Retrospect Records

Although I am well aware that Sam and Retrospect Records have had their detractors on this board, I wanted to share my experience and give them the props they deserve.

I had been waiting for a company to release the CDs from local Cleveland rockers Love Affair for many years. When I happened on the Retrospect site and saw that both of the Love Affair albums were available on CD as well as their third unreleased album I was pretty excited. I was even more jacked when I did some more searching and found Champion (another local favorite) and their very fine album "Halfway to Heaven" for sale as well. After sending out a few feelers to folks who had purchased from the company for their opinions, I felt comfortable doing business with Retrospect and ordered the Love Affair self-titled CD and the Champion CD over the internet.

Then the bad stuff happened.

In about a week the package arrived in my mailbox. Or at least, what was left of the package. When I lifted out the envelope it rattled like a fifty piece jigsaw puzzle...not a good sign. Opening it up over the kitchen table, I had to literally turn the envelope upside down to dump out the contents. Smashed plastic and shredded paper fell everywhere. The Love Affair disc was just a bit scratched, but the Champion disc was cracked from the edge to the center hole. It looked like someone at the post office had a hammer, a brick and a large rock and was testing to see which would do the most damage to a jewel case. Seriously, I have bought and traded through the mail for awhile and I have NEVER seen anything like that. I was really deflated and irritated.

Anyway, I emailed Retrospect and although I tried to be polite I was probably a bit of a jerk. (Did I mention that I REALLY love those discs?) I left the house and took a walk with my wife to cool off, assuming I'd hear from Retrospect in a day or two.

Then the good stuff happened.

Sam got back to me within the hour. He apologized for the post office. He did not question my veracity. He just said he would be sending replacements immediately, no strings attached. Even when I emailed him back and offered to send the product back or at least take a picture and send it to him so he could protect himself (I was a first time customer, remember) Sam said he trusted me and not to worry about it. So, again, I waited and assumed it would be another week or so and I would finally get my CDs.

The CDs came three business days later. In perfect condition. And I am listening to Champion RIGHT NOW! Oohhh...yes.

So to Sam and Retrospect Records, I say THANK YOU! You have made me a customer for life. :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:

Although I am well aware that Sam and Retrospect Records have had their detractors on this board, I wanted to share my experience and give them the props they deserve.

I had been waiting for a company to release the CDs from local Cleveland rockers Love Affair for many years. When I happened on the Retrospect site and saw that both of the Love Affair albums were available on CD as well as their third unreleased album I was pretty excited. I was even more jacked when I did some more searching and found Champion (another local favorite) and their very fine album "Halfway to Heaven" for sale as well. After sending out a few feelers to folks who had purchased from the company for their opinions, I felt comfortable doing business with Retrospect and ordered the Love Affair self-titled CD and the Champion CD over the internet.

Then the bad stuff happened.

In about a week the package arrived in my mailbox. Or at least, what was left of the package. When I lifted out the envelope it rattled like a fifty piece jigsaw puzzle...not a good sign. Opening it up over the kitchen table, I had to literally turn the envelope upside down to dump out the contents. Smashed plastic and shredded paper fell everywhere. The Love Affair disc was just a bit scratched, but the Champion disc was cracked from the edge to the center hole. It looked like someone at the post office had a hammer, a brick and a large rock and was testing to see which would do the most damage to a jewel case. Seriously, I have bought and traded through the mail for awhile and I have NEVER seen anything like that. I was really deflated and irritated.

Anyway, I emailed Retrospect and although I tried to be polite I was probably a bit of a jerk. (Did I mention that I REALLY love those discs?) I left the house and took a walk with my wife to cool off, assuming I'd hear from Retrospect in a day or two.

Then the good stuff happened.

Sam got back to me within the hour. He apologized for the post office. He did not question my veracity. He just said he would be sending replacements immediately, no strings attached. Even when I emailed him back and offered to send the product back or at least take a picture and send it to him so he could protect himself (I was a first time customer, remember) Sam said he trusted me and not to worry about it. So, again, I waited and assumed it would be another week or so and I would finally get my CDs.

The CDs came three business days later. In perfect condition. And I am listening to Champion RIGHT NOW! Oohhh...yes.

So to Sam and Retrospect Records, I say THANK YOU! You have made me a customer for life. :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:

Sam & Aaron & whoever else there is behind Retrospect name do stand tall in my books.

I've never had an issue when it comes to getting what I paid for. :beerbang:

thanks alot for the props guys -- we really do try to ensure the best customer service because we want to build a solid reputation and a trust with every individual buyer -- we are thrilled and humbled that anyone out there, especially during these times, would lay down their hard earned cash for each and every release we put out. we need you and the bands need you and we represent these bands which is something we don't take lightly -- every buyer is instrumental in supporting each band on the Retrospect label. These artists are finally getting paid back for the all the hard work and money they put into their recordings many years ago and they are ecstatic -- this is the most rewarding thing i have ever been a part of!

Again, thanks alot everyone for giving us a chance!!

Aaron

www.retrospectrecords.com

p.s. check out our new releases and/or re-issues by Freakshow, Scram, Vendetta, Powerglide and many more!!!

That's a great story and two thumbs up to Sam and Retrospect for taking care of their customers. :headbanger:

Absolutely, there's a lot of bad, or just plain nonexistent customer service out there. Good to hear some positive stuff.

I saw this last night and thought I'd add my story. A while back I picked up some Retospect releases and when the package arrived it was busted up and some of the cds were missing. Instead of doing some investigating I called Sam and started raising hell. I was really pissed and put the blame on him. He offered to replace what was gone or send the busted box back at his expense for a full refund. I was just about to pack things up for a return trip to Vegas when something hit me about the package. It was stamped that it went to Pittsburgh. I went down to my local post office and they informed me later in the day that(according to the mail center in Pittsburgh) the package had been busted open and that they had put back the cds in anthor box and then proceded to mail it on to me. That's why it went to Pittsburgh first and not here to West Virginia(it was busted open or broken into between Vegas and West Virginia).I called Pittsburgh raising hell that several cds were gone and I was called by a investigator who determined (in their opinion) that the box must have got damaged and several items destroyed and thrown away but no paper work could be found to verify that. Anthor thought from her was that a postal employee kept the cds that were damaged or missing from the box. Of course I called Sam immediately to let him know what I had found out through the post office. I then began a long series of apolgies to him for jumping the gun and blaming him for the damage and missing cds. This is where he floored me. He said whats gone and I'll ship it you a.s.a.p. at his expense. He did just that and made sure that I was happy. My praises and hat goes off to you Sam and the rest of the team at Retrospect for that. It's a jesture that I won't ever forget and buy the way I'm still sorry for gettin' so upset at you! :bowdown:

That's a great story and two thumbs up to Sam and Retrospect for taking care of their customers. :headbanger:

Absolutely, there's a lot of bad, or just plain nonexistent customer service out there. Good to hear some positive stuff.

Backed!!!

needless to say that i'm a RR fanboyo etc etc etc....NASA should use samples from RR for her future expeditions....i only pray and hope that Sam will unleash soon a lot of diamonds which are hidden deep into the floridian swamps....

I've never had a problem with ordering from Retrospect Records. Fast shipping too. It's great that Sam is allowing us to hear these bands that otherwise would just be collecting dust. :tumbsup: