Torch

Evil Rick

While we were on our way to Minneapolis this weekend I came across a college radio station that was playing some kickass heavy metal. I had no idea who it was but it sounded like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest had been mixed in a blender. They played three songs and then announced the band was called Torch. Cool stuff! I guess they released a few albums in the early 80's, but upon doing some searching, it appears none of their albums are available on cd.

Has anyone else heard of this band, and is their material worth tracking down? I heard one song that was called "Watcher Of The Night" or something similar and thought it was great.

Also I guess there is some new crap band with the name Torch as well. They have a Myspace page and they suck. This isn't them. :lol:

I'm guessing this is the band?:

http://www.amazon.com/Torch/dp/B00000DTO8/...6644&sr=1-5

There's a good review there that says it came out originally in 1984 and name drops Judas Priest and the awesome Jag Panzer. If a band sounds like those two bands it can't be a bad thing. :banger:

Surely Keef knows who these guys are.

I think that's the band, but $75 for the cd? Whew! I've been doing a Google search on the band and it seems like there are quite a few sites talking about them. Hopefully I can come across some mp3's so I know for sure if I have the right band.

Looks like they have a couple of their albums available for d/l HERE if anyones interested

I think the song is on Electrikiss..I have Fireraiser by them..fairly ole school metal....pretty good stuff

It looks like it's on the debut s/t record.

I'm just spinning that one now and it's pretty damn good stuff. :headbanger:

What year did Fireraiser come out?

I vaguely remember the name, but that's about it. I may have heard an odd track years ago but don't own anything by 'em.

Sorry. (Embarrassed)

I vaguely remember the name, but that's about it. I may have heard an odd track years ago but don't own anything by 'em.

Sorry. (Embarrassed)

It sounds like something you would dig so you should d/l them. :beerbang:

They have two cd releases that I believe they came out in 1990(but thats not the orginal release year) they were both on the EGNIMA/METAL BLADE label they are called the S/T and FIRERAISER

It appears that they also had a release called 'Electrickiss' but that might of never been released on cd.

They have two cd releases that I believe they came out in 1990(but thats not the orginal release year) they were both on the EGNIMA/METAL BLADE label they are called the S/T and FIRERAISER

It appears that they also had a release called 'Electrickiss' but that might of never been released on cd.

looks that way maybe one of the friendly record label owners might find the band and release it officailly or unofficaily

A-h-h-h......Torch......I remember the self titled ....... the sound is pretty good, not quite as raw and aggressive as the EP "Fireraiser". This is 80's metal and the sound is pretty good, although you do have to remember it was 1984, not 2008 when it was recorded. Osten Bidebo, the singer, is very good, he's energetic, driven and rough but clear....as I recall, the guitars are pretty good too. So all in all, it's a solid 80s album that also has that "rare mystique" going for it. Out and out metal from Sweden, two of the band's members went on to play with the band CRYSTAL PRIDE, remember them? I'm totally surprised to hear a US radio station playing it......I'll vote for that station!!!

I'm totally surprised to hear a US radio station playing it......I'll vote for that station!!!

I cannot for the life of me remember what the call letters were but we were right around the town of Blue Earth when I tuned it in. Saint Olaf college maybe? They followed the three Torch tracks up with three Motorhead tracks. Then it must have been a change in dj's because at the top of the hour they switched to some black history month deal and that was it for the good tunes.

I did check out the S/T Torch album and those were the songs. Damn they get my head banging! :headbanger:

Fireraiser came out in 1983 but my copy is a 'Metalblade" release from 1990...and it's an EP..

It has the classic NWOBHM sound ( some Priest, some Maiden some Motorhead)....

The ones listed over at Amazon both say they were released in 1990 but were originally released in 1983/1984.

• 2 months later...

looks that way maybe one of the friendly record label owners might find the band and release it officailly or unofficaily

I hope STORMSPELL is listening!

I have the self titled and fireraiser from metal blade records as well. Both cut-outs.

• 4 months later...

Eric (aka aMetalhead1966) hooked me up with a copy of the FIRERAISER EP a while back (in case I never thanked you for that, Eric, thanks dude!) and it's pretty good stuff. Will have to give it another spin now that I'm thinkin about it.

