Japanese Spider-Man

Fat Freddy

Found this fascinating little video at another forum and had to share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcxioU7AMM4

This is the opening credit sequence to a late 70s Japanese TV version of "Spider-Man." As you will quickly see, the only resemblance to "our" Spidey in this version is the costume. Apparently all Japanese kids' shows must have giant robots in them by law, so Spidey pilots a giant robot in this version to battle monsters. WTF? :blink:

Even though I've been a huge Spider-Man fan for ages, I had never heard of this version till I saw this video. From what I've been able to gather, Marvel Comics licensed the character to a Japanese production company with no strings attached other than that the Spidey costume in their version had to look the same as in the comic books; so other than the wardrobe, the Japanese producers obviously went completely nuts and created an entirely new origin for him, new back story, new secret identity, new powers, new everything!!

I can only imagine what must've happened when the first "Spider-Man" movie opened in Japan a few years back; moviegoers must've been thinking "Wait a minute, this is NOTHING like the old TV show... where's the giant robot? I HATE when movies aren't faithful to the source material." :rofl:

You can find out more info about this dubious "classic" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Spider-Man

Japanese TV commercial for their "Spider-Man" robot toy. I can't understand what Spidey is saying of course but I assume it's something along the lines of "Hey Kids! Buy my robot!"

Japanese TV commercial for their "Spider-Man" robot toy. I can't understand what Spidey is saying of course but I assume it's something along the lines of "Hey Kids! Buy my robot!"

Or he's saying.."Hey Krids! Bluy my wobot!"

Or he's saying.."Hey Krids! Bluy my wobot!"

"Herro Chirdlen! You buy my way-coor lobot! Spida-mang command you! Domo Arigato!"

Check it out y'all: Marvel Comics is now posting entire episodes of the Japanese "Spider-Man" show on their web site for free viewing (with helpful English sub titles for those of us not from the Land of the Rising Sun). The first episode can be found here:

http://www.marvel.com/videos/563.Japanese_...n%2C_Episode_01

You all gotta see this thing. Even with subtitles, it makes NO sense. :blink:

There are two other episodes available on Marvel.com at the moment, and they will be adding a new one every week. Absolutely brilliant, surreal stuff! :rofl:

Ok I apologize for this being a little off topic but it does tie into the Japanese and Cartoon thing. Does anyone remember Astroboy? That was a whacked out cartoon as well and I mean even when it was redone for U.S. consumption.

On topic...........I never knew about the Japanese Spidey.

Ok I apologize for this being a little off topic but it does tie into the Japanese and Cartoon thing. Does anyone remember Astroboy? That was a whacked out cartoon as well and I mean even when it was redone for U.S. consumption.

Yup, I remember Astro Boy. I am not all that familiar with the show but I used to have some Astro Boy comic books that were published by NOW Comics in the late 80s/early 90s.

Check it out y'all: Marvel Comics is now posting entire episodes of the Japanese "Spider-Man" show on their web site for free viewing (with helpful English sub titles for those of us not from the Land of the Rising Sun). The first episode can be found here:

http://www.marvel.com/videos/563.Japanese_...n%2C_Episode_01

You all gotta see this thing. Even with subtitles, it makes NO sense. :blink:

There are two other episodes available on Marvel.com at the moment, and they will be adding a new one every week. Absolutely brilliant, surreal stuff! :rofl:

Thanks you for those! My 4 year old loved the trailer with his "Power Rangers Robot Buddy" so now he can find out what its all about. :lol:

Thanks you for those! My 4 year old loved the trailer with his "Power Rangers Robot Buddy" so now he can find out what its all about. :lol:

No problemo Rick!! I've found that it's helpful to forget everything you know about Spider-Man before watching this version, because none of the rules apply. :lol:

Wait'll you see Spidey battle the backflipping ninjas with his trusty "SPIDUHHHH-STRING!" :rofl:

By the way, I'm up to episode #2 and when it came time for the thrilling last-act Giant Robot Battle, all the robot transformation and fight scenes were recycled from episode #1. I guess they only had enough budget $ to shoot those scenes once :rofl2:

No problemo Rick!! I've found that it's helpful to forget everything you know about Spider-Man before watching this version, because none of the rules apply. :lol:

Wait'll you see Spidey battle the backflipping ninjas with his trusty "SPIDUHHHH-STRING!" :rofl:

By the way, I'm up to episode #2 and when it came time for the thrilling last-act Giant Robot Battle, all the robot transformation and fight scenes were recycled from episode #1. I guess they only had enough budget $ to shoot those scenes once :rofl2:

I read that they ran out of robot budget very early and did indeed have to recycle stock footage.