never pruchased a copy - really silly as its almost impossible to find now, except for silly money. Hey ho.

Ive still got a cdr.