Jamison / Kimball

Glen

Wow, that sounds excellent too.

It has to be said, though... Jeez we listen to some old, old... old dudes who look as un-metal as humanly possible. :(

• 3 months later...

Well, there doesn't seem to be as much chat about this one as other like-minded releases, but I spun it today and I like it. Much ballsier than you'd expect from this pairing, and some really great songs... not written by either of them. :lol:

Love the first 3 songs and even Peterik's offering is pretty good. The highlight of the disc for me probably comes from Martensson's pen, with the excellent 'I did everything wrong.' The other 2 songs penned by him are both good too. And even though the 3 songs aren't quite as good as the stuff on the Hitchcock release (well, maybe 'I did everything wrong' is), you are given a glimpse of how awesome his songs could sound with an outside, experienced producer at the helm. And I must give Mat Sinner credit here, because the new Sinner album doesn't sound this good, production-wise. He's done well here.

Overall, it's another very good CD and like so many similar releases, there isn't really a poor song on here. I guess the closing ballad would be the weakest song, but it's still okay. In the battle of the vocalists, Jamison smokes Father Time, who's voice I did not initially like... but he ends up kind of growing on me. But Jamison - who I don't care much about either way - does sound really good here. Great voice.

Still havent heard this in full yet....a few full songs and samples - just too many releases this year. What I can say is that Kimball's vocals did nothing for me - would this have been better with just JJ singing - I think so.

Still havent heard this in full yet....a few full songs and samples - just too many releases this year. What I can say is that Kimball's vocals did nothing for me - would this have been better with just JJ singing - I think so.

Bobby Kimball`s vocals are a little off putting (IMO) on this album, I`m a fan but not on this performance, he is struggling where Jamison is pretty smooth as always.

Bobby Kimball is one of my fave vocalists of all time, his stuff with Toto was incredible in spots, but he has been struggling for a while with his voice. He is still a good singer when he sticks to the lower/mid range, but he sure isn't the vocalist he used to be. Understandable to a certain extent being 60+, as apart from a handful of singers I could mention who still have it, everyones vocal range drops markedly with age and time.

Understandable to a certain extent being 60+, as apart from a handful of bass players I could mention who still have it, everyones playing drops markedly with age and time.

:rofl2:

Understandable to a certain extent being 60+, as apart from a handful of bass players I could mention who still have it, everyones playing drops markedly with age and time.

:rofl2:

Yep, still have the mojo mate ;)

Bobby Kimball`s vocals are a little off putting (IMO) on this album, I`m a fan but not on this performance, he is struggling where Jamison is pretty smooth as always.

I agree that this would have been a better CD with just Jamison on vocals alone, but I don't think Kimball's voice "ruins" the CD as such. To be blunt, though, there is no point in him being on the CD. :)

Fergie was better, I agree, but a thin victory for him.

This one is pretty great album. There are at least 4 weaker tracks, 7/10 kind of thing, but the rest are pretty solid with 'Worth Fighting For' and 'I Did Everything Wrong' being the best for me.

80% and a great buy if the price is $10 at max.

lol, that's harsh. I, for one, paid just under $12 and am happy with that cost. ;)

Looking forward to the Fergie disc as everyone seems to agree it's a bit better than this. Hard to go wrong with these projects, though, no matter who they throw on vocals.

lol, that's harsh. I, for one, paid just under $12 and am happy with that cost. ;)

Looking forward to the Fergie disc as everyone seems to agree it's a bit better than this. Hard to go wrong with these projects, though, no matter who they throw on vocals.

oh i think that extra $2 for the bonus you paid to see 2 great lookin' grandfathers you been adoring on DVD friend? :rofl2:

but seriously, are you sure it's 8.99 GBP because i'm pretty sure it's fluctuating around 12-15 GBP on Amazon until today (14.97), and that's the reason i won't bother to put it in the cart :doh:

oh i think that extra $2 for the bonus you paid to see 2 great lookin' grandfathers you been adoring on DVD friend? :rofl2:

but seriously, are you sure it's 8.99 GBP because i'm pretty sure it's fluctuating around 12-15 GBP on Amazon until today (14.97), and that's the reason i won't bother to put it in the cart :doh:

Whoops. I was meant to check that, wasn't I? Will try to check it tonight, but I'd be surprised with myself if I paid more than that for this... but who knows, maybe I honestly did? :lol:

Yeah the Fergie disc is better - bit of a lull in the middle though - a hammock of sorts.

Yeah the Fergie disc is better - bit of a lull in the middle though - a hammock of sorts.

I assume neither of them come close to the Toby Hitchcock? From the soundbytes they don't. Normally I'd probably pick these up, but with Mecca/Shy/The Magnificent/Chris Ousey etc etc all coming out at the same time I can't get them all...

Well, I must say... I spun the Fergie one this afternoon and based purely on first impressions, I think I'm going to prefer the Kimball/Jamison one. The initial reasons? I prefer the production on the K/J one quite a bit - much ballsier. On any other day I'd take Ward over Sinner, but it sounds like Ward was aware that he was dealing with an 80-90 year old dude and maybe produced it that way... a little more on the lighter side. I like that the J/k one has a bit of balls.

Song-wise, I agree about the lull and I'm not sure the CD recovers as well as a similar slight lull in the J/K one too, about the same time. Both are very good discs and it'll be close, but initially, I do prefer the J/K one. :)

I assume neither of them come close to the Toby Hitchcock? From the soundbytes they don't. Normally I'd probably pick these up, but with Mecca/Shy/The Magnificent/Chris Ousey etc etc all coming out at the same time I can't get them all...

And no - both very good CDs, but not even really close to the Hitchcock disc.

I'll say drop Mecca and Ousey first and get K/J and Fergie for now.

I think Mecca is a typical disc that not all people will enjoy, so you might end up buying a mint condition on eBay for a far cheaper price, and Ousey is simply not better than K/J or Fergie, but try samples first.

I think Mecca is a typical disc that not all people will enjoy, so you might end up buying a mint condition on eBay for a far cheaper price, and Ousey is simply not better than K/J or Fergie, but try samples first.

Me knowing your tastes and exacting standards would say just buy The Magnificent.

Its the only one which comes close to WoA or TH.....and by that I mean damned close :-)

Trust me.........

Me knowing your tastes and exacting standards would say just buy The Magnificent.

Its the only one which comes close to WoA or TH.....and by that I mean damned close :-)

Trust me.........

Thanks guys, have order The Magnificent and will probably get the Fergie disc as it's a reasonable price.