DAUGHTRY "No Surprise"

I just caught Daughtry's new single "No Surprise" yesterday. I like it. I think this one track is better than 90% of the last album. Hoping for good things from his new release (whenever that is). Check it out by clicking below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGgUqErQDlw

I just caught Daughtry's new single "No Surprise" yesterday. I like it. I think this one track is better than 90% of the last album. Hoping for good things from his new release (whenever that is). Check it out by clicking below.

Wow mate you surprise me with that comment.

I heard this the other day and it a nice song, but pretty standard modern rock for me. I hope he ups the game for the rest of the album as it sounds like Sony are strangling any life out of the poor guy.

I only heard this live on American Idol and it sounded like a pretty good song - though he didn't sing it that well live... Hopefully the albums more consistent than the first one, but I'll def pick it up.

I only heard this live on American Idol and it sounded like a pretty good song - though he didn't sing it that well live... Hopefully the albums more consistent than the first one, but I'll def pick it up.

Really, I thought the first album was really good and consistent...hardly a filler on it.

Yeah, I saw the Idol performance...pretty good, solid.

Although I have to say that there quite a few songs on the debut American Radio album which absolutely kill this song stone dead, so Mr Daughtry is going to have to up his game for the rest of the album me thinks..........

Wow mate you surprise me with that comment.

I heard this the other day and it a nice song, but pretty standard modern rock for me. I hope he ups the game for the rest of the album as it sounds like Sony are strangling any life out of the poor guy.

Holy christ. Wow, I absolutely love the debut and there are some excellent songs on it... most specifically my fave, 'Over you' but this is where I said it first - I adore this song. More than anything off the debut. Yep, that's right. First spin (until now, playing it again) but you can quote me on that. Man, this is heaven to me. So yeah, I'm with Chris here. Stunning song.

For those still looking for a valid link:

Pure melodic rock perfection.

I dunno, I just found myself a little bored listening to the Idol live performance. Must admit that I havent listened to the actual single yet.....so I'll check that vid.

As Tim said the live vocal performance was only OKish (especially after watching Adam Lambert who was fucking awesome....as always) so perhaps that's what turned me off slightly.

I dunno, I just found myself a little bored listening to the Idol live performance. Must admit that I havent listened to the actual single yet.....so I'll check that vid.

As Tim said the live vocal performance was only OKish (especially after watching Adam Lambert who was fucking awesome....as always) so perhaps that's what turned me off slightly.

Yeah, I haven't heard the live performance, but seriously mate, give my link for the studio track a go. Absolutely stunning song.

• 1 month later...

I just had the pleasure of listening to all 12 tracks off the new album. Amazing what a little internet hunting can turn up. First the good..this is pretty damn catchy stuff people. There was maybe two or three "fillers" out of 12 tracks. This guy ripped through these tracks like a seasoned pro. This IS the face of modern melodic hard rock. Some excellent sing-a-long choruses on numerous tracks. The single "No Surprise" is a good feel for the rest of the album. If you buy the album after only hearing that track, you will not be disappointed.

Now the "bad" if you want to call it that...there is still a lack of balls out rockers. The opening track "You Don't Belong" is probably the hardest song on the album and a darn good one too. The majority is still stuck in that mid-tempo rock of the new single (which is a damn good track don't get me wrong) and most of his last album as well. I think Sony probably wants to make damn sure 75% of the new album can be released as radio-friendly singles. Again, not a bad thing, but I would just like to hear these guys tear it up on another track or two.

Again, not a lot of complaints, the fillers were more on the couple of slower songs they tried to do. I'm going to have to say that as a whole I'm liking this better than the debut right now.

I just had the pleasure of listening to all 12 tracks off the new album. Amazing what a little internet hunting can turn up. First the good..this is pretty damn catchy stuff people. There was maybe two or three "fillers" out of 12 tracks. This guy ripped through these tracks like a seasoned pro. This IS the face of modern melodic hard rock. Some excellent sing-a-long choruses on numerous tracks. The single "No Surprise" is a good feel for the rest of the album. If you buy the album after only hearing that track, you will not be disappointed.

Now the "bad" if you want to call it that...there is still a lack of balls out rockers. The opening track "You Don't Belong" is probably the hardest song on the album and a darn good one too. The majority is still stuck in that mid-tempo rock of the new single (which is a damn good track don't get me wrong) and most of his last album as well. I think Sony probably wants to make damn sure 75% of the new album can be released as radio-friendly singles. Again, not a bad thing, but I would just like to hear these guys tear it up on another track or two.

Again, not a lot of complaints, the fillers were more on the couple of slower songs they tried to do. I'm going to have to say that as a whole I'm liking this better than the debut right now.

On a par with the debut for me. Excellent melodic modern rock throughout - the highlight is Chris Daughtry's voice without a doubt. What an excellent vocalist.

I agree with the comments on medium paced rockers...it does become slightly one dimensional....defo need to rock out a bit more. Having said that some of these tracks are great with early favs being 'Everytime You Turn Around'...love that arrangement, 'What I meant To Say', 'Ghost Of Me' and 'Supernatural.

As good as this is though I cant help thinking that Adelitas Way is gonna prove to be the much stronger album.

Cheers

Yep, defininitely agree with you guys. The harder rocking side has definitely been removed from the equation here. I don't mind it as the best songs on his debut were the more medium paced ones, but I would have liked to see him still have a go at some harder rockers. For me the album is a little patchy, to be honest. It's all pretty good but there are a few songs which aren't really that great. But the highlights are brilliant. For me there are four clear, stand-out tracks which blow the rest of this album away and they are: 'No surprise', 'What I Meant to Say', 'Ghost of me' and 'Supernatural'.

