Statement from Frontiers regarding album leaks

Glen

One comment below the facebook post in particular resonated with me:

Maybe it's time to rethink release dates, instead of complaining how the decades-old promotional model is broken. I don't understand why advance copies are necessary. If, say, Toto has a new record coming out, don't tell me how great it is but then tell me I can't listen to it for another 2 months. Just go "the new album is done! Here it is." Reviews can still be written after an album is released, unless the only thing that matters is first-week sales, which is an idea that really needs to die. A good album is just as good a month, a year, a decade after it's released as it was on the release date. There's no MTV, or good rock radio anymore, so the idea of serving videos and singles to build up albums seems very out of date and unnecessary. I don't need to know about albums I can't actually go listen to yet.

While not directly aimed at the issue frontiers raised, I've been asking myself the same question like what the fuck!!??!?!?!?!?!? this needs to stop just release the music we love and want to hear don't be teasing us with that type of shit. take the inglorious release for example, people who have been wanting to hear it know about the album coming out since........ at least october. the album's been done since LOOOOOOOOONG before that. when is it coming out though?? fucking end of february i mean come on!!!!!!!!!

This from Paul Logue -

To be able to fulfil the modern needs, the label needs to have all production parts at least 4 months prior the scheduled release date. Vinyl production takes nowadays 8-14 weeks, digital albums should be online in stores 2 months prior the release that direct links can be spread and fans can hit the "buy" button after seeing news online. US releases need 3 months of pre-roll time to add the release to the distributor databases, sub-licensing to Japan and South America needs months of pre-roll time for listening and negotiations. Creative digital promo and marketing campaigns need to be arranged months in advance and last but not least boxsets with manufacturing in China need easily 4 months of production time.

Maybe it's time to rethink release dates, instead of complaining how the decades-old promotional model is broken. I don't understand why advance copies are necessary. If, say, Toto has a new record coming out, don't tell me how great it is but then tell me I can't listen to it for another 2 months. Just go "the new album is done! Here it is." Reviews can still be written after an album is released, unless the only thing that matters is first-week sales, which is an idea that really needs to die. A good album is just as good a month, a year, a decade after it's released as it was on the release date. There's no MTV, or good rock radio anymore, so the idea of serving videos and singles to build up albums seems very out of date and unnecessary. I don't need to know about albums I can't actually go listen to yet.

While not directly aimed at the issue frontiers raised, I've been asking myself the same question like what the fuck!!??!?!?!?!?!? this needs to stop just release the music we love and want to hear don't be teasing us with that type of shit. take the inglorious release for example, people who have been wanting to hear it know about the album coming out since........ at least october. the album's been done since LOOOOOOOOONG before that. when is it coming out though?? fucking end of february i mean come on!!!!!!!!!

This from Paul Logue -

To be able to fulfil the modern needs, the label needs to have all production parts at least 4 months prior the scheduled release date. Vinyl production takes nowadays 8-14 weeks, digital albums should be online in stores 2 months prior the release that direct links can be spread and fans can hit the "buy" button after seeing news online. US releases need 3 months of pre-roll time to add the release to the distributor databases, sub-licensing to Japan and South America needs months of pre-roll time for listening and negotiations. Creative digital promo and marketing campaigns need to be arranged months in advance and last but not least boxsets with manufacturing in China need easily 4 months of production time.

Nice explanation from Paul, but why not do all that behind the scenes, and THEN say new album is coming out in a couple weeks?

• My Little Pony

This from Paul Logue -

Nice explanation from Paul, but why not do all that behind the scenes, and THEN say new album is coming out in a couple weeks?

That would be ideal, but nearly impossible to keep that information from leaking. Every. Single. Time.

This from Paul Logue -

That would be ideal, but nearly impossible to keep that information from leaking. Every. Single. Time.

Yeah, if a label like Frontiers needs 3-4 months for a vinyl release this says a lot 'bout their strategic planning. Perhaps they should have bought the plant in Czech Rep. :whistle: