Jez, Stefan and others who like Duran Duran

JLPRocks

What's your take on the new one?? Curious to see what you guys are thinking!

It's a sort of a crossover between 'All You Need Is Now' and 'Red Carpet Massacre'. It has that Electronic/Dance kinda sound on certain tracks which is fine. although I would have liked a bit more of the John Taylor/Roger Taylor rhythm section, rather than the programmed stuff. The songs are definitely still there though and there is a whole host of good stuff to get your teeth into. Generally I really like it and it has grown with each subsequent spin so far and it shows a band still being able to be relevant, even so far into their career.

• My Little Pony

Generally I really like it and it has grown with each subsequent spin so far and it shows a band still being able to be relevant, even so far into their career.

It helps that their style of music is coming back. Just look at a lot of the shit I post in my Summer Music thread. 80s Pop/Rock is coming back in a big way.

I think the new one is a grower. Like Jez mentioned, more bass and drums wouldn't hurt. The first single (Pressure Off) is magnificent, pure Duran Duran. 'What Are The Chances?' also a highlight.

Being a big Duran Duran fan I prefer the 'rockier' stuff but I'm no stranger to electronic/dance stuff either, so I'm pretty happy with it. In fact I just ordered the Target version with 2 exclusive tracks (already have the Deluxe Fan Edition) purely to get those 2.

The occasional fan probably hates the album but if you're open-minded, there's plenty of good stuff on display.

Here's the first single for the occasional fan:

I'm a huge fan....and, I have the same sentiments in that...where the hell is John and Roger Taylor??!! They always did some danceable stuff.....but they still had that throbbing baseline going through it. They don't sound like a band on this one. I'm at a crossroads on this one.

I think there are four or five songs that I genuinely really like....and then some are just too 'modern dance pop' for me. I understand that they made a relevant album in today's musical pop climate....but...to me...today's musical pop climate is so horrible that...well..is that a good thing??!! lol

I commented on one of their threads that if I could, I would raise Colin Thurston from the grave to get them to be more themselves. He brought the best out of them.......there are hardly any, if any songs on this release that are epic sounding...Chauffeur....Seventh Stranger....The Man Who Stole a Leopard.....nothing with a lot of inventiveness to me. The rub for me is that I love this band....and with Red Carpet Disaster they pissed me off......and then came back and made amends by giving us All You Need is Now...which is a great album. Now I'm stuck in the middle on this one.

Maybe it will grow on me a bit more as I continue to listen. It was also really, really odd that they would have Lindsay Lohan participate on this....I mean...who the hell's idea was that??!! They don't NEED that......it's just odd to me.

• 1 year later...