Sunstorm: "Emotional Fire" review

metalmaniac777

I know it's being discussed on another thread, but my review of the new Sunstorm album, "Emotional Fire," is now available over at Hardrock Haven. Click the link below to check it out:

Sunstorm review

In a nutshell, despite a drop off in quality during the second half, this is still a pretty solid piece of AOR/melodic rock.

I loved the debut but never got around to buying the follow up. I'll read the review and see if Mark can convince me to buy this one.

I don't actually state this in my review, but for what it's worth, I do think this is the best of the 3 Sunstorm albums.

I loved the debut but never got around to buying the follow up. I'll read the review and see if Mark can convince me to buy this one.

I don't actually state this in my review, but for what it's worth, I do think this is the best of the 3 Sunstorm albums.

Really? Now that makes me wonder if I should buy it but honestly I probably won't. As I said I loved the debut at the time it came out but I don't think I've spun it for at least two years. I do love JLT's voice though. The project he did Glen Hughes(HTP) was great and of course the Malmsteen, Purple and Rainbow are all classics.

Granted Ive only listened to a few of these tracks once & on you tube, but 'The Higher You Rise' and 'Follow Your Heart' sounded nothing like fillers to me?

& the Bolton re-makes are not as good or as powerful as the originals....imo.

Based upon soundbytes only, I agree with the review. Though I'd probably rate it higher than that as I absolutely loved the last disc (while most others didn't) and still play it tons. There's a pretty obvious drop off in quality in the latter half, as per the last album, but those opening songs sound killer and his voice is still amazing...

Granted I've only listened to a few of these tracks once & on Youtube but 'The Higher You Rise' and 'Follow Your Heart' sounded nothing like fillers to me?

& the Bolton re-makes are not as good or as powerful as the originals...imo.

Well, to me, a filler is a song that isn't a dud by any means, but is nothing special either, and that's what those songs sound like to me. They just seem to pale in comparison to the excellency of the first half of the album.

By the way, saying a song by Michael Bolton is better than the same song by Joe Lynn Turner is borderline blasphemy. :blink:

I agree with the review.

Tim, Tim, Tim...you gotta warn me when you're gonna post something like that. I damn near had a heart attack when I read those words!! :shocked:

Good review Mark, although I disagree with the fillers mentioned since those two are the killers IMO on the second half.

I usually gave 10%-15% higher for AOR/MHR than you but I know you're not an AOR guy so that 7.5 rating is also reasonable I guess based on your taste :)

I agree with the review.

Tim, Tim, Tim...you gotta warn me when you're gonna post something like that. I damn near had a heart attack when I read those words!! :shocked:

Don't worry mate, am sure there'll be a new Destrophy album (or some other such garbage) that we'll disagree on pretty soon... :)

Good review Mark, although I disagree with the fillers mentioned since those two are the killers IMO on the second half.

I usually gave 10%-15% higher for AOR/MHR than you but I know you're not an AOR guy so that 7.5 rating is also reasonable I guess based on your taste. :)

Yeah, whether or not you rate the back half as fillers is all going to depend on what your ears like. This sort of AOR/melodic rock is not my forte--I prefer my music with a harder edge--but for the genre, this is very good stuff. I stand by my rating, but I completely understand why others will rate it higher.

I agree with the review.

Don't worry mate, am sure there'll be a new Destrophy album (or some other such garbage) that we'll disagree on pretty soon... :)

God, I hope so...things just don't seem right with the world when you agree with my reviews. ;)