Destrophy: "Cry Havoc" review

My review of Destrophy: "Cry Havoc" is now available over at Hardrock Haven. Click the link below to check it out:

Destrophy review

A serious contender for album of the year. As Geoff would say, it blew my balls off!

Mark, another cool review there. You seem to have a natural talent for writing them. Sounds like a great album anyway. I've only heard a few tracks so far but I'm very impressed. As you say - a good mix of "heaviness and melody". Looking forward to finally having the disc.

Yep, great disc. It blew my balls off!

Whoops, sorry, I'm repeating myself. :(

Seriously, though, hard to find a fault with this one.

Mark, another cool review there. You seem to have a natural talent for writing them. Sounds like a great album anyway. I've only heard a few tracks so far but I'm very impressed. As you say - a good mix of "heaviness and melody."

Glad you're enjoying the reading, my friend. I try not to write stale reviews and do my best to make them entertaining to read. I really enjoy it when I get assigned an album like Destrophy that just knocks me silly with glee and I get to rant & rave about it in the review. Haven't crossed paths with too many people who weren't quite impressed with this CD (well, except my brother, who thought it was "just OK," but what's he know, he's a wanker :P ).

I know it's rare for me to be the odd-one-out ( :) ) but I'm a bit disappointed with this one. I got it on Friday and played it a couple of times over the w/end and after all the praise (above) I expected it to blow me away, and it didn't. In fact, most of what I liked about the first disc was how they managed to sound as aggressive as Slipknot but at the same time as melodic as SOTY. Now they just sound like any other modern rock band - and frankly I'm a bit bored of this style now. Hardly any of it stuck, in fact I played the new Hinder disc (which is actually not that bad) twice over the weekend and preferred it to Destrophy, telling you all you need to know about this disc! Oh, and the ballads ("Still Bleeding" & "Hello") are absolutely bloody awful!

Sorry Mark but I found a review that I agree with a little more...

http://thenewreview.net/reviews/destrophy-cry-havoc

I know it's rare for me to be the odd-one-out ( :) ) but I'm a bit disappointed with this one. I got it on Friday and played it a couple of times over the w/end and after all the praise (above) I expected it to blow me away, and it didn't. In fact, most of what I liked about the first disc was how they managed to sound as aggressive as Slipknot but at the same time as melodic as SOTY. Now they just sound like any other modern rock band - and frankly I'm a bit bored of this style now. Hardly any of it stuck, in fact I played the new Hinder disc (which is actually not that bad) twice over the weekend and preferred it to Destrophy, telling you all you need to know about this disc! Oh, and the ballads ("Still Bleeding" & "Hello") are absolutely bloody awful!

Sorry Mark but I found a review that I agree with a little more...

http://thenewreview.net/reviews/destrophy-cry-havoc

lol, yeah great review - I particularly agreed with his opening paragraph! NOT!!!!!

There is no denying that bands change their style and sound all the time. Some do it because it’s just the natural progression of a true artist. Some do it to keep up with the changing times and some do it due to label pressure or sadly their own monetary gains. Personally, I don’t care what you do as long as you perform at a high level and still write quality songs that people are able to enjoy (i.e. Metallica, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots and Incubus to name only a very select few).

Never has a statement been further from the truth IMHO. But hey ho.

BUT I do absolutely agree with these sentences, which should have most readers of this site salivating.........

Cry Havoc isn’t a metal album…at all. It’s a straight forward, no-nonsense and no frills arena rock record

Instead they’ve been replaced with boat loads of late 80′s inspired guitar work, airy keys and enough super sweet melodies

Nice.........and spot on.

Cheers

BUT I do absolutely agree with these sentences, which should have most readers of this site salivating.........

Cry Havoc isnt a metal album…at all. Its a straight forward, no-nonsense and no frills arena rock record

Instead theyve been replaced with boat loads of late 80′s inspired guitar work, airy keys and enough super sweet melodies

Nice.........and spot on.

Cheers

Agree, most on this site would like this more anything else this band have done. For me though, it all sounds very very dated and predictable and - after their debut - it's not the sound I expected at all when I bought this disc. Is a very strange progression of sound to go from a modern crossover metal band to a retro-80's hard rock band...

P.s. having said all that, I like it a lot better than the guy in this review does.

in fact I played the new Hinder disc (which is actually not that bad) twice over the weekend and preferred it to Destrophy, telling you all you need to know about this disc!

Considering 'All American Nifghtmare' was my favourite modern rock disc of 2010, and imo one of the most under-rated discs of said year, it does tell me all I need to know. ;) It tells me that while it may not be quite as good, the new Destrophy CD has it's sights set on a strong finish in my favourite discs of 2011. :)