Funeral For A Friend

Geoff

Okay, firstly I apologise if I am being controversial by posting this thread in the heavy metal forum. I thought about putting it in 'Other Styles' because I guess they're labelled as 'modern' or whatever you may, but to me their first two albums are excellent slabs of heavy rock bordering on metal. IMO, 'Casually dressed and deep in conversation' is impossible to flaw, and the follow-up 'Hours' is almost as good. These guys are easily one of the more consistent of modern hard rock/metal and from what I've heard of the new album due out in May, 'Tales don't tell themselves' they may just make themselves a household name this year. Anyone else like these guys?

Myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...riendid=1368156

Label:

http://www.atlanticrecords.com/funeralforafriend

Okay, firstly I apologise if I am being controversial by posting this thread in the heavy metal forum. I thought about putting it in 'Other Styles' because I guess they're labelled as 'modern' or whatever you may, but to me their first two albums are excellent slabs of heavy rock bordering on metal. IMO, 'Casually dressed and deep in conversation' is impossible to flaw, and the follow-up 'Hours' is almost as good. These guys are easily one of the more consistent of modern hard rock/metal and from what I've heard of the new album due out in May, 'Tales don't tell themselves' they may just make themselves a household name this year. Anyone else like these guys?

Myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...riendid=1368156

Label:

http://www.atlanticrecords.com/funeralforafriend

I do thanks to a certain Aussie.

Apparently the new album is a concept album based on the story of a man lost at sea trying to get back to his family.

Sounds very interesting.

For those interested, here's a track off the new disc. Sounds very different... very commercial (and awesome):

http://www.myfreedownload.co.uk/ffaf

Apparently the new album is a concept album based on the story of a man lost at sea trying to get back to his family.

Sounds very interesting.

For those interested, here's a track off the new disc. Sounds very different... very commercial (and awesome):

http://www.myfreedownload.co.uk/ffaf

I think that track sounds awesome, as does their new vid for "Into Oblivion" (which I posted in the youtube section). I will definitely pick up the new album, although I haven't been a fan of the past stuff. I have that first album but it just collects dust somewhere....

When was the last time you heard the disc, Tim (2)? It took a while to fully grow on me, but these days I think it's just fantastic, one of the top releases in the whole moder field. May be worth a revisit?

I just saw a detailed layout for the concept of the new disc... I think this is going to be really, really cool. I can't wait for this one!!!

When was the last time you heard the disc, Tim (2)? It took a while to fully grow on me, but these days I think it's just fantastic, one of the top releases in the whole moder field. May be worth a revisit?

I just saw a detailed layout for the concept of the new disc... I think this is going to be really, really cool. I can't wait for this one!!!

I must admit I did only play it a few times before casting it aside, maybe it's another I'll dig out. From what I heard of the 2nd album I really liked the singles, but this new stuff has me very interested indeed...

I must admit I did only play it a few times before casting it aside, maybe it's another I'll dig out. From what I heard of the 2nd album I really liked the singles, but this new stuff has me very interested indeed...

Yeah, the 2nd album 'Hours' is a very consistent peice of work. IMO not quite as good as 'Casually dressed...' - maybe not as heavy... but a very good album, IMO. The new one does sound like a bit of a prize already, I must admit.

• 1 month later...

Okay, so the new album's kind of made a mockery out of me posting this in the heavy metal section, but is anyone planning to get this one? New album's called 'Tales don't tell themselves' and IMO is excellent.

No more screaming, and no more bone crunching riffs, but this is still the FFAF of old. The melodies are all there, the catchy choruses and killer tunes. I personally love where they've taken this album and it may make this band easier to enjoy for many listeners here.

Would love to hear some thoughts on it if people get it. 'Into oblivion' is still my favourite track, but there are 9 potential singles on this album out of 10 tracks.

It is a pretty radical departure from their sound of old (something I'm pretty pleased about), but it's nice to finally get to hear the guy sing instead of scream. There sure are some killer tunes on this album, & even on the b-sides to the single (especially "Rise & Fall"). I've only played it once so need to get into it more, but this album will definitely make them huge & I can't wait to see them play live next month....

• 1 year later...
New album 'Memory and Humanity' due for release 13th October 2008!!!

I've had this since the weekend. Good album that definitely needs a few spins to get into, but it's much more like their early stuff & is less blatantly commercial than "Tales...". I still don't like "Waterfront Dance Club" at all, is the weakest track IMO, but pretty much all the rest is very good...

