Def Leppard - Hysteria 2013

Stefan

I didn't know this until now and this is almost 7 years old.

From a comment on Youtube:

If you don't know why they re-recorded it, the real story is that Universal (their former record company) refused to pay the band a fair amount for digital downloads (8 cents per download), so the band had their lawyer take all the original recordings (including their less popular albums) out of the downloading market. They re-recorded their hits because Bludgeon Riffola is a full-fledged record company, and by releasing the newer versions, they were able to make more than 70% of the revenue and stick the finger at Universal. I know many people were disappointed that they re-released Slang out of all albums. This is because the band now owns the catalogs of the album, so they released the deluxe edition instead of Universal. Because of this, I really don't see anymore re-releases in a while (even for the newer albums). Now, they are no longer with Universal, and they're pretty much on their own now. This band has truly taught me about how cruel the music industry can be.

A bit factually incorrect in that post.

For starters, Hysteria was re-released again in what, 2017 as a three disc set with two live discs, and was released by Phonogram, which is part of Universal music.

Bludgeon Riffola is their own label, yes, but they still use other record labels for distribution. The self titled album from memory was through Ear music (or whatever the labels name is).

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

A bit factually incorrect in that post.

For starters, Hysteria was re-released again in what, 2017 as a three disc set with two live discs, and was released by Phonogram, which is part of Universal music.

Bludgeon Riffola is their own label, yes, but they still use other record labels for distribution. The self titled album from memory was through Ear music (or whatever the labels name is).

Self title was release their own label.

Ear Music has a lot of Bands on their roster, e.g. Europe, Alice Cooper and Thunder.

I'm a bit confused. Was this a studio recording, or just a live recording? I can't find anything on a studio re-recording of Hysteria. 

19 hours ago, Doggy said:

Self title was release their own label.

Ear Music has a lot of Bands on their roster, e.g. Europe, Alice Cooper and Thunder.

Nope. Got my CD sitting in front of me and it clearly has Ear Music as the record label. All their albums are released through Bludgeon, but Bludgeon does not have its own distribution so has to partner with a proper label for that. From what I can tell its Ear Music in Europe, Mailboat in USA and a couple of other labels in other countries.

Hell, even the entry on this site has the code on the spine as being Mailboats code.

Check the release data on Discogs.

https://www.discogs.com/Def-Leppard-Def-Leppard/master/905339

8 hours ago, Geoff said:

I'm a bit confused. Was this a studio recording, or just a live recording? I can't find anything on a studio re-recording of Hysteria. 

They re-recorded several tracks back then, not a whole album. I am sure there was even a topic on this back when they did it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...