Funeral For A Friend

Geoff

• 1 year later...

Anyone heard the new 'Young and defenceless' EP? Interesting stuff. Sounds like they've gone back to heavier roots with a few screams even coming back into the tunes. The opener is the most melodic and my fave of the 4, and 'Damned if you do, dead if you don't' is one of the most interesting things FFAF have done. A lot of tempo changes and a downright killer riff when it gets down to it, but some terrible punk-style drums that wreck most the song. Not great, but interesting. Overall, the EP is a bit of a mystery. Not great, not bad... just inbetween. I will hope for more when a new CD is due.

Anyone heard the new 'Young and defenceless' EP? Interesting stuff. Sounds like they've gone back to heavier roots with a few screams even coming back into the tunes. The opener is the most melodic and my fave of the 4, and 'Damned if you do, dead if you don't' is one of the most interesting things FFAF have done. A lot of tempo changes and a downright killer riff when it gets down to it, but some terrible punk-style drums that wreck most the song. Not great, but interesting. Overall, the EP is a bit of a mystery. Not great, not bad... just inbetween. I will hope for more when a new CD is due.

Yeah I wasn't that impressed either. I would have to hear clips from a new disc before buying as there's too much good stuff around at the moment to warrant spending money on something of this quality IMO....

• 7 months later...

So has anyone (or do I just say Tim?) heard the new CD yet? 'Welcome home armageddon' is a pretty sweet piece of modern metal / rock. I'd call it a cross between the last album and their debut, perhaps? But in all honesty, not quite as good as either. In fact, at this early stage I might call this the weakest in their discography. Considering I am very fond of all their CDs and truly believe they have not written a proper filler yet, it's not really a bad thing. But jeez I wish they'd try their hand at another 'Tales don't tell themselves' styled album again.

Here's my favourite song on the CD - 'Owls (Are watching)':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7J615P5sRI

Elsewhere there's plenty of great riffs and good guitar as well. It's just that the songs maybe aren't quite as memorable as usual.