The "other" NIRVANA

Yeah, I know, starting a Nirvana related thread around here is tantamount to saying "Yer mother wears Army boots" but I thought this was interesting. Besides, we already have a thread called "The other SKID ROW" so I figure there's precedent for this sort of thing:

Did any of you know that "Nirvana" was also the name of a British psychedelic band from the late '60s? I didn't either, till I ran across an entry about them in a book I'm currently reading about collectible rock & roll records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_(UK_band)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhcFereURCQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z14bxIJuGIc

200px-SimonSimopath.jpg

Faaaaaar....ouuuuuuut, maaaaaan. This "Nirvana" released six albums between 1967 and 1974, then reunited in 1985. They've released a couple of albums (mostly compilations) since then.

Supposedly these guys sued the "other" Nirvana in 1992 over the rights to the band name and they were eventually paid beaucoup bucks by Geffen Records to go away. However, they continue to perform occasionally under the "Nirvana" name to this day.

Wiki sez this band recorded a version of Cobain's "Lithium" in the early 90s for a planned album of covers called "Nirvana Sings Nirvana" but the project was abandoned after Kurt's suicide, feeling that such a release would be in poor taste.

Interesting. I didn't know that either. I wonder if this Nirvana actually had any good songs cus Cobains Nirvana sure didn't. Harsh I know but I seriously think they were over rated.

I wonder if this Nirvana actually had any good songs

Check the YouTubes shown above. Not exactly my "thang" but I could see how fans of the Doors, early Pink Floyd, etc. woulda grooved on that stuff.

I wonder if this Nirvana actually had any good songs

Check the YouTubes shown above. Not exactly my "thang" but I could see how fans of the Doors, early Pink Floyd, etc. woulda grooved on that stuff.

Yeah definitely agree, some people would love this stuff. Not for me though.

Obviously being in any band called 'Nirvana' equates to being totally shit then! ;)

Heh heh, I like BOTH Nirvana's xD

But i dont see The Doors comparison, this sounds more like a watered down, Sgt Peppers era Beatles to me (in other words, another british 60s copycat band)

but its not bad, i like it :tumbsup:

Obviously being in any band called 'Nirvana' equates to being totally shit then! ;)

Agreed. What a crazy situation. It actually appears that somehow, this older version is actually *cringe* worse, than the later version of the same band name. Who'd have ever thunk it possible? I'd still rather eat my own vomit than listen to either, but if forced to pick one I'd take the 90's version. :(