The Broken View

Geoff

14 hours ago, Ponen said:

Totally agree with you on the evolution thing. Warrant's Dog Eat Dog is one fine example. That album took me by surprise. Was already a huge fan of Jani Lane and Warrant after DRSFR and Cherry Pie, so when I heard DED the first time, I couldn't tell whether I should be excited or disappointed. It just sounded so different. But with time, it gradually became my favorite Warrant album and one of my all time fave albums.

Anyways, good to know an album is on the horizon. Will definitely look forward to it. The running story idea is very interesting and quite uncommon at the same time. Lol, I have watched all their videos but had no clue that they were all just one story. Even concept album idea is very interesting. Operation Mindcrime was the introduction for me. Still love that album to this day.

Just out of curiosity. What if Cauterize had dropped their debut album only around the beginning of this year lol.. Still, The Broken View takes the trophy? 😂

Yep, me reflected on the Warrant comments. It was such a massive departure, but it is very easily my favourite Warrant album (though I still love the others) and also one of my all time faves. 

Yeah, I've watched all the videos too and didn't know there was an ongoing story either. The band themselves did say it was complicated, even as the authors and filmers of it. They actually floated the idea that when the story is finished, they were thinking about releasing the story as a short film, minus the music video parts. Just the story alone. That'd be cool too. 

Just 'cause I do these things, I was watching a reaction guy on youtube go through a bunch of their videos last night and laughed aloud a few times at him trying to decipher it all. Maybe when I have the time I'll give it a crack too. 

Haha, you pose and interesting question regarding Cauterize. And a very complicated one. I love the two bands (and debut albums) for near on the exact same reason, but in delivery, they're near on polar opposites. 

Cauterize's debut is like an onslaught of pure, fast-paced, raw and emotive weaponry, where as The Broken View's debut album (and EP) carry the same amount of heavy emotive impact; just dressed in a far more considered, refined and immaculately delivered approach. But in absolutely no way at all, less emotive and hard hitting than Cauterize. One could argue even more so, I do not doubt. 

So I don't know. At this point in time I would say these two are my all-time favourite artists, but maybe I need this new The Broken View album to break the tie. 

I could mention Cauterize alongside Warrant in my comments above, about bands that retained their excellence, even if their next album was a massive shift from the previous album, as Cauterize's 'Paper Wings' is a completely different beast to 'So Far From Real.' 

And I do feel like there's no way - even if they wanted to - that The Broken View could replicate their debut, with a lifetime of everything that made up that album (and EP) poured into that album. So it'll be interesting to hear how the next album stacks up. That first single - 'Something you can give yourself' - shows we could be in for a slightly unpredictable ride. 

lol, I am rambling but I guess in a pinch I am undecided on my overall favourite. I will say that where the most common critique I saw levelled at Cauterize was Jesse's vocals, this dude in The Broken View (Austin Kranick) is my current favourite vocalist and I can't see any reason why I wouldn't list him in my top 3 all time faves. Absolutely love his voice. Throw in the massive drum sound and immaculate production and there's every chance that if you call them even or thereabouts on a songwriting level, all the other bits might just push The Broken View into the #1 spot for me. 

Sorry mate, bet you didn't expect a novel. Just so rare to find a band that really sticks out from the pack, and it's a sweet thing when it occurs.    

On 11/21/2023 at 2:33 PM, Geoff said:

Yep, me reflected on the Warrant comments. It was such a massive departure, but it is very easily my favourite Warrant album (though I still love the others) and also one of my all time faves. 

Yeah, I've watched all the videos too and didn't know there was an ongoing story either. The band themselves did say it was complicated, even as the authors and filmers of it. They actually floated the idea that when the story is finished, they were thinking about releasing the story as a short film, minus the music video parts. Just the story alone. That'd be cool too. 

Just 'cause I do these things, I was watching a reaction guy on youtube go through a bunch of their videos last night and laughed aloud a few times at him trying to decipher it all. Maybe when I have the time I'll give it a crack too. 

Haha, you pose and interesting question regarding Cauterize. And a very complicated one. I love the two bands (and debut albums) for near on the exact same reason, but in delivery, they're near on polar opposites. 

Cauterize's debut is like an onslaught of pure, fast-paced, raw and emotive weaponry, where as The Broken View's debut album (and EP) carry the same amount of heavy emotive impact; just dressed in a far more considered, refined and immaculately delivered approach. But in absolutely no way at all, less emotive and hard hitting than Cauterize. One could argue even more so, I do not doubt. 

So I don't know. At this point in time I would say these two are my all-time favourite artists, but maybe I need this new The Broken View album to break the tie. 

