Soundwave 2010 (Modern rock festival in the land of Oz)

Geoff

While all you foreign asswipes get to enjoy festivals chock full of melodic rock bliss, Soundwave is about the best us Aussies will ever get with regard to a rock/metal festival. And whilst it may not be 1/100th of what a melodic rock / AOR / glam festival would be, it's still a great day out and here's a few thoughts:

Firstly, if there is a country in the world with sexier young ladiez than Australia, I dare it to face me. Basically, it was 34'C out there yesterday - and it was f*cking boiling hot! The only good thing, bras became the standard top for most the girls on the day. :lol: It was awesome. So many amazing young phillies out there... norks.png

Anyway, to the music:

Heroes for Hire - After last year's entry fiasco I was delighted to literally walk up to the gates and get right in, thus leaving me standing in the venue about 20mins before the first band even started. They were not too bad. Never heard of them before and I guess they were okay-ish for a band I didn't expect to see. Pretty standard pop-punk, though.

It Dies Today - Okay set, I guess, but where are the songs? Good, heavy bunch of music coming at you, but just no decipherable songs.

Baroness - Haha! These guys were awful. What were they described as? Sludge metal? Terrible. Had to leave asap.

Gallows - Annoying hardcore band fronted by some weasly little British redhead. Kind of amusing, but also a bit of a prick too, spitting into the You Me At Six crowd on the stage to their left. Awful music.

You Me At Six - worked through a pretty tinny sound at the start of the set, but it came good. I didn't know these guys had other releases, but I didn't even recognise half the songs. They were okay, but I just didn't really get into the set too much because I didn't know half the songs and they didn't sound that good anyway. Clear highlight was the awesome 'Trophy Eyes'.

Motion City Soundtrack - surprisingly good. Not too familiar with this band at all. But they had a great sound and played a really good, tight set. I'm going to have to check out these guys' other albums for sure. The songs I didn't know sounded even better than the ones I do know.

Alexisonfire - these guys were kind of playing in the background as I desperately seeked water to not die. Boring songs, but okay in the background I guess. The stage was running way overtime and they were just dragging out these tired, slow and boring songs which was really annoying.

Paramore - they sounded awesome and it was a good show, but man, what a shithouse setlist. She's no looker, but a really cool girl and the band was tight... but aside from a handful of songs I just couldn't get into the tunes. I'm not an expert on the band, but I thought I knew their albums well enough. Apparently not, though, as half of it was foreign to me. :lol:

Placebo - if I could have been bothered I probably would have vomitted on these guys. Absolutely dreadful. It's odd too because although I don't know any of their songs or CDs I've heard a few tunes via my brother and they're always okay. They were not today. Soooo boring.

Anthrax - haha, it was pretty cool to see these guys in action. I was on my way up to Shinedown and didn't even realise they were playing. Hung around for a few tunes which were pretty crap to be honest, but cool to see an old-school metal act out there.

Shinedown - lead singer talked way too much and although he seemed like a nice guy, he rambled on a bit and was quite cheesy/corny. The crowd was so tiny too, compared to all the other bands I'd seen on the day, but it was a good set. They played songs mostly from 'Sound of madness' which suited me fine. I heard only one song off their 2nd album. It's funny, it was so f*cking hot and all the guys were just wearing pants and no top and the lead singer was draped in this all black heavy looking hard rock outfit. Crazy bastard. But seriously, they were good. Much better than I expected. Good setlist.

All Time Low - one of my favourite's of the day. Loved these guys. They played such a killer setlist and I was into every song. Plus they were really funny between tunes too. The sound on this stage (3) was so killer for every band throughout the day too.

Janes Addiction - got stuck watching these guys purely due to the schedule f*ck up. It was painful and the only good things about it were the guy's creepy words between songs. Seriously, I'd rather have just heard this dude talk for the full set. HAHA! What a freak. I really found him funny. But as for the music, absolutely dreadful. This stage was sooo far behind schedule and they were just playing this drawn out, slow, pointless garbage. The guitarist could obviously play, but the songs were crap. The worst thing was Trivium were playing 3 stages (but about 20mins at least due to crowds) away but I didn't want to leave because I didn't know JEW were going to start playing, and because they were already behind I was going to have to miss half their set anyway.

Jimmy Eat World - Only got to see half of this set but it was good. Possibly not as good as I'd hoped and to be honest I wasn't too amazingly cut about leaving early for ETF. Sure, I'd have preferred to see the whole set. They were definitely solid and the sound was excellent.

Escape The Fate - A few strange song choices like 'You're so beautiful' which was pretty ugly (one of the fillers off the latest disc), but aside from that this was one of my fave bands of the day. Such awesome sound on stage 3! And most the songs they played were excellent. The older stuff was killer and I loved a new song they played (to be featured on a re-release of 'This war is ours' with 2 bonus tracks) and 'This war is ours' was absolutely brilliant. Gave me chills. These guys definitely had the best guitarists of the day - KILLER rhythm work, and the solos on 'This was is ours' were just ferocious. Plus, the drummer looks straight out of the LA hair metal scene. Looks for these guys to release a very "hair metal" sounding CD soon, I reckon. They have the look, the sound, the guitarists, the drummer and the songs are getting there.

A Day To Remember - Another great set, but the sound seemed to me a bit "muffled" a bit further back in the crowd. I got myself a pretty decent distance in, but I didn't think the sound was either loud or clear enough... but that aside, another excellent set. Really enjoyed these guys. Every song was excellent, even if they missed two of my faves ('NJ Legion Ice Tea' and 'Homesick').

