Cranston - S/T (2016)

mrbandwidth

Some FM hard rock band, for god's sake! (And no, they haven't anything with Breaking Bad actor)

Cranston_Cranston_2016.jpg

TRACKLIST:
01. Long, Long Way To Go
02. You Oughta Know
03. See You On The Other Side
04. Trouble Ahead
05. Fallen
06. Queen Of The Pain
07. Let It Go
08. Sea Of Madness
09. Hangin’ On
10. Unwanted

http://www.dangerdog.com/2016-music-reviews/cranston-2016.php

REVIEW: 4.5/5

If anything vocalist Phil Vincent is both consistent and persistent. In some twenty years the enduring musician has released 34 albums, if I counted correctly, between his solo work and the bands Tragik, Legion, Circular Logik and others. In 2015, he released six albums. Count 'em. Six. Holy crap. Now, after a momentary rest, he brings his new invention, Cranston. Named after his hometown in Rhode Island, it features songs penned with legendary musician and producer Paul Sabu, who plays all instruments, excepting drums, and produced the album.

And the consistency, or inevitability, remains, whether it's Vincent or Sabu. Neither talent ventures from the Eighties. This is basic classic melodic hard rock in an AOR wrapper. Additionally, in this case, the Cranston is sharper, a bit heavier, nearing melodic metal. But the fundamentals remain: big vocals and vocal harmonies, catchy melodies, nice hooks in the arrangements and refrains, plenty of groove and, of course, brisk guitar riffs and slick solos. All this with Vincent at the helm of the Cranston ship. Like I said, it's what Vincent and Sabu do. It's inherent, second nature as it were.

So, generally, the album rocks with a heavier groove. Unwanted, Long Long Way To Go, Fallen, and also Queen Of The Pain, with the persistent cow bell. Yeah, you read right. How Eighties is that? It's also to say there are no ballads here. The closest thing may be Sea of Madness, but it also has a deep bottom end. Actually, there isn't anything inherently tame about any song on this album. Plain and simple Cranston is melodic hard rock. And recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyin6Qhou0c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzh-YExnglA

Not bad.

• 2 months later...

Actually, this is considerably better than I expected.

Okay, you made me listen to the sample above. I have decided to stick with my initial instinct, though. I hated it. :(