Escape the Fate

Geoff

I believe there are a few guys here that got into these guys and their debut full length disc, 'Dying is your latest fashion'. That was a great little slab of heavy rock with a few juicy choruses, big riffs, solos and some screams.

Since then the band has lost their lead singer due to drug problems and hired a new guy. The verdict is good. The new guy's voice is a little unique and I kind of like it. The new sound is amazing. Seriously, faultless production job here from John Feldmann (Lostprophets, The Used, Story of the Year, Atreyu). This thing sounds like a million dollars and is musically HUGE.

And from the first song my foot was tapping and my head was moving. Great invigorating hard rock on display here. There is a minor lull in the middle of the disc, but overall it is very solid. The title track is an absolute f*cking monster. The screams are mostly gone on this album, but the title track is all screams, brilliant guitar work (These guys sure know their way around a solo!!!) and a huge chorus. The last track 'It's just me' is the only real dud, but the rest of this is a great new heavy rock album. Sounds a little like a heavier hard rocking version of The Used actually.

The new album, 'This War is Ours' is due on 21st October.

http://www.myspace.com/escapethefate

That my old mate, was not a pleasant listening experience at all. Truly horrid.

:lol: But this is what amazes me about you kids these days. This new album absolutely crucifies the new RA disc yet RA are still held in some false high regard people are clinging too - oblivious to the fact that there are a thousand modern hard rock bands that sound like them only 100% better. I'm baffled. ;)

For those who do appreciate good kick-ass hard rock n'roll, I've just been spinning their debut EP this morning too and it's almost worth getting for 2 of the 3 tracks that didn't make their debut album. The EP's called 'There's no sympathy for the dead' and was released in 2006 just before their debut.

Jez, just out of curiosity (as the link doesn't fully open here at work), which songs on their myspace page did you hear?

:lol: But this is what amazes me about you kids these days. This new album absolutely crucifies the new RA disc yet RA are still held in some false high regard people are clinging too - oblivious to the fact that there are a thousand modern hard rock bands that sound like them only 100% better. I'm baffled. ;)

For those who do appreciate good kick-ass hard rock n'roll, I've just been spinning their debut EP this morning too and it's almost worth getting for 2 of the 3 tracks that didn't make their debut album. The EP's called 'There's no sympathy for the dead' and was released in 2006 just before their debut.

Jez, just out of curiosity (as the link doesn't fully open here at work), which songs on their myspace page did you hear?

I haven't got the new RA disc yet (still waiting for it) but the tracks I have heard are much better than this drivel. I am sort of the opposite opinion in that I have heard thousands of bands like this one (Most of them Bore me rigid and certainly wouldn't be classed as 'Kick Ass Rock n Roll', but I check them out anyways) and most of them are crap, except the odd one or two.. This is fast becoming a genre of rock where there are far too many bands and not enough quality going on IMHO. Check the Kerrap channel on a daily basis for proof of that.

The tracks on their myspace page were:

This War Is Ours

The Flood

The Apocalypse

Situations

The Guillotine (Particularly shite)

Not Good Enough

I haven't got the new RA disc yet (still waiting for it) but the tracks I have heard absolutely destroy this. I am sort of the opposite opinion in that I have heard thousands of bands like this one (Most of them Bore me rigid, but I check them out anyways) and the majority I have heard are better than this and are still pretty shite.

This War Is Ours

The Flood

The Apocalypse

Situations

Not Good Enough

Yeah, I'm not surprised you hate the stuff from the debut and unfortunately 'The Flood' is not one of the better songs off the new album. If you can, try to wrap your ears around the first three songs - 'We Won't Back Down', 'On To The Next One' and the killer 'Ashley'.

Normally I also wouldn't be surprised that you don't like 'The war is ours' but after your dip into Scar Symmetry territory I'd have thought that'd be quite heavenly by comparison. :)

Scar Symmetry are a whole different ball game compared to this and I certainly wouldn't lump them in and compare them with any of these bands at all. They are much more of an eclectic mix, with Metal, Prog and even bordering on MR with some of the choruses. Plus they have (or did have - he's left now) a killer vocalist, loads more keys, much better songs with much better, more complex and clever arrangements, unlike all this stuff which by comparison, is pretty generic and has been done to death by now.

