AGE STEN NILSEN (Ammunition, Wig Wam) – Crossing The Rubicon (2019)

AlphaMale

AGE-STEN-NILSEN-Crossing-The-Rubicon-fro

from various internet sources:

Norwegian rocker AGE STEN NILSEN is releasing his fifth solo album “Crossing The Rubicon”, entirely sung in English. Best known for his melodic hard rocking bands Ammunition, and years ago Wig Wam.

The album is properly titled – the expression means a risky step ahead – as Nilsen go here for his love of Classic Rock, happy-pop with the ’60s spirit, campfire-like songs with non traditional instruments, and some rock tunes, of course.

To be honest, we at this blog didn’t like Nilsen’s previous solo album, acoustically based and with some lyrics in his native language. “Crossing The Rubicon”, while not the regular hard / melodic rock featured here, it’s a joyful, gentle recording.

Nilsen starts the record with ‘Ease My Closure’, a piano ballad. Since the start, a brave move, as this type of songs are usually placed at the on of a CD. It’s a very good, emotional ballad, showcasing the singer’s vocal colors.

‘Crossing The Rubicon’ is a rocker with cool classic rock guitars and organ runs, ‘Ghost on the Wall’ adds a Celtic touch yet in uptempo mode, while ‘A Love Like Our’ brings to mind Donnie Vie last solo album.

In fact, the overall atmosphere in this album reminds me of Donnie Vie indeed.

‘Into the Great Unknown’ is one of the highlights here, an extremely melodic song with some ELO / Jeff Lynne on it, and the chorus is irresistible.

Personal, organic, classic rock oriented, “Crossing The Rubicon” shows the other side of Åge Sten Nilsen, a much more wider and interesting artist than just a melodic hard rock pony.

The album is highly enjoyable from start to finish, with songs around the 3 minute mark, all melodic and well recorded / produced.

Highly Recommended

Tracklist:

01 – Ease My Closure
02 – Crossing the Rubicon
03 – Ghost on the Wall
04 – A Love Like Our
05 – Into the Great Unknown
06 – Baby Don’t Be Leave
07 – Need Him Now
08 – Fire Meets Fire
09 – Jupiter and Venus
10 – House on Fire
11 – What’s My Name
12 – One of You Own

BUY IT
www.bookspot.nl/muziek/crossing-the-rubicon-age-sten-nilsen-7033662046331

• My Little Pony

Surprise, surprise; I don't hate this. Some decent tunes. But this doesn't belong in this thread. It should be in the "Other Music Styles."

Referencing old bands it really hit and miss.

Saw on my Facebook feed the otehr day 
"welcome to your new Aussie anthem"
It was a song promoted as a collaboration between wolfmother and Jet.
Turns out to be the wolfmother singer and Jet drummer.
Now unless the drummer and the singer wrote their respective bands music (or collaborated) it all redundant

Also, the song was absolute shit (I'm not a woldmother fan so it was always going to be rubbish for me I guess)

I opened this thread when I saw Wig Wam lol

Edited by CureTheSane

8 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Referencing old bands it really hit and miss.

Saw on my Facebook feed the otehr day 
"welcome to your new Aussie anthem"
It was a song promoted as a collaboration between wolfmother and Jet.
Turns out to be the wolfmother singer and Jet drummer.
Now unless the drummer and the singer wrote their respective bands music (or collaborated) it all redundant

Also, the song was absolute shit (I'm not a woldmother fan so it was always going to be rubbish for me I guess)

I opened this thread when I saw Wig Wam lol

Jet alone are like dying of syphilis. Wolfmother alone are like dying of syphilis and AIDS together. The idea of these two together is something I cannot even express. Unless Karpetface asks me to. 

12 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Would you at least try?

Yes, I will try for you. 

It, is absolute rubbish. If I vomited tonight it would sound significantly better than this album. Send me a transcript of your last sermon so we can test it out.   

13 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

I loved Jet

Haha. Good one, mate. I guess I like flying on planes too.

But how fucking atrocious was the Aussie rock band, Jet? Yuck. ;)

Edited by Geoff