Dream Theater - Distance Over Time

Dead Planet

• 1 month later...

Waaaaay better than the pathetic The Astonishing from a few years ago. 

The tracks are solid, not Images and Words awesome but solid. 

They finally put Jordan Rudess on a leash with focusing on more guitar and finally some bass. 

Any fan of DT should enjoy this one. 

18 hours ago, zacharyamelie said:

Waaaaay better than the pathetic The Astonishing from a few years ago. 

The tracks are solid, not Images and Words awesome but solid. 

They finally put Jordan Rudess on a leash with focusing on more guitar and finally some bass. 

Any fan of DT should enjoy this one. 

Mighty opus, not I&W but Falling! Barstool warrior +S2N :wub::wub::wub:

I'm a huge Dream Theater fan. They were my bridge from metal to prog and I worshipped everything they did for a good long while. I might be in the minority when I consider A Dramatic Turn of Events and their self-titled to be far superior to The Astonishing (it's interesting to see how opinions of that album differ between prog communities and others), so I was pleased to see the song lengths on this one cut back a little.

Still waiting for something from this album to really grab me though. I agree that LaBrie isn't much of a force here (which has nothing to do with his performance, the dude can still sing well). But I have no problem listening to it and giving it time to digest. The Astonishing was just boring as all get out.

Superb album...back to DT writing more accessible material after the last few releases (although I did like those too tbh). Some great tracks on here  'Barstool Warrior',  'Paralyzed'  and 'At Wit's End' being my faves so far. As usual lots to digest after only a couple of listens, but loving it so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I'm not the biggest DT fan, even though I've been following them since the debut. This new album is probably the best sounding album in their catalogue and the music is pretty solid as well. It got me into revisiting the previous Mangini albums in a different light: amazing how the present can affect the past!