I could mention Cauterize alongside Warrant in my comments above, about bands that retained their excellence, even if their next album was a massive shift from the previous album, as Cauterize's 'Paper Wings' is a completely different beast to 'So Far From Real.' 

And I do feel like there's no way - even if they wanted to - that The Broken View could replicate their debut, with a lifetime of everything that made up that album (and EP) poured into that album. So it'll be interesting to hear how the next album stacks up. That first single - 'Something you can give yourself' - shows we could be in for a slightly unpredictable ride. 

lol, I am rambling but I guess in a pinch I am undecided on my overall favourite. I will say that where the most common critique I saw levelled at Cauterize was Jesse's vocals, this dude in The Broken View (Austin Kranick) is my current favourite vocalist and I can't see any reason why I wouldn't list him in my top 3 all time faves. Absolutely love his voice. Throw in the massive drum sound and immaculate production and there's every chance that if you call them even or thereabouts on a songwriting level, all the other bits might just push The Broken View into the #1 spot for me. 

Sorry mate, bet you didn't expect a novel. Just so rare to find a band that really sticks out from the pack, and it's a sweet thing when it occurs.    

Haha, yeah would love to check out the reaction videos on YouTube. 

Yes, your point about bands with excellent debut albums going on to deliver a follow up album with a massive shift in style but just as good or even better than the previous album is a valid point. Speaking of the two bands, Cauterize did exactly that. Man, as I write this, just realising there will never be another Cauterize as far as their genre is concerned. They were soooo good!! As for The Broken View, I agree in some months time, will know wether they are really a class apart from the pack or gonna be an anti climax lol. But yes, production wise, vocals wise - better than Cauterize. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another new song dropped today;

Getting a bit nervous that by the time the new album drops in March 2024 we'll be at least half the album or more in on these singles. Don't get me wrong; love hearing the new songs but it's always a bit of a bummer when a new album drops and there's essentially only five new songs as you've already heard the other five. 

Anyway, I know I listen to these guys with rose coloured ears, but even that aside, I love this new track. My second favourite of the three new ones. It seems pretty evident that the new album probably isn't going to have the emotive impact of the previous album, but I don't think anything else will be lost. There's something I really love about this new track - the kind of darker groove, for lack of a better description. Not sure how to word it, but I'm completely into it. 

For anyone paying attention - which could just be me and you, Ponen - this song is actually a brand new storyline, that will also play out throughout future videos. The previous story is not finished and will continue in - I think they said - the next music video? But this is a new storyline too. I believe they mentioned the possibility of the two storylines possibly combining later on. Like I said above, really interesting dudes with a lot of cool stuff going on in their heads. 

For anyone just interested in the tune, it starts at about 1:08 mins in. 

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
14 hours ago, Geoff said:

Another new song dropped today;

Getting a bit nervous that by the time the new album drops in March 2024 we'll be at least half the album or more in on these singles. Don't get me wrong; love hearing the new songs but it's always a bit of a bummer when a new album drops and there's essentially only five new songs as you've already heard the other five. 

Anyway, I know I listen to these guys with rose coloured ears, but even that aside, I love this new track. My second favourite of the three new ones. It seems pretty evident that the new album probably isn't going to have the emotive impact of the previous album, but I don't think anything else will be lost. There's something I really love about this new track - the kind of darker groove, for lack of a better description. Not sure how to word it, but I'm completely into it. 

For anyone paying attention - which could just be me and you, Ponen - this song is actually a brand new storyline, that will also play out throughout future videos. The previous story is not finished and will continue in - I think they said - the next music video? But this is a new storyline too. I believe they mentioned the possibility of the two storylines possibly combining later on. Like I said above, really interesting dudes with a lot of cool stuff going on in their heads. 

For anyone just interested in the tune, it starts at about 1:08 mins in. 

Similar situation with ModX, and others, but if the music's good the music's good. 

On 12/17/2023 at 9:59 AM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Similar situation with ModX, and others, but if the music's good the music's good. 

Yeah, seems to happen a bit more these days. By random, the first time I vividly recall it being a thing was with Wigelius' second album, where half of that had dropped by the time that (christforsaken goshdarn gem of an) album was released. 

• My Little Pony
On 12/18/2023 at 3:45 AM, Geoff said:

Yeah, seems to happen a bit more these days. By random, the first time I vividly recall it being a thing was with Wigelius' second album, where half of that had dropped by the time that (christforsaken goshdarn gem of an) album was released. 

Dammit, whatever happened to Wigelius??

Wow, I must have completely misremembered folk's reception to that album. I knew it wasn't panned by the critics, by any means, but for some reason I thought I was the only one who really loved it. 

5 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Dammit, whatever happened to Wigelius??

