Forgotten Hard Rock Albums: Cry Wolf - "Crunch" (1990)

AlphaMale

Another in my series of forgotten hard rock albums. Cry Wolf released their debut album back in 1989, but the first I had heard of them was 1990's follow-up "Crunch". Released on the same label as Lion and White Lion (Grand Slamm Records), I knew they had to be in the same vein.

I was not disappointed. These guys weren't the most original band but this is a solid release! 

Some of my favorites:

Edited by AlphaMale

Love this,as you say nothing original but I always thought they were a little different,think it was just the voice...grabbed this on import cassette after hearing "Pretender" again on MTV Headbangers Ball ...loved it and couldn't get it out of my head,but it took a few more months before I got the album...still listen to it regularly   :)

Edited by lettard

I could be in the minority, but I think 'Pretender' was a really bad single choice. The song does nothing at all for me. 

'West wind blows' is the clear stand-out for me and one of my favourite tunes from the era. 'Face down in the wishing well' is a killer tune too, and I always loved 'Long hard road.' Choice ballad. Overall, a good album but admittedly not filler free. 

Never heard of Twenty Ten before now. Listened to Crutch. Production is top notch and the musicianship and vocals are bang on. I even don't mind the song on its own but hearing about Cry Wolf reuniting for new material all these years later, I would have been majorly disappointed by their approach as well.

Any differences between the s/t japan release and Crunch to warrant buying one over the other or owning both?

Just a few different tracks "It Ain't Enough" & "Wings" plus a cover version of "I Am The Walrus" and a different running order on the s/t , Crunch has "Road To Ruin" , "On The Run" &"Dirty Dog Night" instead.

Personally i'd go with Crunch

Edited by lettard

On 1/31/2020 at 12:59 PM, lettard said:

Just a few different tracks "It Ain't Enough" & "Wings" plus a cover version of "I Am The Walrus" and a different running order on the s/t , Crunch has "Road To Ruin" , "On The Run" &"Dirty Dog Night" instead.

Personally i'd go with Crunch

I'd also go with Crunch over the S/T debut, if for no other reason than it had the better production.  As you mentioned, several songs are the same and of the tracks that differed none from the S/T really stood out, so not really worth buying both, imo.  I recall purchasing this cd during the mid-90's, following a recommendation from a friend.  A few fillers, but overall a very enjoyable album

• Like 1