Debating Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Jimbo

Yay or nay?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I couldn't really pick either option. Here's my take on him:

He can play the f*ck out of the guitar - to me that is not an issue. Is he soul-less and boring? To an extent, perhaps. But not completely. Unlike most guys here, I don't think he has EVER created an entirely great album. 'Facing the animal' is the closest he ever got, with 'Eclipse' a close second. 'You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget' and 'Queen is in love' are probably the best two songs he ever recorded off the 'Trilogy' album, but the other 7 songs were garbage. 'Odyssey' was a decent album at best. No real stunners, but a couple of pretty good songs amongst the trash. I also think the two Verscera discs, especially 'The seventh sign', weren't so bad either. To be honest, though, his most consistent album was with the worst vocalist he ever teamed up with - the Steeler album is a pretty kickin' slab of hard rock, imo.

Either way, in colclusion he is an excellent guitarist but he is a poor song-writer and to me that is 1000% more important. I have no doubt in my mind you could make a CDR of under 15 songs which would feature all of his best material... and the only 15 songs in his discography worth hearing.

Wow where is the love for "Facing the Animal"?

I think that album rules.

Look no further than my above post for some love for this album. As I said, best album he ever made. Still, it's not perfect. :)

Look no further than my above post for some love for this album. As I said, best album he ever made. Still, it's not perfect. :)

I avoid your posts on purpose so I missed that one. :lol:

Seriously I did read that post but somehow missed that line.

That's what I get for being in a hurry. :anon:

I chose #1; he's an outstanding guitar player. He has a very unique and identifiable sound, his playing is very hard to mimic. IMO he does have feeling in his playing - some of his songs more so than others. He may and can look like a flashy guitar player on the surface but if you really listen and especially to certain songs it be hard to say he's just a flashy player with no feeling/substance. I'd say he can play anything and anyone else's music on the guitar as well but can others play his stuff? I had an argument with my friend about Yngwie. He was saying Yngwie has no feeling and is just all show but I was obviously disagreeing and then we were comparing him to other guitarists, one of which was Eric Clapton. Whether or not he is better is personal preference but I said Yngwie can play all of Clapton's catalogue I'm sure but can Clapton play all of Yngwie's? The answer is no to me. I did state though that while Yngwie could play all of Clapton's stuff he probably wouldn't be able to match the feeling and overall vibe since that is unique to the particular guitarist playing the song (in this case, Clapton). Now this really doesn't matter when it comes to making music but I was making the point to him to give Yngwie some credit, as let's see you let alone any expert/professional guitarist play his stuff. The point still didn't hit home with my friend but at least the argument ended.

I avoid your posts on purpose so I missed that one. :lol:

Seriously I did read that post but somehow missed that line.

That's what I get for being in a hurry. :anon:

Facing the Animal Is Great!! :banger:

• My Little Pony

He's a great player, but I find myself getting bored within the first twenty seconds of most songs. I prefer Chris Impellitteri.