CRISTEEN- Way Back Home

heaven&hell

Yea, I remember seeing this band's ads in the Aquarian Weekly (a New Jersey music newspaper) back in the early 90s. I believe they were from the South Jersey (or possibly Philly) area. Never saw'em play, though.

They sound like pretty good stuff, that singer has a little bit o' Paul Stanley goin' on doesn't he? And that chorus is pure 70s KISS! :headbanger:

Dunno if they released any CDs but since they were local to my area, I can always keep my eyes peeled when I'm used CD shopping eh?

I have a YouTube account so I left a comment under this video asking if the band ever released any CDs. If I hear back from the guy who posted the video, I will report back on his reply.

On a side note, a quick Google search on the band's name doesn't come up with any info on the band (other than a link to that YouTube video!), but I did find this lovely creature who also goes by the name Cristeen .... apparently she's a model/singer based in Germany... me likee!! :lol:

35.jpg

34.jpg

12.jpg

39.jpg

Sorry to hijack your thread Wes, but I didn't think you'd mind if I went all :norks: on ya with these pix. :lol:

I have a YouTube account so I left a comment under this video asking if the band ever released any CDs. If I hear back from the guy who posted the video, I will report back on his reply.

On a side note, a quick Google search on the band's name doesn't come up with any info on the band (other than a link to that YouTube video!), but I did find this lovely creature who also goes by the name Cristeen .... apparently she's a model/singer based in Germany... me likee!! :lol:

35.jpg

34.jpg

12.jpg

39.jpg

Sorry to hijack your thread Wes, but I didn't think you'd mind if I went all :norks: on ya with these pix. :lol:

Nice very nice. :crazy:

Thanks for the pics and the info on the band of course.

35.jpg

34.jpg

12.jpg

39.jpg

Keith, don't you EVER (!!!!!) apologise again for adding something that delicious to a thread.

Got a reply from "MattPorterVideo," the guy who posted the Cristeen vid on YouTube (I believe he directed it!)... I asked if they'd ever released any CDs. Here's what he had to say.

THANKS for the comment on the Cristeen video!

As far as I know, they never released a cd...but they did have a few demo cassettes that were available back in the day.

I talked to the guitar player a while back and he said that he was working on remastering the stuff....don't I know if it will ever be available.....but I will let you know if I hear anything.....

-Matt

So there you go.

Got a reply from "MattPorterVideo," the guy who posted the Cristeen vid on YouTube (I believe he directed it!)... I asked if they'd ever released any CDs. Here's what he had to say.

THANKS for the comment on the Cristeen video!

As far as I know, they never released a cd...but they did have a few demo cassettes that were available back in the day.

I talked to the guitar player a while back and he said that he was working on remastering the stuff....don't I know if it will ever be available.....but I will let you know if I hear anything.....

-Matt

So there you go.

Thanks for the info Keef. :headbanger:

Maybe Sam is in the process of signing them to a record deal as I type this. :whistle:

Thanks for the info Keef. :headbanger:

Maybe Sam is in the process of signing them to a record deal as I type this. :whistle:

For the band's sake, I kinda hope not... :whistle:

Mark Porter did another video he has listed for the band Miss Behavin'........looks like that lead singer was one of the guys they interviewed in the Decline of the Western Civilization movie.....

Oh....and don't you think the Sam stuff gets old guys? Once they guy is banned you think it's all cutesy to bag on him and his label. One of the things you CAN'T bag on him is that his bands that are signed to Retrospect do get paid. How about adding some constructive shit to threads rather than lame comments about Retrospect..... *where's the beating a dead horse smiley when you need it* ....

Oh....and don't you think the Sam stuff gets old guys? Once they guy is banned you think it's all cutesy to bag on him and his label. One of the things you CAN'T bag on him is that his bands that are signed to Retrospect do get paid. How about adding some constructive shit to threads rather than lame comments about Retrospect..... *where's the beating a dead horse smiley when you need it* ....

Dude it was a f#@king joke. Okay.

