Human Nature by America and The Datsuns

Hey All, 

So I guess a lot of the cds that I've been submitting don't really fit on the site. Much like Small Town Titans and Collective Soul I wanted to get your thoughts on The Human Nature album by America and The Datsuns debut album. Personally I think that the America album is a departure from what they've done before and even though it's still folky definitely goes into AOR territory and The Datsuns album is 100% sleazy glam... sounds like GNR, Buckcherry, and some of the dirtier 70s bands. Curious what you guys think and if you feel like they fit. 

Ok, I just took a watch and listen to "The Datsuns" for the first time, as they are a band that was completely unfamiliar to me... and after that... I know why I never heard them before. This is neither hard rock nor sleaze glam to me... it's straight up punk rock IMO. Both musically and their imagery.

Now if people feel that punk rock as a genre should be added to HH, I'm willing to listen, but with respect to current genre limitations, I don't feel it at all.

I'd like to get input from a more broad cross section of regular HH members.

• 2023 Gold Donors
55 minutes ago, heavyharmonies said:

Ok, I just took a watch and listen to "The Datsuns" for the first time, as they are a band that was completely unfamiliar to me... and after that... I know why I never heard them before. This is neither hard rock nor sleaze glam to me... it's straight up punk rock IMO. Both musically and their imagery.

Now if people feel that punk rock as a genre should be added to HH, I'm willing to listen, but with respect to current genre limitations, I don't feel it at all.

I'd like to get input from a more broad cross section of regular HH members.

Punk should 100%, absolutely NOT be added to HH.

That's just my opinion. 

• Like 1

Well I guess if you are gonna call The Datsuns punk rock that's a fair call. I mean, you might be the first person to ever refer to them as punk, but fair enough if that is your opinion.

• Like 1

Never heard of The Datsuns before but after listening to several songs on YT, I don't hear punk, I hear rock so while I don't think punk should be on the site, The Datsuns sound like they should be here...Maybe my def of punk is dated? I think of bands like the Ramones and Black Flag as punk...

• Like 2

Maybe because their singer has a snotty voice and some of their songs are fast but they're definitely more of a sleaze glam revival band. I mean The Donnas are on the site and they're basically a punk band with big riffs. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think you'd ever hear a solo like this in a punk song but obviously this is your site and punk DEFINITELY doesn't belong, I just really don't see The Datsuns as a punk band but if that's where you think they fall then I withdraw my submission. 

https://youtu.be/o_DHCL2Q2d0?si=LLyuc4pH--tSFfMZ

Edited by Dramarama

I mean Harmonic Generator??? This track is dripping with 70s sleazy goodness but legitimately I leave it to the masses and throw myself on the mercy of the court  :-) honestly, I'm just playing around. My whole point on submitting these bands is because I feel like they belong AND that the folks who frequent the site will enjoy them. If they don't/won't then by all means they shouldn't be included.  

• 2023 Gold Donors
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, auslander said:

Well I guess if you are gonna call The Datsuns punk rock that's a fair call. I mean, you might be the first person to ever refer to them as punk, but fair enough if that is your opinion.

My comment was in response to Dan's question regarding Punk.

Nothing to do with The Datsuns.

I was a big fan of the 120Y

Edited by Darkstone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Darkstone said:

My comment was in response to Dan's question regarding Punk.

Nothing to do with The Datsuns.

I was a big fan of the 120Y

I was responding to Dan as well. I guess you could refer to Motley Crue's first album as punk if that is the same reasoning put on The Datsuns. I'm not a Datsuns fan by any stretch but I don't think I would ever have thought they'd be classed as punk. If the only bands who get on HH are ones we really like it would be a smaller database lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dramarama said:

I don't think you'd ever hear a solo like this in a punk song but obviously this is your site and punk DEFINITELY doesn't belong, I just really don't see The Datsuns as a punk band but if that's where you think they fall then I withdraw my submission. 

https://youtu.be/o_DHCL2Q2d0?si=LLyuc4pH--tSFfMZ

I think your sleaze glam (70s style) is a very good description of their main sound.

• Like 1

I don't like it, but I guess my son would. At least it sounds like the bands he's listening to. And those bands he mostly describes as garage rock.

I just listened to their most played songs on Spotifiy and wouldn't call it 100 % punk either. But it's definitely closer to Punk than to AOR. B)

Definitely never thought they were AOR, was putting them on the hard rock side of things.