Oktoberfest!

JamesEagle

I was planning a weekend in Germany in April or May this year, but due to finances may be forced to put this back a few months.

Which got me thinking … Oktoberfest! What could be better than a great big festival … of beer?!

So, just wondering, has anyone been? Is it as fantastic as it sounds?

And is it celebrated all over Germany, or is it just focussed on Munich?

I know it's a long way off, but I'm keen to start planning now otherwise it won't happen.

:drink:

Can't speak for Germany, but we went to an Oktoberfest in Winnipeg, Canada and between the beers and the bands and the cuban cigars that was easily one of the funnest, best, absolute drunkest times I've ever had.

I've been to Germany in August and I still managed to find several "beer fests" throughout my trip. Maybe they weren't quite on the large scale of Oktoberfest, but they were still good, loud, drunken times (hiccup).

The original Oktoberfest only takes place in Munich. This year it starts on Sept 21 and ends on Oct 06. It's a huge beer festival with millions of guests each year, so it's a good idea to start planning for it now. Prices for hotels, etc. are pretty steep during Oktoberfest. :(

The original Oktoberfest only takes place in Munich. This year it starts on Sept 21 and ends on Oct 06. It's a huge beer festival with millions of guests each year, so it's a good idea to start planning for it now. Prices for hotels, etc. are pretty steep during Oktoberfest. :(

That might rule us out then. Scheiße!

Any suggestions for cheaper accommodation? Somewhere not too far away with a good, quick rail service to Munich?

I think I read about a beer festival in Hamburg as well ... do you know anything about that (or other good beer festivals)? (I'm still keen to go to Bamberg, but I think my mates would rather do Oktoberfest.)

My niece went to Oktoberfest in Germany Munich five years ago and said she had a piss up on a epic scale and anyone who loves beer has got to attend.

I went to 3 Oktoberfest's held here at the Melbourne Showgrounds and had a bloody good drunken boozefest and all the different schnaps we destroyed ourselves on,that shit is lethal but so beautiful.

how drunk do you think they were when they were buying david hasselhoff cds 25 years ago?

that there was enough to make me drop my german class in high school

:lol:

As much as I like the idea of massive tents full of beer, celebrations and nice German girls who have had far too much to drink, the cost might put a stop to this.

Bernd, do you know of any other German beer festivals that are worth a visit? Or could we stay in Bamberg and 'commute' for one day at Oktoberfest?

My niece went to Oktoberfest in Germany Munich five years ago and said she had a piss up on a epic scale and anyone who loves beer has got to attend.

I went to 3 Oktoberfest's held here at the Melbourne Showgrounds and had a bloody good drunken boozefest and all the different schnaps we destroyed ourselves on,that shit is lethal but so beautiful.

:P Yeah, that sounds familiar !! LOL !!

As much as I like the idea of massive tents full of beer, celebrations and nice German girls who have had far too much to drink, the cost might put a stop to this.

Bernd, do you know of any other German beer festivals that are worth a visit? Or could we stay in Bamberg and 'commute' for one day at Oktoberfest?

Yes, there are cheaper accomodations available. You just need to plan early, which you are already doing. It obviously depends on what you are prepared to spend. We have a camping place here as well.

No, Bamberg is 3-4 hours away, so that is no option. Let me know, if I can be of any help.

Yes, there are cheaper accomodations available. You just need to plan early, which you are already doing. It obviously depends on what you are prepared to spend. We have a camping place here as well.

No, Bamberg is 3-4 hours away, so that is no option. Let me know, if I can be of any help.

I may send you a long PM. (Sorry.)

Feel free to ignore it. I'll probably go away eventually...

:drink2: