Rugby World Cup

Gibbo

Yeah, yeah - I KNOW there are very few rugby fans here, but I just had to post something about Japan's stunning victory over South Africa at the weekend ... with the winning try coming in the very last play of the game.

RSA have won the World Cup twice, and were ranked 2nd in the world at the start of the tournament ... Japan have never progressed beyond the Pool stages, and were ranked about 14th in the world ... it was a thing of beauty, seeing the faces of the 'Boks players and supporters as the final whistle went :)

:lol: Yeah, hate the game but I like world cups of stuff. I'm pretty annoyed that there's no real free-to-air coverage here in Australia (aside from a couple of 1:30am and 4:30am matches) and it's all on pay-TV. Very annoying.

But yeah, seemed like a crazy result. Georgia beat Tonga too, hey?

I don't enjoy festivities/spectacles which promote nationalism. ;)

Then you should watch rugby ... I've never seen any trouble at a rugby match - the fans all sit together (and generally drink together afterwards.) During the recent RSA v Namibia game, the 'boks fans were on their feet cheering as Namibia went over for a try (shame it was disallowed) ...

:lol: Yeah, hate the game but I like world cups of stuff. I'm pretty annoyed that there's no real free-to-air coverage here in Australia (aside from a couple of 1:30am and 4:30am matches) and it's all on pay-TV. Very annoying.

But yeah, seemed like a crazy result. Georgia beat Tonga too, hey?

Yup - most of the results have been fairly predictable (with the exception of England v Wales at the weekend), but there have been some fantastic games so far, with the 'smaller' teams showing a lot of skill and determination :)

England threw away the Wales game - gave away too many sloppy penalties (as usual).

Sets up a big game with Australia next Saturday though, although I do not rate our chances. Prob end up about 25-15 to Oz.

I'm in a tipping comp and work (and have fucked it up due to not understanding it completely) and I actually tipped Wales as my upset of that round. Was pretty happy with myself until I looked at the ladder and realised it was like drop in the ocean.

I'm in a tipping comp and work (and have fucked it up due to not understanding it completely) and I actually tipped Wales as my upset of that round. Was pretty happy with myself until I looked at the ladder and realised it was like drop in the ocean.

I tipped Eng vs Aus as the upset ;-)

Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed.

I'm sure it'll happen, but one can only hope not. I would treasure it dearly to see England kicked out of their own World Cup so early. And it'd be even sweeter if it was the Aussies that did it. ;)

Fingers crossed.

I'm sure it'll happen, but one can only hope not. I would treasure it dearly to see England kicked out of their own World Cup so early. And it'd be even sweeter if it was the Aussies that did it. ;)

Yeah but it wouldn't be the Aussies who did it as we were never expected to beat you guys, it would be Wales........in fact it would be outselves lol for being so damned sloppy giving away 7 penalties in one game - you just cannot do that at the top level.

The mad thing is, is that if England do (by some miracle) beat Australia and Australia beat Wales, Aus could go out cos of that bonus point they dropped in the first game.

Weird.

Yeah, I don't know enough about the game, but the impression I got here in Australia was that the Aussies were far from any kind of force in the international game, at the moment. I feel like every time I hear an international result, they are losing comfortably, unless it is against one of the lightweights. I can't remember the Aussies beating New Zealand at any time for about the last 20 years or so.

I'd have thought England and Australia would be a pretty even match up, with the home advantage going to England? But I'm probably out of the loop, I guess.

Yeah, I don't know enough about the game, but the impression I got here in Australia was that the Aussies were far from any kind of force in the international game, at the moment. I feel like every time I hear an international result, they are losing comfortably, unless it is against one of the lightweights. I can't remember the Aussies beating New Zealand at any time for about the last 20 years or so.

I'd have thought England and Australia would be a pretty even match up, with the home advantage going to England? But I'm probably out of the loop, I guess.

My Mum is Welsh, my dad is English, so I've got a foot in both camps ...

I think England will go into the game with a point to prove after the lambasting they've had since the weekend (mind you, if the call to kick to the corner had worked as well as it did for Japan, everyone would be falling over themselves to sing Robshaw and Lancaster's praises!) If England tighten up on the discipline, it could be too close to call.

I don't think Wales can keep going for too much longer with their injury list growing ever longer by the minute. If they lose anyone else to injury on Thursday, their final game against Australia could prove to be academic!