Escape the Fate

Geoff

So I picked this one up (as I had an HMV voucher to spend but couldn't find anything to spend it on!) and you know... it's pretty damn good. I'm not sure whether I love or hate the vocals, but musically this works well. It's very 80's sounding at times, but with that Modern production, & is a consistent set of tunes (only closer "It's Just Me" lets the side down - awful song). "Let It Go" is absolutely killer, as is "10 Miles Wide", but it's still the absolutely epic title-track that works best. I just wish they had used those huge breakdowns more throughout this disc & made it heavier, but it's still a disc I really like...

Geoff, you think I'd like the other album?

So I picked this one up (as I had an HMV voucher to spend but couldn't find anything to spend it on!) and you know... it's pretty damn good. I'm not sure whether I love or hate the vocals, but musically this works well. It's very 80's sounding at times, but with that Modern production, & is a consistent set of tunes (only closer "It's Just Me" lets the side down - awful song). "Let It Go" is absolutely killer, as is "10 Miles Wide", but it's still the absolutely epic title-track that works best. I just wish they had used those huge breakdowns more throughout this disc & made it heavier, but it's still a disc I really like...

Geoff, you think I'd like the other album?

Honestly mate, if you can find it for a nice cheap price do get it. It's a good disc, but I could see you putting it in the okay but not great pile. I like it, but there's admittedly better out there. This new disc is ten times better.

• 2 years later...

So anyone got the new CD from these guys?

I predicted they'd get all melodic / glam metal on us, but it hasn't really gone that way. :lol: Instead you could argue that this is their heaviest effort yet. The first 3 songs kind of plod a little, but after that it gets pretty good. But sadly it's about as far as it goes. I do like their heavy, energetic sound and there's plenty of stuff to enjoy on this CD, but nothing too amazing either. My verdict is it's a good one, but not great.

I've got it and I don't agree about it being heavier at all. I loved the title-track off their debut as it proved they have a bit of an edge to them rather than just being another generic modern rock band, but there are no tunes like that this time around. They're just so cheesy. Some of the obvious single material is just hopeless (like "Issues"). Compared to the awesome new DAY TO REMEMBER disc this is just boring IMO.

I've got it and I don't agree about it being heavier at all. I loved the title-track off their debut as it proved they have a bit of an edge to them rather than just being another generic modern rock band, but there are no tunes like that this time around. They're just so cheesy. Some of the obvious single material is just hopeless (like "Issues"). Compared to the awesome new DAY TO REMEMBER disc this is just boring IMO.

There is more screaming on their debut but I think musically this is their heaviest effort this far. Who knows, though? I'm not sure, it just seems pretty heavy in places to me. I can see where you get cheese from - they kind of seem like an emo hair band to me. :lol: Imagewise they're caught between the two, they have a guitar solo in every single song, big vocals... but still that modern "emo" feel.

I dunno, I like them quite a lot but I was really hoping for something truly awesome this time around. Instead it's arguably their overall weakest effort so far, I dare say. Still a good disc, though. As for the edge you speak of, I think that all came from their original vocalist. I understand he was pretty drug f*cked and a bit of a loony, but probably the one in the band that set these guys apart from the pack. I don't know what happened to him, though.

Oh, and I agree. The new ADTR kills this one.