Sad

PetraGirl86

The 80's here in Baltimore were fucking amazing. I often wish I had been born just a few years earlier. In the mid 80's through about 1992, the music scene here was KILLER. We had so many rock clubs with live music. Every night I was with friends at a different club to see so many of these amazing talented bands. It was like living in LA or NY. 

But as soon as grunge hit, it was all gone. One by one, clubs started closing left and right. The ones who remained (even the legendary HAMMERJACKS) turned in rap/hip-hop clubs. It was sickening and very depressing.

From 1985-1992...... the best of times.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I don't know if I'd want to live through the 80's. I rather that these bands were all starting out in this decade. With the access to information through the internets, and the ease of travel these days, I wish it was all happening right now. 

How many of these old bastards actually knew all of these bands back in the day? Were exposed to their music? Had these bands play in their city? I live 45 minutes outside Vancouver, Canada. Vancouver has, and I'm pretty sure always had, a shit Rock scene. I saw Night Ranger a few years ago, and they said they hadn't been to Vancouver since 1985. Also, back in the day, it apparently took nearly two hours to get into the city. 

Yeah, it'd be great to live in the heydays of our favourite genre. As long as we still had all the knowledge of bands we have now. 

I was hanging out with a dude last week who also shared our love for this music. He's 45, and yet I knew more artists than him. He just recently discovered Hardline. And he's only now discovering the new bands. We talk about festivals needing to book the new bands, but I think the majority of people who grew up with this music are content with the few bands they still listen to, and don't care to expand their library. 

And as for being able to discuss this music with my friends: like others have mentioned, just because this music was at its peak in the 80's doesn't mean everyone in the 80's enjoyed it. I'm not gonna lie, it was great to talk shop with that dude for a whole week. That's not an experience I've had before. I don't share this interest with my friends--well, one friend likes the old Christian bands (Whiteheart, Allies, DeGarmo & Key, Petra, and Elefante). I have many friends, and we all have something different in common. Not everything has to be about music.  

True, true, who is this friend who likes the old Christian bands, though? How old? Just curious- they're cool! :drink:

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, PetraGirl86 said:

True, true, who is this friend who likes the old Christian bands, though? How old? Just curious- they're cool! :drink:

He's 39. 

9 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

He's 39. 

Nice nice- you should tell him that I think he's a cool dude next time you happen to talk to him 😜

15 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I have many friends

Am I your favourite one? We are close friends, aren't we?