Mutiny Within

Glen

I was checking out the 'Gods Of War' mini-album and really liked the song by Mutiny Within so decided to check out their album which was released a couple of weeks back and mighty fine it is too!

Comes across like a cross of SOTY and Sonic Syndicate....most songs have clean vocals, and there are some killer solos to boot.

Enough melody to keep me interested.

This is a seriously good album. Killer in parts.

You can listen to snippets of all songs on Amazon -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mutiny-Within/dp/B00380K69Y/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk_alt

[Tim - I reckon you would love these guys!]

Holy shit there at least 4 or 5 killer songs on this thing, including 'Suffocate' which pretty much laid waste to my arse.........f wicked.

Wow!!! Sounds freakin amazing. Now I'm sure Tim will like this one. The intensity is very SOTY and guitar work and keys sound so crisp. Something tell me from the last second of every track that theiris alot of harsh vocals, yet the choruses are melodic bliss, sorta like Trivium does on many tracks. I'll be looking this one up. Are they American or from the UK?

Wow!!! Sounds freakin amazing. Now I'm sure Tim will like this one. The intensity is very SOTY and guitar work and keys sound so crisp. Something tell me from the last second of every track that theiris alot of harsh vocals, yet the choruses are melodic bliss, sorta like Trivium does on many tracks. I'll be looking this one up. Are they American or from the UK?

US I believe.

Most of the songs have clean vocals throughout......only about 2 or 3 have screams...but these are understandable like SOTY rather than growling like some demented wild beast. Certainly nothing like Trivium.

This has kicked my arse sideways.....didnt think I was going to hear a disc that would push SOTY so soon in the year. Or at all to be honest.

Cheers

Sorry to "chuck a Tim" (HAHA, just kidding - love ya, mate!) but I'm not too sold on this one. I'm going to put it out there that these guys are not even in a snippet of a similar league to SOTY. SOTY are so much above this type of music it both thrills and and delights me.

I'd drop these guys right into a mixture of Bullet For My Valentine and Killswitch Engage minus, of course, the screams. Musically it's another one of those bands that set out on a double kick adventure, which actually still annoys this shit out of me, even if I've come around a lot since the early days. Just seems like lazy, "look how heavy we are" drumming plan rather than taking time to build a good song... and that's why Story of the Year are so far above a band like this.

I will say there were some nice enough chorus melodies, some huge solos, but only a couple of songs that were really nice initially (I think 'Images' and 'Undone' were my early faves). But still plenty of time to grow.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, it's a good enough CD. But I'll put this out there without hesitation. The new Bullet For My Valentine CD will destroy this, as the two singles already, 'Begging for mercy' and 'Your betrayal' are both freakin' fantastic and crucify anything on this disc.

Check them out:

Your Betrayal:

Begging for mercy:

I think this will be their best album yet, and a sure contender for modern rock disc of the year... fingers crossed after last time's disappointment. :)

Yeah, sounds pretty cool for Bullet, but its still Bullet. Begging For Mercy is nice, but the other song is pretty weak IMO.

How you can say you actually prefer that to the awesome 'Suffocate', or 'Falling Forever' or the really Dream Theater like 'Forsaken' is beyond me. Those songs are just awesome IMO. Brilliant harmonies and kick arse solos.

To each their own.

Yeah, sounds pretty cool for Bullet, but its still Bullet. Begging For Mercy is nice, but the other song is pretty weak IMO.

How you can say you actually prefer that to the awesome 'Suffocate', or 'Falling Forever' or the really Dream Theater like 'Forsaken' is beyond me. Those songs are just awesome IMO. Brilliant harmonies and kick arse solos.

To each their own.

Yeah, I think I actually prefer 'Your betrayal'... either way, love both. Not a BFMV fan then, I assume? :lol:

I'll give both these albums plenty of time in my player (when BFMV is released) and be sure to update my thoughts. As I said above, I don't mind this album at all but it's also not got much going that makes me wild with joy.

To each their own.

Yeah, I think I actually prefer 'Your betrayal'... either way, love both. Not a BFMV fan then, I assume? :lol:

I'll give both these albums plenty of time in my player (when BFMV is released) and be sure to update my thoughts. As I said above, I don't mind this album at all but it's also not got much going that makes me wild with joy.

Im surprised (having been reading your garbage...err I mean posts ;) for years) that you actually like a song which takes about 2 minutes to get going with just a riff (admittedly pretty cool) banging on.......

I just got bored.

MW has some double kick, but I dont really think its done in spite of the actual song.....just adds to the song IMO and makes it super agressive.

I do agree tho that SOTY is still way better.....but then they do sit at the top of the modern tree...for me anyway.

Cheers

To each their own.

Im surprised (having been reading your garbage...err I mean posts ;) for years) that you actually like a song which takes about 2 minutes to get going with just a riff (admittedly pretty cool) banging on.......

I just got bored.

1 minute and 20 seconds of metal is not ever the kind of intro I have ever had a problem with. Ever. It's not even something I've really commented much on that I can recall anyway, but I hate seperate intro tracks at the start of CDs (which I skip) and long songs with pointless intros. This intro is not at all similar to anything I've ever disliked.

Just listened to both tracks again and I'm not sure... maybe I do like 'Begging for mercy' better. Either way, love 'em both. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I just got this one from Koogles and I must say it is freakin' great. Within 24hrs I've received Crazy Lixx, Treat and now Mutiny Within....am having a good week.

