The Maine

Geoff

Anyone else here dig these guys at all?

I'd kind of avoided them in the past thinking they were a bit tame/soft for my tastes but after seeing they were touring with Soundwave next year I decided to pick up their albums for a few dollars each on the interweb. The debut EP 'The way we talk' is harmless but pretty average pop rock. I'm only halfway through their debut full-length disc, 'Can't Stop, Won't Stop' but I must say I'm very impressed. Some very nice tunes like 'Girls Do What They Want' and 'I must be dreaming' so far.

They are definitely on the lighter side of modern / pop rock, but if you like these types of bands I recommend them. Just listening to the new album, 'Black & White' as I type. Sounds like more of what was on the previous disc. Nice stuff.

http://www.myspace.com/themaine

• 5 months later...

Yeah, I've got to agree with your comments above Geoff, I just picked up all three discs. The EP doesn't do much for me but the two albums are pretty damn good, especially 'Black & White'. There's nothing heavy about them, just good catchy modern pop rock tunes. Good stuff.

Yeah mate, two good albums and after seeing them at Soundwave earlier this year, I gotta say they're a damn likeable band live too. :)

• 3 years later...

Haha, I was going to bump the thread and basically say: 'You heard this one, Justin?'

But yeah, given it one quick spin so far and all sounds good to me. Immaculate production; really crisp sound. Good lyrics and good hooks. Just good, solid and catchy stuff. It certainly won't win any new fans, but if you're a standing fan of the band it'll hit the spot just right. I wasn't frothing to hear it, but once it was in my ears I was all like, "Yep, I like these dudes." They know their craft well.

Cool, glad to hear that. I keep going back to their first 2 albums especially 'Can't Stop...' from 2008 I think, must have played that album over 100 times since it was released. I didn't get into their last disc a lot but hoping to enjoy this one after reading your comment. These guys know how to write a catchy song that's for sure.

• 2 years later...

They have returned with another new album this year... consistent as hell, as always - very nice stuff;

1. don’t come down
2. bad behavior
3. lovely
4. black butterflies and déjà vu
5. taxi
6. do you remember? (the other half of 23)
7. little
8. the sound of reverie
9. lost in nostalgia
10. i only wanna talk to you
11. lonely
12. how do you feel?
themaine_newalbum17.jpg
If you've ever heard them before you know exactly what they sound like and they stay true to their sound. If not, here's my favourite song off another very consistent album;
And there's really cool stuff like this too;

They have returned with another new album this year... consistent as hell, as always - very nice stuff;

1. dont come down

2. bad behavior

3. lovely

4. black butterflies and déjà vu

5. taxi

6. do you remember? (the other half of 23)

7. little

8. the sound of reverie

9. lost in nostalgia

10. i only wanna talk to you

11. lonely

12. how do you feel?

themaine_newalbum17.jpg

If you've ever heard them before you know exactly what they sound like and they stay true to their sound. If not, here's my favourite song off another very consistent album;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHm2bQRJIaw

And there's really cool stuff like this too;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0FNqHKUrPw

Awesome! Will check this out right now.

• 4 years later...

Love them, too. The genre is usually  not my cup of tea - too modern, too radio-like. But they can deliver so many emotions and always have great melodies. The Maine is probably one of my top10, if not top 5 bands. The thing is that when the time passes after they released an album I kinda forget their strength. I just remember "last album was good" and then there's a new album and I wonder "has the last album been as good as the new one?" and then I get back to their older albums and find out that they are all great. 

I ordered the new album but delivery to Germany seems difficult... or the german release date has changed...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J.S.M said:

Love them, too. The genre is usually  not my cup of tea - too modern, too radio-like. But they can deliver so many emotions and always have great melodies. The Maine is probably one of my top10, if not top 5 bands. The thing is that when the time passes after they released an album I kinda forget their strength. I just remember "last album was good" and then there's a new album and I wonder "has the last album been as good as the new one?" and then I get back to their older albums and find out that they are all great. 

I ordered the new album but delivery to Germany seems difficult... or the german release date has changed...

So true. 

• 5 weeks later...

Love this new album... some really cool stuff on it. They always deliver and are a constant joy to my ears. 

Just checking if you guys know Grayscale? They have a new album called 'Umbra' and I'm just jamming to it now and it's giving me pretty solid The Maine vibes. Kind of like The Maine and The Summer Set style. Sounding like a really, really cool album. Check it out-

Grayscale - Umbra

I've been a fan of them for a while but this new stuff sounds possibly their best yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2021 at 3:52 AM, Geoff said:

Love this new album... some really cool stuff on it. They always deliver and are a constant joy to my ears. 

Just checking if you guys know Grayscale? They have a new album called 'Umbra' and I'm just jamming to it now and it's giving me pretty solid The Maine vibes. Kind of like The Maine and The Summer Set style. Sounding like a really, really cool album. Check it out-

Grayscale - Umbra

I've been a fan of them for a while but this new stuff sounds possibly their best yet. 

Listening to it now. The Maine comparison is spot on. Loving it. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...