Evergrey - Glorious Collision

heaven&hell

I had never given these guys the time of day before I bought this one earlier this year and after one listen I wasn't to sure but over the last 6 months it has me blown away. The lyrics, vocals and melodies just keep me coming back for more. Favs are "Fit the Mold", "Frozen", "Wrong", "You", "Free","The Phantom Letters", "The Disease...." and "....and the Distance".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQcJuzMwGc0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwAe0kxWt4U&feature=related

My fav song from the new album. "We're accidents forced to Happen....."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SQrqjiqgeI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF0I_ugFObo&feature=related

"Free are those that walk away from setting suns....."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKc0Fgw_wNU&feature=related

Great album! Totally love these guys! But in my humble opinion, this is no where near their best work. I'd highly recommend checking out In Search of Truth, Recreation Day, The Inner Circle, and Torn. Those are my favorite Evergrey albums, with In Search of Truth topping the list.

Great album! Totally love these guys! But in my humble opinion, this is no where near their best work. I'd highly recommend checking out In Search of Truth, Recreation Day, The Inner Circle, and Torn. Those are my favorite Evergrey albums, with In Search of Truth topping the list.

Totally agreed, right on the money here... especially the order of best to worst. Their first two are also worth checking out and truth be told they haven't released a bad album but the earlier stuff has aged a little.

Totally agreed, right on the money here... especially the order of best to worst. Their first two are also worth checking out and truth be told they haven't released a bad album but the earlier stuff has aged a little.

For me nothing even touches 'Monday Morning Apocalypse'...that is the band firing on all cylinders IMO. Impeccable album and in my top 5 for its year of release.

Cheers

I've read those most fans think that In Search For Truth is the best disc and have seen many name Torn as well as a fav. I picked up The Inner Circle and it didn't grab me the same way that the new one did. I think they just put out a best of disc earlier this year and that might be a place to start for me for the older stuff.

Blimey, this song rocks! Great tune! :headbanger:

I've read those most fans think that In Search For Truth is the best disc and have seen many name Torn as well as a fav. I picked up The Inner Circle and it didn't grab me the same way that the new one did. I think they just put out a best of disc earlier this year and that might be a place to start for me for the older stuff.

Neither of those are as good as MMA - in fact Torn completely rips it off by re-hashing the same riffs etc. Trust me :-))

Neither of those are as good as MMA - in fact Torn completely rips it off by re-hashing the same riffs etc. Trust me :-))

You will very likely find more reviews bashing Evergrey's - MMA over any other album. Don't get me wrong though, I love MMA, but this would not be my first choice for a gateway album into Evergrey's music.

I have and dig their RECREATION DAY album but I've never gotten round to investigating them further.

here is 'unspeakable' from MMA, but truth be told, they are ALL great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGLCgCfqRYk

I probably prefer 'To Fit The Mold', both are really good songs though. Not sure how this band has stayed off my radar.

You will very likely find more reviews bashing Evergrey's - MMA over any other album. Don't get me wrong though, I love MMA, but this would not be my first choice for a gateway album into Evergrey's music.

Yeah probably because it's their most melodic and commercially accessible - which is of course what appeals to me

Yeah probably because it's their most melodic and commercially accessible - which is of course what appeals to me

Very good point. And even though MMA is not my favorite Evergrey album, I do appreciate it's qualities.

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey, this song rocks! Great tune! :headbanger:

Yes it does. It just blew me away on first listen and wow the lyrics are excellent. :beerbang:

• 2 weeks later...

Been listening to some of the songs on this one and it's really growing on me. Sounds like one of the best albums of the year with 3 absolute belters, i.e. 'To Fit The Mold', 'Frozen' and Leave it Behind Us'. 'I'm Drowning Alone' is pretty good too. If I start liking the other tracks as well, this will be on my top 3 or 4 for the year and surely 2011's most underrated album.

Been listening to some of the songs on this one and it's really growing on me. Sounds like one of the best albums of the year with 3 absolute belters, i.e. 'To Fit The Mold', 'Frozen' and Leave it Behind Us'. 'I'm Drowning Alone' is pretty good too. If I start liking the other tracks as well, this will be on my top 3 or 4 for the year and surely 2011's most underrated album.

I love Evergrey but have not heard this yet. Hopefully it should be on Spotify so will try to have a listen over the weekend.

Been listening to this on Spotify and yes it is good, but blow me if they arent just hashing up the same classic riffs and melodies again from the MMA album.

I dont think they will ever top that album now.

Classics such as 'In Remembrance', 'The Dark I Walk Through' and 'I Should' they keep on trying to better, but just end copying. Or trying to in any case, cos those songs will always be better for me.

& that's not even mentioning the first 6 tracks which will all kick your arse.

Wes, get MMA prompto - you will love it.

I think you should also look back on the earlier albums - I am surprised you didnt like 'The Inner Circle' cos that is much better than the new album. Basically I think MMA took all the good ideas from that album and perfected them.

Those earlier albums still contain their best songs tho in 'A Touch Of Blessing' and of course the AWESOME 'As I Lay Bleeding' from recreation day which is their fav of mine :-))

• 1 month later...

Had a few listens to this now and it is a very good album. It is too long imo, 13 tracks is too many and there are some fillers. However, there are 6 or 7 very good songs on here and I would give special mention to:

Leave It Behind Us - great opener, really nice up tempo song with a catchy chorus.

To Fit The Mold - second best song on the album for me, another catchy one with a fantastic chorus.

The Phantom Letters - my favourite track, great song with some excellent guitar.

One of the better albums from last year, would have been even better if they'd kept it to about 10 tracks.

I used to ignore all prog bands but then I heard Threshold-Dead Reckoning and was blown away. So now I'm a "little" more open to prog metal bands. I like what I hear so I'll have to track this one down...

Any one else into Threshold...are their other releases like Dead Reckoning?

Had a few listens to this now and it is a very good album. It is too long imo, 13 tracks is too many and there are some fillers. However, there are 6 or 7 very good songs on here and I would give special mention to:

Leave It Behind Us - great opener, really nice up tempo song with a catchy chorus.

To Fit The Mold - second best song on the album for me, another catchy one with a fantastic chorus.

The Phantom Letters - my favourite track, great song with some excellent guitar.

One of the better albums from last year, would have been even better if they'd kept it to about 10 tracks.

All three are great but also love "Wrong" "Frozen" "Out of Reach" but "Fit the Mold" and "Phantom Letters" are the cream of the crop.