Teetering the line between Funk\Hi-Tech\and Hard Rock

Leykis101

Everybody knows I'm a HUGE!! fan of 70s funk, back when blacks had musical talent, they possessed a skill for playing a special kind of music, all these rappers, and thugs, who steal all this music for their songs, primarily suck and free load off the 70's funk circuit, well I enjoy funk about as much as anything outside of what we do here on HH, there is some true talent in 70s funk rock, right before the blacks put their instruments away, and retired to stealing their forefathers awesome music, there was an extremely short scene of bands, who for the most part, crossed over, they lightened up on the funk elements, and journeyed further into the hard rock tombs, and then into the fringes of Aor, Hi-Tech AOR, and of course Disco, if you poke around, you can land yourself on some of these bands, that if you get it, and dig it, you fucking love it, and I do, there's so much energy in some of these bands, and many went completely unknown, Ready For The World, Chic, Morris Day and The Time, Timex Social Club, fuck even Prince, and before him, his 1st band The Family, my favorite has to be the band Xavion!! I think these guys were the absolute ultimate, and the fact they got cut off after 1 album, like I said, you either enjoy it, or you don't, I have a hard time listening to Electric Boys, and not thinking about the funk scene, this is my fav group, a little funk, a little Hi-Tech, a little Rock, it's Xavion, check them out, what do you think of them???

I personally like it, it's got the right ''vibe''. I was surprised when I found this song from Kool & The Gang a few months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cLJ9wSE0QI&spfreload=10

This one has more dancing in it, but some elements are undeniable like the clean guitar during the verses or the guitar solo, always makes me think of those 80s action / fight movies :D

Fuck bro! Kool & The Gang were dabbling in it before any white band I can think of, they always played their own instruments, a'lot of bands just swapped musicians, because their wasn't a whole lot of black musicians floating around at the time(mid to late 70's) so when a band member left, it was generally in route to the next funk band, Earth Wind & Fire, and Kool & The Gang more or less started the entire venture into Rock\Hi-Tech AOR, along with Brick, Slave, and the Brass Construction, I believe these were the bands that let go of the training wheels, and set off into experimentation.

Everybody knows The Power Station is one of my most admired discs of all time, but Grey, if I may call you Grey, who spearheaded The Power Stations rhythm section??? anybody, anybody?? oh yes! one of my favorite drummers of all time, and 70's funk legend, Tony Thompson(r.i.p.) I have at least a couple threads on HH discussing not only Tony's mind blowing and absolutely one of a kind drumming style, but I even have a thread somewhere on HH discussing the other mind blowing and completely one and only distinction that The Power Station and Tony in particular better yet have, and that's the sound engineering that was used on the drum tracking on The Power Stations self titled debut, if your in tuned or not to that kind of stuff, then you've no doubt noticed picked up on the fact that The Power Stations debut disc, has a very very unique and distinct drum sound on it, that Tony and his engineer fucked with, and perfected over the course of straight 2 months of dicking with it, at 1st thought, one will probably be sold that they used an electronic kit, probably a Simmons kit, but those drums on that disc are 100% acoustic, and the sound was created by Tony and his engineer, using a nauseating number of compressors, and then using unheard of amounts of Gating, to achieve what I believe IMO is one of the coolest sounding drum kits in the history of recording audio, so back to the matter at hand, The Power Station are white, but where did they have to go in order to anchor their sound? aw yes, back to the 70's funk pool, and thank god they did, cause that's one of my fav discs in this genre of all time, and I hate the fact they only gave us 9 songs from that historical time in that genres history, as they were no doubt one of, if not the greatest band of that genre to ever record, and now it's to late to ever get anything new out of them again, it really is depressing,

Everybody knows The Power Station is one of my most admired discs of all time, but Grey, if I may call you Grey, who spearheaded The Power Stations rhythm section??? anybody, anybody?? oh yes! one of my favorite drummers of all time, and 70's funk legend, Tony Thompson(r.i.p.) I have at least a couple threads on HH discussing not only Tony's mind blowing and absolutely one of a kind drumming style, but I even have a thread somewhere on HH discussing the other mind blowing and completely one and only distinction that The Power Station and Tony in particular better yet have, and that's the sound engineering that was used on the drum tracking on The Power Stations self titled debut, if your in tuned or not to that kind of stuff, then you've no doubt noticed picked up on the fact that The Power Stations debut disc, has a very very unique and distinct drum sound on it, that Tony and his engineer fucked with, and perfected over the course of straight 2 months of dicking with it, at 1st thought, one will probably be sold that they used an electronic kit, probably a Simmons kit, but those drums on that disc are 100% acoustic, and the sound was created by Tony and his engineer, using a nauseating number of compressors, and then using unheard of amounts of Gating, to achieve what I believe IMO is one of the coolest sounding drum kits in the history of recording audio, so back to the matter at hand, The Power Station are white, but where did they have to go in order to anchor their sound? aw yes, back to the 70's funk pool, and thank god they did, cause that's one of my fav discs in this genre of all time, and I hate the fact they only gave us 9 songs from that historical time in that genres history, as they were no doubt one of, if not the greatest band of that genre to ever record, and now it's to late to ever get anything new out of them again, it really is depressing,

Yeah, I had a feeling you'd mention Thompson. No argument with anything you're saying regarding the Power Station (that debut CD is one of my all-time favorites). I was just pointing out that Robert Palmer is no stranger to the genre either.

• My Little Pony

I think you all know where Funk and I stand. Actually, we don't stand. We lie with one another. Frequently. I'm always excited to find something new.

Oh yeah Nolan, have you checked out the 70's funk rock shit? or are you only into Funk Metal(a carpet ride if you will)? If your looking for that kind of good shit, I'll assume you've checked out the Power Station disc we are disusing? as it perhaps has some of the coolest sounding drums ever laid down on any album ever, by one of the greatest drummers to ever play that type of drums!! Robert Palmer singing, and the Taylor brothers rounding out the band, pure fucking bliss from start to finish, 1 of a kind, and if Feel The Heat was a top 10 trendy song or got played until it was nauseating or not, it's a fucking amazing song, smoke a big ass bowl, and put your head phones on and check that disc out, that's the only way I can tell you to do it, while it's not pure funk, it's absolutely got funk elements to it, filled in with Hi-Tech AOR\Hard Rock, I can always tell when someones playing on my level by the way they talk about that very disc, Hey Nolan, you ever check out the band Ignorance?? they put out a cd called The Confident Rat in 1990, it's about as funky rock as you can get(literally) if not look into it bud!