Scar Symmetry are a whole different ball game compared to this and I certainly wouldn't lump them in and compare them with any of these bands at all. They are much more of an eclectic mix, with Metal, Prog and even bordering on MR with some of the choruses. Plus they have (or did have - he's left now) a killer vocalist, loads more keys, much better songs with much better, more complex and clever arrangements, unlike all this stuff which by comparison, is pretty generic and has been done to death by now.

Definitely agree with you that there's nothing new going on here with Escape the Fate but I much prefer to hear something I love done well, as opposed to something new that just doesn't work for me.

I agree with most of what you say about Scar Symmetry, except I don't think the vocalist was any better than this guy and I definitely don't think the songs were better. More complex? Sure. Clever arrangements? They were different but that doesn't translate into clever for me. I think it's more clever to make songs that sound good. ;)

My two fave CDs of the year so far are Rockarma and Story of The Year. No one's going to call either of them "clever", complex, original or something "brand new" but that's why I love them - they just rock shit up. They take everything I love about music already and perfect it so it does sound fresh and new for me. Plus, imo, they're better than the rest of the new complex different stuff out there that I hate. ;)

Definitely agree with you that there's nothing new going on here with Escape the Fate but I much prefer to hear something I love done well, as opposed to something new that just doesn't work for me.

I agree with most of what you say about Scar Symmetry, except I don't think the vocalist was any better than this guy and I definitely don't think the songs were better. More complex? Sure. Clever arrangements? They were different but that doesn't translate into clever for me. I think it's more clever to make songs that sound good. ;)

My two fave CDs of the year so far are Rockarma and Story of The Year. No one's going to call either of them "clever", complex, original or something "brand new" but that's why I love them - they just rock shit up. They take everything I love about music already and perfect it so it does sound fresh and new for me. Plus, imo, they're better than the rest of the new complex different stuff out there that I hate. ;)

The Ex Scar Symmetry vocalist kills this guy for me. A much stronger, melodic voice, plus he can do all the growly stuff aswell. In fact I hear they are having problems replacing him with one person because of the quality and variation of his voice. They may be going for 2 singers instead.

I agree that clever is not always good, but the Scar Symmetry disc is so strong because it combines all the elements that you mention, good songwriting, as I said above, Very good song arrangements, excellent musicianship etc, an all round package, which for me, I haven't yet heard in hardly any of the Escape The Fate, 'Insert Kerrang channel band name here' type stuff.

As I said above, comparing these 2 is worlds apart as they are different styles, one which you prefer and one which I prefer.

I agree that clever is not always good, but the Scar Symmetry disc is so strong because it combines all the elements that you mention, good songwriting, as I said above, Very good song arrangements, excellent musicianship etc, an all round package, which for me, I haven't yet heard in hardly any of the Escape The Fate, 'Insert Kerrang channel band name here' type stuff.

As I said above, comparing these 2 is worlds apart as they are different styles, one which you prefer and one which I prefer.

Sweet action. I should make it clear I just mentioned Scar Symmetry purely as a comparison to that one song; the title track on 'This war is ours'. That's pretty much the only song with any screaming on the new Escape the Fate disc. There's screaming on the first album, but not that growly grizzly bear stuff.

But yeah, at the end of the day you like what you like and that's all you can do. I am personally loving the new higher level of musicianship on a heap of modern rock/metal releases like the two mentioned here (even if you reckon these guys are not as good as Scar Symmetry, they still kick my ass).

Sweet action. I should make it clear I just mentioned Scar Symmetry purely as a comparison to that one song; the title track on 'This war is ours'. That's pretty much the only song with any screaming on the new Escape the Fate disc. There's screaming on the first album, but not that growly grizzly bear stuff.

