Lillian Axe new single

AlphaMale

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Why would anyone release this as the first song from their album unless this is what the whole of the album sounds like?

According to Steve Blaze, this song was intended for the best-of-the-ballads album Lillian Axe was supposed to release called The Forgotten Art of Melancholy.

That album has been scrapped for now. The new album in 2019 will be a regular Lillian Axe release.

20 hours ago, Stefan said:

Truuuu.

'Psychoschizophrenia' was (and still is) great. Ron Taylor was great. Lead singer changed at least twice since 1993.

Yeah, he was excellent and in reality, once he left this should just have been called a Stevie Blaze solo thing, because it's never sounded like Lillian Axe since. As far as I know, Blaze wrote the bulk of their material all along, so I have no illusions that if Taylor was still part of the band that they'd actually still be any good... he was either just smart and knew the right time to leave, or lucky, and got kicked out at just the right time.

Either way, the only good/great/excellent Lillian Axe albums at the end of time will all feature Ron Taylor on vocals. 

10 minutes ago, AlphaMale said:

Agreed!

Yeah, I agree too. The first two are their best, but the next two are excellent too. 

I never really liked anything except for a scattered few tracks by LeFevre. But I totally loved the last disc with Brain Jones singing. Takes a minute to get used to a different sounding singer, but once you do, those songs stick in your brain.

As others have mentioned, I always thought their first four albums were great.  Even Fields of Yesterday, with previously unreleased material, had some good tracks.  This new song is everything I dislike about modern day Lillian Axe, slow, dreary and lacking the great melodies of those early albums.   Waters Rising wasn't too far removed from Psycho, I believe raw demos of those same songs with Taylor on vocals were floating around years ago.  Starting with that album though the songwriting style shifted closer to Blaze's other band, Near Life Experience, and unfortunately I've been unable to get into much of it

10 hours ago, Crazysam said:

As others have mentioned, I always thought their first four albums were great.  Even Fields of Yesterday, with previously unreleased material, had some good tracks.  This new song is everything I dislike about modern day Lillian Axe, slow, dreary and lacking the great melodies of those early albums.   Waters Rising wasn't too far removed from Psycho, I believe raw demos of those same songs with Taylor on vocals were floating around years ago.  Starting with that album though the songwriting style shifted closer to Blaze's other band, Near Life Experience, and unfortunately I've been unable to get into much of it

I agree about a lot of the slow plodding dreary bullshit on all of their later post-Ron releases. It's quite annoying that they've turned their back completely on what made us love them! A true shame. It's always been said that Ron left because he didn't want to tour anymore. But maybe, just maybe, he saw the direction Blaze was going with the music and bailed. But on second thought, Ron's band Lowside released a CD and I thought it was terrible modern drivel. So who knows?!

3 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

I agree about a lot of the slow plodding dreary bullshit on all of their later post-Ron releases. It's quite annoying that they've turned their back completely on what made us love them! A true shame. It's always been said that Ron left because he didn't want to tour anymore. But maybe, just maybe, he saw the direction Blaze was going with the music and bailed. But on second thought, Ron's band Lowside released a CD and I thought it was terrible modern drivel. So who knows?!

Yeah the stuff Ron did after leaving the band was also quite different, so his departure may have truly been a result of not wanting to tour anymore.  Hard to say though what they would sound like had he stayed.

Edited by Crazysam