R.I.P. Michael Grant of ONWARD & CRESCENT SHIELD

Fat Freddy

This is bummer news. I really liked the two CDs this guy did with Onward in the early 00s. Never heard much Crescent Shield though. R.I.P.

(Source: Blabbermouth) ONWARD/CRESCENT Singer MICHAEL GRANT Dies At 39 - May 31, 2012

Michael Grant, singer of CRESCENT SHIELD, ONWARD, CYPHER SEER and LEGEND MAKER, died earlier today (Thursday, May 31) at Glendale Memorial Hospital in Glendale, California after a relatively brief but serious illness. He was 39 years old. He was peaceful and surrounded by family at the time of his passing.

Michael recorded and toured with several bands throughout his career, most notably ONWARD on Century Media Records and more recently CRESCENT SHIELD on Cruz del Sur Music.

Commented CRESCENT SHIELD/ex-DESTINY'S END guitarist Dan DeLucie: "Michael's rich and powerful baritone and clean melodic vocal style made him a distinct voice in heavy metal. He was known for crafting memorable vocal hooks and layered harmonies. He often weaved multiple vocal phrases together creating a complex and striking tapestry of vocal melodies. Perhaps most notable however was the passion Mike sang with. He could evoke the strength and grandiloquence of the mightiest metal warrior or the mournful atmosphere of a passing life.

"Mike was more than just a singer, though. He was a greatly talented songwriter and lyricist. Although he didn't play an instrument, he would often write complete songs by humming guitar lines and vocalizing drum beats. His lyrics were profound, evocative and often personal. He was a true lover of heavy metal and would sing its praises with a sense of poetry and grandeur. No matter the topic: journeys into the unknown, the choices we make in life, religious dogma, or a crimson moonrise, Mike always delivered a moving message with unique elegance.

"Writing, recording, and performing music with Mike in CRESCENT SHIELD was a joy. We were in synch creatively and complemented each other's abilities very well. We produced music for the love of it. We performed for the love of it. CRESCENT SHIELD's pinnacle performance at Keep It True 2008 in Germany was a dream come true for both of us.

"Working with Mike was the most creatively rewarding experience of my life. Although the band has been on hiatus for a while, Mike and I still were writing new material and his voice and creative energies were still in top form. Losing him at such a young age is both shocking and tragic. I will miss my musical companion, my metal brother, and my friend."

onwardsingerrip.jpg

I saw ONWARD with Michael Grant singing.. I remember being total impressed with his vocals. He had such a powerful yet clear voice. Onward was a really great band live...

R.I.P.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...