Wow, I must have completely misremembered folk's reception to that album. I knew it wasn't panned by the critics, by any means, but for some reason I thought I was the only one who really loved it. 

I doubt that, strongly. It is an absolutely excellent album and I'd be floored if any fan of "our music" would disagree. 

Yeah, I have no idea what happened to them. I remember hearing/reading somewhere along the way that they weren't an always together playing and touring kind of band, but that new music was always still a possibility. But where are we at now? Seven years since the last album. I think it's sadly safe to assume there may not be another due to the extended amount of radio silence.  

I also wonder what happened to White Widdow. 

• 1 month later...

There will be a day when someone other than Ponen and I realise how exceptional this band is, and on that day I don't want to be accused of holding out on y'all future fans, so they dropped another short film oh whoops I mean song on Friday. 

I obviously absolutely love these guys, but as musicians, I really don't think they're doing themselves any favours, lol. I do understand it, though. As a confessed groupie, I have watched all their podcasts and these guys are essentially film makers, who also happen to have a love for music, on the side. They've even said on this podcast that if it came down to a future career in film, OR a future career in music, they'd go with film. Here's hoping they can keep both passions fuelled, because they are far too good at music to fade into obscurity. 

Anyway, here's the new song, with the video continuing on from a previous storyline from their previous most recent release. For anyone just interested in the song, it kicks in at 8min (!!) and is a stunner. Chills during the opening verse on first listen for this guy;

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, Geoff said:

There will be a day when someone other than Ponen and I realise how exceptional this band is, and on that day I don't want to be accused of holding out on y'all future fans, so they dropped another short film oh whoops I mean song on Friday. 

I obviously absolutely love these guys, but as musicians, I really don't think they're doing themselves any favours, lol. I do understand it, though. As a confessed groupie, I have watched all their podcasts and these guys are essentially film makers, who also happen to have a love for music, on the side. They've even said on this podcast that if it came down to a future career in film, OR a future career in music, they'd go with film. Here's hoping they can keep both passions fuelled, because they are far too good at music to fade into obscurity. 

Anyway, here's the new song, with the video continuing on from a previous storyline from their previous most recent release. For anyone just interested in the song, it kicks in at 8min (!!) and is a stunner. Chills during the opening verse on first listen for this guy;

Should I be watching these videos? I haven't bothered, because music videos are usually fairly cringe.

6 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Should I be watching these videos? I haven't bothered, because music videos are usually fairly cringe.

This one’s getting pretty out there, but generally speaking their music videos are pretty decent. It’s all about the songs for me, though. That’s all you really need to hear. 

• 4 weeks later...

New album out now;

hq720.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEXCK4FEIIDSFryq4qpAw

1. Heart of Glass
2. Something You Can Give Yourself
3. Closer
4. Better For You
5. The Fool
6. Need a Friend
7. Ordinary Love
8. The Morning
9. In Too Deep
10. Don't Hold Your Breath
11. I'll Be There (You'll Never Have to Ask)
12. The Weight of Your World

https://music.apple.com/us/album/heart-of-glass/1724791172?i=1724791173

https://open.spotify.com/album/1Wr0qhsqiw1nqe4NRr3HWX

https://www.thebrokenview.com/product-page/ordinary-love-physical-cd

Full album;

Been sitting on this one, waiting for it to drop and I've rammed it into my ears this evening, which is something I just don't do these days, or really ever. But such was my anticipation for this.

As forecast, it's a beauty. It's generally a more "laid back" album than 'On The Mend.' Less angsty, and I guess not as instant, one would say. I could see most, if not all the songs really growing with repeated listens, whereas 'On The Mend' was laid out bare before you, instantly. But this one, predictably, sounds like a million dollars, production wise. If there's a better vocalist in modern rock at the moment, I am unaware of him, and the hooks are plentiful and well in tact. Some beautiful instrumentation too. If you have enjoyed the EP and 'On The Mend' there's absolutely no reason you won't thoroughly enjoy this one too. Looking forward to countless repeated listens of this one... might even sneak in round two before bed tonight.  

Why not? Spinning it again, editing some photos with a beer, so why not drop a thought or two on a track by track basis;

1. Heart of Glass ; nice very mellow opener, almost like an extended intro. Beautiful mood/atmosphere and a great track inviting the listener to grab a Six Strings Dark Red IPA and sit down to get immersed. Some kind of dark sounds in a hooky, sweet chorus. 

2. Something You Can Give Yourself ; first single from the album which is a slightly different, more poppy vibe for the band. Super catchy/hooky, with infectious chorus keys that stick in the ear cavity. Great pop rock song. 

3. Closer ; most recent single and arguably my favourite single, but now I'm not sure. I love them all, but this has such a dark, sultry vibe with an absolute monster chorus hook. One of the album's best.  