But yeah, at the end of the day you like what you like and that's all you can do. I am personally loving the new higher level of musicianship on a heap of modern rock/metal releases like the two mentioned here (even if you reckon these guys are not as good as Scar Symmetry, they still kick my ass).

:drink:

Question:

wheres the enjoyment in listening to something you cant understand, nor sing along to?

Which is why I'm not personally a fan of the real scream-heavy stuff. Especially growling stuff.

But when a one-off song does come along it just smashes your ass all over the place and I like it. It's a little like 'Inside out' off Warrant's 'Dog Eat Dog', which just sort of came out of nowhere. It's different, brutal and I love it. A whole album of it? That's when it loses me. (Which is what I like about this new Escape the Fate album. I'm not a screaming fan, but that one song on this album just absolutely beats the shit out of your ears).

Question:

wheres the enjoyment in listening to something you cant understand, nor sing along to?

Which is why I'm not personally a fan of the real scream-heavy stuff. Especially growling stuff.

But when a one-off song does come along it just smashes your ass all over the place and I like it. It's a little like 'Inside out' off Warrant's 'Dog Eat Dog', which just sort of came out of nowhere. It's different, brutal and I love it. A whole album of it? That's when it loses me. (Which is what I like about this new Escape the Fate album. I'm not a screaming fan, but that one song on this album just absolutely beats the shit out of your ears).

so your saying the rest of the album is crap, but theres 1 good song?

Question:

LISTEN PUNK!!!

I am saying that if there is one screaming track on an otherwise clean vocaled hard rock album (Like there is on the new Escape the Fate album) then I like that one song, screaming and all, and I already automatically love the rest of the album because it's just straight up hard rock without the screams. Do you understand, Grug?

BUT, if the album is full of screaming then I don't have much patience for it.

Question:

LISTEN PUNK!!!

I am saying that if there is one screaming track on an otherwise clean vocaled hard rock album (Like there is on the new Escape the Fate album) then I like that one song, screaming and all, and I already automatically love the rest of the album because it's just straight up hard rock without the screams. Do you understand, Grug?

but what if there are two screaming tracks? cos i listened to two samples... both were screaming...

also... is vocaled a word?

Grug is the highlight of this thread.

Question:

LISTEN PUNK!!!

but what if there are two screaming tracks? cos i listened to two samples... both were screaming...

Everything I say is a word.

Like the dreg you are you're probably listening to all the songs from the last album which has a lot of screaming verses but not in choruses.

Don't bother with this anyway, you'll hate it.

Question:

LISTEN PUNK!!!

Everything I say is a word.

Like the dreg you are you're probably listening to all the songs from the last album which has a lot of screaming verses but not in choruses.

Don't bother with this anyway, you'll hate it.

Well why give us a link that only has an old album on it, yet tell us to check out the new album?

You are such a pug swallower.

I haven't got the new RA disc yet (still waiting for it) but the tracks I have heard absolutely destroy this. I am sort of the opposite opinion in that I have heard thousands of bands like this one (Most of them Bore me rigid, but I check them out anyways) and the majority I have heard are better than this and are still pretty shite.

This War Is Ours

The Flood

The Apocalypse

Situations

Not Good Enough

Yeah, I'm not surprised you hate the stuff from the debut and unfortunately 'The Flood' is not one of the better songs off the new album. If you can, try to wrap your ears around the first three songs - 'We Won't Back Down', 'On To The Next One' and the killer 'Ashley'.

Normally I also wouldn't be surprised that you don't like 'The war is ours' but after your dip into Scar Symmetry territory I'd have thought that'd be quite heavenly by comparison. :)

My apologies... got the tracks mixed up. 'The flood' is actually f*cking awesome and if you don't like that don't bother with this album. Although not representative of the disc, 'This war is ours' and 'The Flood' are two of the album's best songs, along with the first four... so if you don't dig those two (even though I must mention again there's not much screaming on this disc) you best avoid.

As for that shiela, Matt above, you're lucky you got a link at all. I didn't design their myspace page and what songs are on there. You know where I live. I'm available for a fight tonight.