I've had this since the weekend. Good album that definitely needs a few spins to get into, but it's much more like their early stuff & is less blatantly commercial than "Tales...". I still don't like "Waterfront Dance Club" at all, is the weakest track IMO, but pretty much all the rest is very good...

Yeah, I've heard it's a complete throwback to the debut... which I have to admit is possibly still my favourite FFAF album... so I'm happy enough to hear it. It was heavy, there were screams... but this band has a knack for a killer chorus/hook - on all 3 previous discs.

GIMME IT!

Listened to some samples of this... sounds like the really nailed the production and heaviness of this disc. I read a review and it hinted towards that fact. I can't wait to hear this one.

I don't mind 'Waterfront Dance Club', but I agree with you 100% that it's by far the weakest song on the new album and the weakest song I've heard from the band overall. Not sure how or why that got selected as the first single as there isn't even a chorus in it!!

Anyway, as for the rest of the album - excellent. Again, I like every single song on this thing. I can see it growing even more after a few spins, but even on first listen I was blown away by a few songs: "Rules and Games", "To Die Like Mouchette", "Kicking and Screaming", "Maybe I Am?", "Beneath the Burning Tree" (Killer track!) and "Someday the Fire..." were all fantastic.

As for the sound of the album, for me it sits somewhere inbetween. It's still not nearly as heavy as the first two and there's no screaming (thankfully). A lot of the tracks I mentioned there are quite commercial, but like Tim said, there is a decent chunk that's not so blatantly commercial. I'd call this a mix between 'Tales don't tell themselves' and 'Hours' because they still don't really, really let loose like on their debut.

Another winner for me and I won't be surprised to see this end up as my 2nd favourite album of the year. Love these guys. They can't write a bad song (even though 'Waterfront...' is the closest they've gone).

I won't be surprised to see this end up as my 2nd favourite album of the year.

Mmmm behind what?? SOTY or Disciple?? :unsure:

So far it's behind SOTY, but yeah, it'll slot back to 3rd once Disciple hits the streets at number one :lol:. I'm also hoping to see Houston Calls somewhere up there too, but probably not mixing it with these three.

I agree, this is right up there on my list too. There are just so many killer songs on it, & the first 3 tracks are all stunning (the 4th is a filler). "Maybe I Am" and "Beneath the Burning Tree" are early faves of mine too, but nearly every chorus is killer. I didn't really like this band before the last album so am pleased to hear they've really just continued the melodic path, & even on some of the heavier tunes (like "Can't see the Forest for the Wolves") they have lush choruses. The guys vocals have just never sounded better either (check out "Building"). Seriously good album.

it'll slot back to 3rd once Disciple hits the streets at number one :lol:.

Im itching to hear the rest of those songs - just hope they are not like the title track.

As for FFAF..........havent heard this yet, but on yours and Tim's recommendation this sounds killer and is next on my list :drink:

I agree, this is right up there on my list too. There are just so many killer songs on it, & the first 3 tracks are all stunning (the 4th is a filler). "Maybe I Am" and "Beneath the Burning Tree" are early faves of mine too, but nearly every chorus is killer. I didn't really like this band before the last album so am pleased to hear they've really just continued the melodic path, & even on some of the heavier tunes (like "Can't see the Forest for the Wolves") they have lush choruses. The guys vocals have just never sounded better either (check out "Building"). Seriously good album.

Yeah, looks like we're pretty much identical on what the best tracks are. But even outside of those the album is overall wonderful. Indeed, great disc. :)

As for FFAF..........havent heard this yet, but on yours and Tim's recommendation this sounds killer and is next on my list :drink:

I would think you'll absolutely love this. The DigiPack is great (for once), very good quality. I love the band-written comments about each song as well, some interesting lyrics on this. Plus I think the first 3 songs make one of the greatest openings to an album ever, absolutely awesome tunes....

Yeah, the first 3 are killers. I have to admit, I'm liking 'Waterfront Danceclub.' and I don't know why. It may not even be my least favourite cut on the disc at the moment. HAHA! I still think it's a shit single because there's no chorus, no hook for the kids - I don't know what they think it's going to achieve... but goddamn if it's not actually a pretty enjoyable song. Still in the bottom 3 on the disc... but I can kind of see a little of it's appeal.