4. Better For You ; mellow, sultry again. Love the guitar parts in this one, and another really strong, catchy chorus. Super catchy, easy to listen to song. 

5. The Fool ; duet with a female vocalist. I don't get many details on Apple music but if I had to guess I'd think this might be the same lady that featured in the duet on the previous album. She has a nice voice and it's a good song. Another big chorus layered with strong hooks and appealing instrumentation. Good song, and one I can see really growing too.  

6. Need a Friend ; another of the singles and hearing them all back to back, very fair chance this might be my pick of the singles. Can't speak highly enough of this dude's voice, and his vocals are sublime on this one. Chorus and the hooks it possesses are perfect too. Yeah this one could be my pick. Love it. Angst-wise, probably as close as this album gets to 'On The Mend' too. 

7. Ordinary Love ; or is this one my favourite? Another of the many singles. More absolutely sublime vocals, super sexy groove and another massive, hook laden chorus. Nice little rhythm guitar solo too, lol. Incredibly catchy and heavenly on the ears. 

8. The Morning ; and here comenceth the truly fresh, brand new section of the album, void of any more of the already released singles. Stripped back, super smooth song with the vocals again (speaking of smoothness) smooth enough to butter your toast with in the morning. Another nice little solo and strong chorus hooks again.  

9. In Too Deep ; I remember them talking about this song on one of their podcasts; just can't remember the context. This will surely be the next single, I'd guess. Easily on par with the best songs on the album. Another huge chorus with the production sounding a million dollars. I think I pay more attention to the drums in this band because the core of the band is the lead singer and drummer, and drums sound incredible across the whole album. Really vibing with them on this tune. Killer cut.  

10. Don't Hold Your Breath ; drums, vocals, production, groove, hooks, chorus, harmonies, did I mention the vocals... nothing skipped or glossed over, again. Typically flawless TBV tune they seem to be able to write in their sleep. 

11. I'll Be There (You'll Never Have to Ask) ; probably the most subdued song on the album. A bit like a smooth kind of pop rock tune. Still can't fault it in any way. Vocals just caressing my ears and another strong chorus hook. Poppy, but a very nice tune. 

12. The Weight of Your World ; another very sudbued, mellow tune to close out the album, I guess in the same way it began. Drums and vocals shine like diamonds again. and this song is a bit of a different structure. There's a beautiful (just over) mid section that draws me in completely. Turns out it's actually the outro, leading into an extended piano closure to the album. A soothing wind-down, I'd call it. 

And there we go. One EP and two albums in and I still can't find a filler from these guys. Initial listen, I thought this was a fair way off 'On The Mend' and when it's all said and done I think that album will be pretty untouchable. But only second listen in and I'm realising it won't be as clear-cut as I might have originally thought. This is pure class, and I don't really want to make any predictions as to where this might sit after a few months with it. One thing for sure, is that it was well and truly worth the wait and I am thoroughly fulfilled.  

Yep, totally pumped for this one. Gonna give it a listen tonight. Been super busy the last couple of months, have to catch up on a lot which I ll do so not before long. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • My Little Pony

Really solid album. I was tryna place their sound, and I think if you take all the melancholic tunes from the 1975 (their best songs) you get the Broken View. I don't love the mix--it sounds a bit muddy--but it's not enough to keep me from listening to this over and over. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 4:53 AM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Really solid album. I was tryna place their sound, and I think if you take all the melancholic tunes from the 1975 (their best songs) you get the Broken View. I don't love the mix--it sounds a bit muddy--but it's not enough to keep me from listening to this over and over. 

I've spent moments thinking what other bands they sound like and I can never come up with any similar enough to pinpoint one. The 1975 is an interesting call and not one I'd thought of, but I guess I can see how you'd get there. 

I also hear what you're hearing with the muddy mix, but I also find that it is not across the board. To me, a lot of the album sounds pristine, but there are definitely muddier moments. Namely the chorus in the first song. And a couple of the "heavier" moments. For me, I've put this down to the new producer in the picture.

This time around they brought a dude from Blue October in to either produce, or co-produce the album. I'm not overly familiar with Blue October, but my immediate thought when I hear their name is that muffled, I guess "muddy" type of sound, which as far as I can tell is actually part of who they are. And maybe the dude's brought a bit of that to the fold here. Because if I understand correctly, the two previous releases were completely self-produced, and sounded flawless. So it'll be interesting going forward to see what they do with production. 

But yeah, like you say, nothing to take away from the quality of the album. And as above, I do find a lot of it to sound stellar - particularly the softer vocal moments, which is a lot of the album. Dude's voice is sweet chocolate in my ears.