This War Is Ours

The Flood

The Apocalypse

Situations

Not Good Enough

My apologies... got the tracks mixed up. 'The flood' is actually f*cking awesome and if you don't like that don't bother with this album. Although not representative of the disc, 'This war is ours' and 'The Flood' are two of the album's best songs, along with the first four... so if you don't dig those two (even though I must mention again there's not much screaming on this disc) you best avoid.

As for that shiela, Matt above, you're lucky you got a link at all. I didn't design their myspace page and what songs are on there. You know where I live. I'm available for a fight tonight.

SWEEEET! A fight! C'mon eveybody, let's gather around... :joust:

To get back to this album after another more detailed listen this afternoon the first 5 tracks are all killer. The first 3, 'We Won't Back Down', 'On To The Next One' and definitely 'Ashley' are all superb. 'Something' is a nice commercial slow rocker and 'The flood', which I believe is the first single, is a kick-ass hard rocker.

The next 2 songs - 'Let It Go' and 'You Are So Beautiful' are the first tastes of filler on this disc. Pretty ordinary, but then 'This War Is Ours (The Guillotine Part II)' absolutely slams you across the face, moster guitar solo (the 3rd of the disc) and all. This song is awesome and gets us back on track. '10 miles wide' is groove-driven hard rock like a cross between Skid Row, Buckcherry, The Used and Atreyu. The 2nd last song 'Harder than you know' is a beauty too. I admit I thought it was a joke the first time - their take-off off a boyband or something, but it's just a nice little acoustic driven ballad which does lead into a nice full band section. Sweet song.

And this is where the album ends. 'It's just me' is complete filler and best skipped and call this a 10 track album.

Having given their debut a spin - 'Dying is you latest fashion' - again this afternoon, I can say without an ounce of doubt that this new album is 100 times superior. The production too, I must point out, is just flawless.

Yeah I know this band, but have skipped over them as IMO they're a bit like a weaker AVENGED SEVENFOLD. I also kinda think the vocalist doesn't really carry off the clean-singing that well. Plus the title-track is the only song they really let loose with the heavy/jarring Metalcore rhythms. IMHO bands like Trivium/Killswitch/A7X needn't look over their shoulder at these 2nd Division bands. That said, if there were more songs like the absolutely KILLER title-track I'd definitely have picked this up....

Yeah I know this band, but have skipped over them as IMO they're a bit like a weaker AVENGED SEVENFOLD. I also kinda think the vocalist doesn't really carry off the clean-singing that well. Plus the title-track is the only song they really let loose with the heavy/jarring Metalcore rhythms. IMHO bands like Trivium/Killswitch/A7X needn't look over their shoulder at these 2nd Division bands. That said, if there were more songs like the absolutely KILLER title-track I'd definitely have picked this up....

Yeah, the title track sure is a monster. As for the rest of your post, I'd defintely agree that these guys aren't really doing the same thing as the other bands you mentioned. This is pure hard rock (The Used, Story of the Year, Atreyu etc. would be their peers) as opposed to the metal of the bands mentioned there. This is my kind of thing, but I can see how these guys wouldn't please your heavier tastes. :)

Their debut is heavier with more screams and breakdowns and stuff like that, but the songs on the new album are a lot better.

Yeah, the title track sure is a monster. As for the rest of your post, I'd defintely agree that these guys aren't really doing the same thing as the other bands you mentioned. This is pure hard rock (The Used, Story of the Year, Atreyu etc. would be their peers) as opposed to the metal of the bands mentioned there. This is my kind of thing, but I can see how these guys wouldn't please your heavier tastes. :)

Their debut is heavier with more screams and breakdowns and stuff like that, but the songs on the new album are a lot better.

Also, I have to add that apart from a couple of songs the latest A7X album was pretty poor IMO.

Also, I have to add that apart from a couple of songs the latest A7X album was pretty poor IMO.

Yeah, I hate to say it but they're another band who just doesn't do it for me at all.