You remember how he always said that the right people got paid and that's what counts?

That was just a play on that comment.

As for saying something constructive I feel like I've said many constructive things since being a member of this forum and that includes nice things I've said about Sam. Hell I even started a thread telling him how much I enjoyed the Defcon and Strikeforce discs.

JLP, seriously man, I thought it was quite obvious that we were goofin'. Lighten up, you'll live longer. :lol:

Just for the record, if Retrospect did happen to sign these guys, I'd gladly buy a CD... and I (probably) wouldn't even worry about it being silver pressed or not. :P

I know it's a 'joke' guys....I just started to see the 'let's jump on Retrospect train for a laugh' stuff comin' out of the woodwork after Sam was banned. Just hit a nerve is all.............carry on.......it's a new day.... LOL

I know it's a 'joke' guys....I just started to see the 'let's jump on Retrospect train for a laugh' stuff comin' out of the woodwork after Sam was banned. Just hit a nerve is all.............carry on.......it's a new day.... LOL

Sorry if we hit a nerve, but it's an easy "go-to" punch line for a cheap joke... y'know, like the BANEED thing, or the PLEASE REPLY NOW guy, y'know what I'm sayin'? I'm sure it'll die off eventually....

Damn you Wes, now I'm obsessed with finding out more info about this band... I'm not coming up with very much either. (I quickly learned that it was a waste of time to type "Cristeen" into Google Search because all it came up with was zillions of MySpace and Facebook pages for teenage girls who spell their name that way, haha)... the closest I've come to finding a reference to Cristeen anywhere was on a web site called "Musiciansforprogress.org," which I think was the charity that released that rash of "Kiss Online" tribute albums in the late 90s. Apparently a couple of the Cristeen guys resurfaced on one of those "KAOL" albums in a band called "The Fabulous." I have no idea how up to date this info is because as you can see it's from 2001...

The Fabulous

First Joined KAOL: 2001

Appeared on the releases: The Spirit of '78

The Fabulous are currently a trio hailing from the Philadelphia area. They recently have appeared on the independent release Stiff Competition: A Tribute To Cheap Trick, which also featured tracks from members of Starz, Angel, and Enuff Znuff. The band consists of former Band Of Thieves member John Buday on Lead Vocals/Guitars, and ex-Cristeen members Brian Pylant on Lead Vocals/Guitars, and Tom Stewart on Drums/Percussion. You may know Tom from the AOL Kiss Army Bulletin Boards as TWStewart3. All are veterans of the East Coast rock scene, sharing stages in the same dives/clubs in the mid to late 80s with bands like Britny Fox, Kix, Dirty Looks, etc. The band is influenced by the sights and sounds of 60s/70s bands like early KISS & Cheap Trick, The Beatles, The Who, ELO, The Raspberries, The Knack and modern faves like The Posies, Material Issue, Stereophonics, & Radiohead. The band's sound has been described as "the power chords and manic drumming of prime-era Who meets the melodic sense of Badfinger or The Beatles, with a little late 70s new wave thrown in for good measure".

Tom and John are the 2 big KISS fans of the band, having both discovered the magic that was KISS in 1975-1976, both being fortunate enough to have seen the original band live in the late 70s. Tom even ran a KISS fanzine called Animalized from 1984-87, which reached circulation of over 500 readers, which doesn't sound like MUCH but this was pre-internet days! Brian was introduced to the world of KISS via Tom when they played together in Cristeen in the early 90s.

Damn you Wes, now I'm obsessed with finding out more info about this band... I'm not coming up with very much either. (I quickly learned that it was a waste of time to type "Cristeen" into Google Search because all it came up with was zillions of MySpace and Facebook pages for teenage girls who spell their name that way, haha)... the closest I've come to finding a reference to Cristeen anywhere was on a web site called "Musiciansforprogress.org," which I think was the charity that released that rash of "Kiss Online" tribute albums in the late 90s. Apparently a couple of the Cristeen guys resurfaced on one of those "KAOL" albums in a band called "The Fabulous." I have no idea how up to date this info is because as you can see it's from 2001...