I'm surprised Tim hasn't found this topic. I'm sure he'd like it. Some harsh vocals, but the melodic/clean vocals reign through the choruses. The musicians are a few notchs above the average band. Picture a mix of Trivium/Dream Theater with melodic modern sense and sound.

I just got this one from Koogles and I must say it is freakin' great. Within 24hrs I've received Crazy Lixx, Treat and now Mutiny Within....am having a good week.

I'm surprised Tim hasn't found this topic. I'm sure he'd like it. Some harsh vocals, but the melodic/clean vocals reign through the choruses. The musicians are a few notchs above the average band. Picture a mix of Trivium/Dream Theater with melodic modern sense and sound.

backed, where are you Tim, I thought you would be all over this one??

Sounds interesting, will check this out over the weekend....

So this is a great find. Seriously big hooks all over this one, although it's definitely easier on the ears than I expected - it's even more melodic than someone like Sonic Syndicate, definitely nothing like the mighty/untouchable TRIVIUM. Not sure why they should be compared to BFMV as they lay that mediocre band to waste. Though Geoff does unusually make one decent point, which is that this really is way too overly-percussive. Presumably when a Modern drummer struggles to keep-time or play imaginative fills he just stomps his double-bass as fast as he can? Drums ought to drive the music and keep things tight, not swamp it in off-kilter beats and pumelling double-bass. Otherwise this sounds killer, a definite pick-up for me. Nice find chaps...

• 3 weeks later...

So I've had this for a week or so now and it's absolutely KILLER stuff. Production is a little thin, and the percussion definitely tries to kill the melody on this, but the sheer quality of tunes is amazing for a debut album. Truly one of the best debut albums I've heard in years. Love how they mix up the heavy/growling with the soaring choruses. They'll do well to better the new SONIC SYNDICATE material (have heard 3 tracks and they are unbelievable) but this is the type of music I love: Modern, heavy, melodic, catchy.

So I've had this for a week or so now and it's absolutely KILLER stuff. Production is a little thin, and the percussion definitely tries to kill the melody on this, but the sheer quality of tunes is amazing for a debut album. Truly one of the best debut albums I've heard in years. Love how they mix up the heavy/growling with the soaring choruses. They'll do well to better the new SONIC SYNDICATE material (have heard 3 tracks and they are unbelievable) but this is the type of music I love: Modern, heavy, melodic, catchy.

thank christ for that....i thought i was the only one who liked this.

still preferring this to BFMV which was lacking quite a bit of melody actually. Transpired that the 3 tracks we'd already heard were the best on the album (yeah, including the ballad, which was good but not spectacular IMO) along with 'Pleasure & Pain'.

I deleted this off my Ipod almost instantly as I knew I'd pick it up from Secondspin sooner or later for a bargain price. So I haven't heard it since whenever my last post here was, but I did finally get it in the last big sale at SS so it should be here in a couple of weeks when I can give it a proper spin. I doubt I'll be as thrilled as you doods, but I hope it grows on me a bit.

thank christ for that....i thought i was the only one who liked this.

still preferring this to BFMV which was lacking quite a bit of melody actually. Transpired that the 3 tracks we'd already heard were the best on the album (yeah, including the ballad, which was good but not spectacular IMO) along with 'Pleasure & Pain'.

Oh yeah, they kill BFMV. What with this and H.E.A.T and the fact I'm still playing TREAT, stuff like PRETTY MAIDS and CRASHDIET (which are good discs) are barely getting a look in...

• 4 weeks later...

Okay guys, you've officially stumped me with this one. As I said elsewhere, I bought it a while back and it finally arrived late last week so I spun it with full undivided attention as I drove up the coast on Friday and yep... still absolutely nothing. Great musicianship, a few nice chorus melodies... but just nothing even remotely memorable. Boring, boring verses everywhere. I think I said above that they remind me most of Killswitch Engage by comparison, and even though I don't love those guys either, I will say they write much stronger and more memorable choruses.

As I say, there's nothing really wrong with the band, or even the CD, but there just aren't any killer songs for me and nothing to lift this out of the pack of a million other bands that sound like this. :(

Sorry guys. I agreed with you that the new BMV disc could be stronger, but I am loving that and continually spinning it, and it's growing on me each time, with a nice small handful of gems (and the rest I still like anyway)... but I leave a listening session with this CD empty handed I must admit.

As I say, there's nothing really wrong with the band, or even the CD, but there just aren't any killer songs for me and nothing to lift this out of the pack of a million other bands that sound like this. :(

my exact thoughts on BFMV.

• 3 years later...

Remember these guys they released an online only release called Synchronicity earlier this year. They still sound great, I wish they had a physical copy to buy somewhere. Here are some samples from Youtube, all the tracks are up there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhxbQERKdLI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDod7leKnXo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBrpoIITxCc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaIiA33V73c

Hmm... sounds pretty good. Where the hell was I when you guys were talking about this?

Busy petting your Little Pony.

The first one is easily available on Ebay for pretty cheap. It's worth getting. They remind me of Trivium, but more melodic.

This isn't so bad but like Geoff said nothing memorable. Sounds nice but way too much double kick. I think if it was a bit more melodic it would have been so much better,