Eric (aka aMetalhead1966) hooked me up with a copy of the FIRERAISER EP a while back (in case I never thanked you for that, Eric, thanks dude!) and it's pretty good stuff. Will have to give it another spin now that I'm thinkin about it.

:drink: Yeah you thanked me Bro... :banger:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like Torch is back! Just read this on Blabbermouth.

Reunited Swedish Metallers TORCH Sign With HEART OF STEEL RECORDS - Mar. 5, 2009

Heart Of Steel Records has announced the signing of reformed '80s Swedish metallers TORCH for teh release of their new album, entitled "Dark Sinner". Due on April 3, the CD is said to be "best-of" collection of sorts, featuring re-recorded versions of the band's biggest and best songs as well as two never-before-released cuts.

"Dark Sinner" track listing:

01. Warlock

02. Beyond The Threshold Of Pain

03. Fire Raiser

04. Watcher Of The Night

05. Battle Axe

06. Hatchet Man

07. Gladiator

08. Sweet Desire

09. Electrikiss

10. Hot On Your Heels

11. Sinister Eyes

12. Thunderstruck

13. Beauty And The Beast

14. The Dark Sinner (previously unreleased track)

15. We Will Fight (previously unreleased track)

Following the release of "Dark Sinner", TORCH will embark on an european tour, plus they will spread some classic Swedish steel at one of biggest heavy metal festivals in Europe, the mighty Sweden Rock Festival, which will be held June 3-6, 2009.

Heart Of Steel general manager Primo Bonali commented: "I grew up with the music of TORCH as well as countless heavy metal band in the '80s. Still TORCH has always been one of my favourite european heavy metal bands. I remember buying the first TORCH album in a stinky and old record store specialized in used vinyls. It was a shock! I remember finding myself jumping in the living room at the sound of 'Warlock' and 'Beyond The Threshold Of Pain'!!! Then came out 'Electrikiss', the second album, and it was worth all the expectations. So it was very disappointing to know back then that the band split up after that album. Having now TORCH on my label is one of these 'dreams came true' that only a very that only a very few times in a lifetime happen! It happened. So I have to say thanks, first of all, to the band who believed in us, and then to all of you guys over there who always support the real heavy metal scene."

Looks like Torch is back! Just read this on Blabbermouth.

Reunited Swedish Metallers TORCH Sign With HEART OF STEEL RECORDS - Mar. 5, 2009

Heart Of Steel Records has announced the signing of reformed '80s Swedish metallers TORCH for teh release of their new album, entitled "Dark Sinner". Due on April 3, the CD is said to be "best-of" collection of sorts, featuring re-recorded versions of the band's biggest and best songs as well as two never-before-released cuts.

"Dark Sinner" track listing:

01. Warlock

02. Beyond The Threshold Of Pain

03. Fire Raiser

04. Watcher Of The Night

05. Battle Axe

06. Hatchet Man

07. Gladiator

08. Sweet Desire

09. Electrikiss

10. Hot On Your Heels

11. Sinister Eyes

12. Thunderstruck

13. Beauty And The Beast

14. The Dark Sinner (previously unreleased track)

15. We Will Fight (previously unreleased track)

Following the release of "Dark Sinner", TORCH will embark on an european tour, plus they will spread some classic Swedish steel at one of biggest heavy metal festivals in Europe, the mighty Sweden Rock Festival, which will be held June 3-6, 2009.

Heart Of Steel general manager Primo Bonali commented: "I grew up with the music of TORCH as well as countless heavy metal band in the '80s. Still TORCH has always been one of my favourite european heavy metal bands. I remember buying the first TORCH album in a stinky and old record store specialized in used vinyls. It was a shock! I remember finding myself jumping in the living room at the sound of 'Warlock' and 'Beyond The Threshold Of Pain'!!! Then came out 'Electrikiss', the second album, and it was worth all the expectations. So it was very disappointing to know back then that the band split up after that album. Having now TORCH on my label is one of these 'dreams came true' that only a very that only a very few times in a lifetime happen! It happened. So I have to say thanks, first of all, to the band who believed in us, and then to all of you guys over there who always support the real heavy metal scene."

Thanks for the update. I'm gonna hold on to hope (not my breath however) that the old stuff will get a reissue.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...