I think the CD could have done without the last 2 songs and a few more like 'Ghost of me'. Overall, good stuff.

Will be hunting for this one later tonight. Loved the debut, well about as much as you can love anything released on a major label these days. Thanks for the post.

Yep, defininitely agree with you guys. The harder rocking side has definitely been removed from the equation here. I don't mind it as the best songs on his debut were the more medium paced ones, but I would have liked to see him still have a go at some harder rockers. For me the album is a little patchy, to be honest. It's all pretty good but there are a few songs which aren't really that great. But the highlights are brilliant. For me there are four clear, stand-out tracks which blow the rest of this album away and they are: 'No surprise', 'What I Meant to Say', 'Ghost of me' and 'Supernatural'.

I think the CD could have done without the last 2 songs and a few more like 'Ghost of me'. Overall, good stuff.

I know I've disagreed with you on every single other post today :lol: , but I kinda think it's a bit patchy too. I actually thought the first disc was a bit patchy as well, but it had more than enough killer songs to make it good. This one is the same, but for me it gets a bit bogged-down in mid-tempo samey tunes. I wasn't expecting a lot here and it's better than I thought, and the guy can sing - that's for sure, but they still haven't really delivered on this bands potential.

Make sure you check out the bonus tracks.

'One Last Chance' is stunning and one of the best tracks on offer. 'What We Have Become' is also v nice.

These bonus tracks elevate the album from good to great for me.

:tumbsup:

'One Last Chance' is stunning and one of the best tracks on offer. 'What We Have Become' is also v nice.

Are these hidden bonus tracks? I picked up my copy today at Wal-mart but don't see any bonus tracks on it. I haven't actually spun it though. I did get some code to download one bonus track through Itunes or some nonsense. I don't have it it front of me but I don't think the free download is either of the song titles you mentioned.

Are these hidden bonus tracks? I picked up my copy today at Wal-mart but don't see any bonus tracks on it. I haven't actually spun it though. I did get some code to download one bonus track through Itunes or some nonsense. I don't have it it front of me but I don't think the free download is either of the song titles you mentioned.

Here are the various forms of the album -

Digital Deluxe Album: (available online) Bonus Tracks 1. On The Inside 2. What We Have Become 3. No Surprise - video (for some stores).

iTunes: (standard digital & deluxe digital) If you pre-order get the bonus track: Traffic Light.

Walmart exclusive version: (available in Walmart stores and Walmart.com) Bonus Track: Get Me Through.

Target exclusive version: Bonus DVD Includes The Videos: Its Not Over - Home - Over You - Feels Like Tonight - What About Now - No Surprise.

Daughtryofficial.com exclusive version: - Standard US CD version of Leave This Town - Limited Edition Poster, Bonus Tracks (digital download) 1. Long Way 2. One Last Chance + more!

Just listened to this straight through twice (inc bonus tracks) and man is this baby growing on me.

There's hardly a track I dont like (OK Tennessee Lights is not really my thing)...but the rest are all really really good. And those 2 up beat rockers that I mention above really lift the album. Both excellent.

One thing which surprises me is the lack of love / mention of 'Everytime You Turn Around'....I really love that song. One of the albums best IMO.

& now I just heard 'Traffic Light' and I need that bonus track now as its a great song too. Jesus, most of the bonus tracks are better than the main album tracks.

One thing which surprises me is the lack of love / mention of 'Everytime You Turn Around'....I really love that song. One of the albums best IMO.

Spinning it now. Mate, probably my least favourite song on the entire CD. Definitely one on the ones I was referring to when I said there are a few fillers. I really hate this one. :( But one of my faves is still the killer single, 'No surprise' so I guess we were never destined to agree on this one. :)

Spinning it now. Mate, probably my least favourite song on the entire CD.

yeah another head scratcher....the sort of song id have thought youd love. ho hum. I like it...so there is some love it.

Just listened straight through again inc bonus tracks. Monster album. Gets better with each listen.....although I do still skip 'Tennesse.....'.

yeah another head scratcher....the sort of song id have thought youd love. ho hum. I like it...so there is some love it.

Chorus is decent at best, but the verses are just plain annoying and awful, imo. Yeah, I'm starting to skip both those last 2 songs too.

I gave this a spin today while I was heading up the coast out of Miami. Damn good cd. I like it much better than the debut. The last two songs are throw-aways, but hey, it's hard to be 100 percent perfect out of twelve songs. I also listened to most of the bonus tracks online. I so wish that 'On The Inside' had made it onto the final track listing. That was a great song and better than most of the finshed album. Why o why are bands doing this now...scattering bonus tracks all over the place? It used to be you just had to spend the extra money to get the Japanese version of an album to have the bonus tracks. Anyway, very cool disc and a nice addition to the collection.

Chorus is decent at best, but the verses are just plain annoying and awful, imo. Yeah, I'm starting to skip both those last 2 songs too.

Mmm, I think that's a great chorus mate and to be honest one of the more hookier ones on the disc. Ho hum.

Tennessee is a skip but I really like the last track....got a great close solo to close the album proper.

Have you heard the bonus tracks yet?? At least 3 great tracks out of those...'One Last Chance', 'What Have We Become' (a rare and good solo - kicks arse) and 'Traffic Light...all hit the spot.

Cheers