The Fabulous

First Joined KAOL: 2001

Appeared on the releases: The Spirit of '78

The Fabulous are currently a trio hailing from the Philadelphia area. They recently have appeared on the independent release Stiff Competition: A Tribute To Cheap Trick, which also featured tracks from members of Starz, Angel, and Enuff Znuff. The band consists of former Band Of Thieves member John Buday on Lead Vocals/Guitars, and ex-Cristeen members Brian Pylant on Lead Vocals/Guitars, and Tom Stewart on Drums/Percussion. You may know Tom from the AOL Kiss Army Bulletin Boards as TWStewart3. All are veterans of the East Coast rock scene, sharing stages in the same dives/clubs in the mid to late 80s with bands like Britny Fox, Kix, Dirty Looks, etc. The band is influenced by the sights and sounds of 60s/70s bands like early KISS & Cheap Trick, The Beatles, The Who, ELO, The Raspberries, The Knack and modern faves like The Posies, Material Issue, Stereophonics, & Radiohead. The band's sound has been described as "the power chords and manic drumming of prime-era Who meets the melodic sense of Badfinger or The Beatles, with a little late 70s new wave thrown in for good measure".

Tom and John are the 2 big KISS fans of the band, having both discovered the magic that was KISS in 1975-1976, both being fortunate enough to have seen the original band live in the late 70s. Tom even ran a KISS fanzine called Animalized from 1984-87, which reached circulation of over 500 readers, which doesn't sound like MUCH but this was pre-internet days! Brian was introduced to the world of KISS via Tom when they played together in Cristeen in the early 90s.

Thanks for the effort Keith. I'm having the same difficulties coming up with info.

I was sure some of our East Coast Board Members would remember or know these guys.

Thanks for the effort Keith. I'm having the same difficulties coming up with info.

I was sure some of our East Coast Board Members would remember or know these guys.

Yeah, really. Where are my fellow Jersey boys, Blue Charvel and zRock63? Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller? :unsure:

Got another message from that Matt Porter guy, I had asked him if he knew the whereabouts of any of the Cristeen guys

I know that the drummer and guitar player are in other bands...

they said that the bass player went to NYC and became a fireman.

The singer owns a pizza shop.

There's not much stuff on the web....

I did another video with them that I might post, but looking back at it, it is not as good as the one that I posted. Maybe I'll clean it up and add it. I'll let you know.

-m-

• 4 years later...

Bumpin a MAJORLY old thread here....

I had totally forgotten about this band, but a couple of days ago I happened to try an old YouTube login for an account I haven't used in a very long while and the video Wes posted at the top of this thread (five years ago!) was still saved in my "favorites" there. I was like "Oh sh*t, yeah, I remember this! Good stuff!!" and it got me searching for more. It looks like someone has added a few more of their tunes to YouTube in the interim....

[media=]http://youtu.be/5BmapNiyxkQ[/media]

[media=]http://youtu.be/f1dPS4YogFE[/media]

[media=]http://youtu.be/uwIYPPxbSug[/media]

All this got me curious again so I Googled the band's name and found a Facebook page...

http://www.facebook....334775573234341

... which has very little info on it except for an announcement (dated July 24 of this year) that they "just signed a deal with FnA Records," whoever that is. I found the FnA Records web site and don't see any info about Cristeen on there yet, but since that Facebook post is fairly recent they may not have added them yet. So who knows, we may still be able to get this band's tunes on CD sometime soon!! Neat-O.

I never saw this thread before. I saw this band (or at least a band called Christeen) way back when. I'm 95% sure it was at a club in Philly called "The Cell Block". It seems to me they were like the second band out of 5 to go on that night... This would make me believe they were a local Philly band.

Also... They have that "typically" Philly sound... It was fairly easy to guess where on the East Coast a band was from back in the day... Each major city seemed to have it's own style. It was always easy to tell Baltimore bands from Jersey bands and Philly bands just by listening to their sound and style.

• 9 months later...