HIM - wasn't planning on seeing these guys at all - so bland and the guy's voice is terrible - but they actually kept me interested enough to stick around for the end of the set. I was on the way out, but they had some beautiful sounding mid-tempo verses and some decent choruses... plus it was on stage 3 which had that amazing sound. I really hate the guy's voice and he was a rude prick too. Their set was finished and he was being told by a few people it was done and he says to the drum tech, "Sam, go stand behind the drums, you're just a drum tech." And he was constantly motioning to the guy in charge of the sound for his mic. And I was like, dude, face it. Your voice if fucking terrible and there's no fixing it. Yeah, I don't know if it was just that he was from Denmark and way out of his comfort zone (what the hell was a goth band doing there anyway? :lol:) but he just came off as unlikeable. F*ck I hate goths. :lol:

Overall, good day out. Amazingly hot and despite the sunscreen and hat I still got burnt... almost died from thirst a few times, but it was good. :lol: I just want to know what the f*ck possesses people to wear long pants ( a) anytime, anywhere you don't need to in summer and ( b ) to an outdoor festival where you know it's going to be 34'C (and I reckon a lot, lot hotter than that in the full sun).

Did I mention how stunning the females were, everywhere I looked? happy.png That's probably the only benefit of a festival like this compared to a hard rock / AOR / glam festival - the quality of the eye candy. :)

so in short... shit bands, good eye candy?

i'll be heading along to soundwave here on saturday. Escape the Faste is the only band on my must see list, but plenty of others i'll check out on the day depending on what's on at the time.

Oh wow, awesome. Please be sure to post a quick review, if only for my sake. Nice mate, hope you enjoy it. To he honest, not sure many of these bands will float your boat but it should be a good day out anyway. To be honest, Escape The Fate were my favourite - they delivered hard.

Hope you get a cooler day and more water than we did, mate.

And no, there were plenty of shit bands (I even saw plenty early on) but there were plenty of great bands too, especially later in the day. Granted, last year's line-up was much better, but there were good ones in there. Seriously mate, if you're single at the moment DO NOT... I repeat DO NOT bring pants. Just go there and make children.

forecast here is for 37'C at this stage!!!!

Yeah, I reckon it was at least that out there on the day. I saw 34'C forecast beforehand, but I'm sure it was hotter. Positive. Make sure you bring sunscreen and a hat AND SUNNIES! So many people forgot sun glasses. And for the love of christ wear a white shirt and a pair of shorts. I wore thongs too and people said this was foolish because I'd get trampled. I was fine, but being the party animal you are you'd probably lose your thongs... so wear light shoes. But seriously, I hope they have more free water available in Adelaide.

Don't keep me waiting, Lindsay, how was it?! Anything you enjoyed about the day? :lol:

not a bad day. as expected there were not heaps of bands that were my thing, so i just enjoyed checking out anything and everything. the only band i got in the pit for was Escape The Fate, and that was a pretty rough ride.

Anvil were really good - they were just having a ball on stage. As were Anthrax. I always thought Anthrax were a bit more heavier that what they were. their vocalist had a much more melodic voice that i could have guessed.

Saw part of CLutch, but they were too southern for me.

ALso saw:

part of Faith No More - ok, but too many mellow songs for my liking

part of HIM - boring! thought they would put on a bit of a dark goth sorta show, but the singer got up there in plain clothes and a beanie.

part of AFI - quite good live, although i always thought they were a bit more punky - or maybe that was just their older stuff.

half of Paramore - I had to leave Anvil towards the end cos my g.f collapsed in the pit at Paramore and had to be pulled out by sercuity. Ended up standing towards the back to watch the last half of them.

half of Anti-FLag - some punk pop stuff. Pretty good show

Saw a lot of lesser known bands too.

took a couple of vids on my camera for the gf....

AFI -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PXy6hMV37Q

PARAMORE -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk5PAdHw-rQ

Haha. Nice. Ah, it's finally explained. I was wondering why you were going... your girlfriend's into that type of stuff, hey? Nice. I'd love to be able to bring my wife along to Soundwave. I think she'd probably come around to enjoy the music enough to have fun, but dragging her around from stage to stage all day would probably piss her off to no end. :lol:

Yeah, those pits are insane. I stay miles away from them. Brave man getting in there! :lol: Did you like Escape The Fate?

How was the weather for you guys? You have enough water and all that? I heard it was really well organised in Adelaide and Melbourne.

I was annoyed that I missed out on Anvil, ESPECIALLY because stage 1 (where Paramore were meant to be playing at the same time) was running 50mins behind so I could have actually seen most of Anvil.

I never found Anthrax to be heavy... more on the funk side of metal almost. Haha. I also caught a few of their songs and didn't mind them.

Was your girl alright? Not a good place to collapse in one of those pits. Was it mostly due to the heat?

Haha. Nice. Ah, it's finally explained. I was wondering why you were going... your girlfriend's into that type of stuff, hey? Nice. I'd love to be able to bring my wife along to Soundwave. I think she'd probably come around to enjoy the music enough to have fun, but dragging her around from stage to stage all day would probably piss her off to no end. :lol:

Yeah, those pits are insane. I stay miles away from them. Brave man getting in there! :lol: Did you like Escape The Fate?

How was the weather for you guys? You have enough water and all that? I heard it was really well organised in Adelaide and Melbourne.

I was annoyed that I missed out on Anvil, ESPECIALLY because stage 1 (where Paramore were meant to be playing at the same time) was running 50mins behind so I could have actually seen most of Anvil.

I never found Anthrax to be heavy... more on the funk side of metal almost. Haha. I also caught a few of their songs and didn't mind them.

Was your girl alright? Not a good place to collapse in one of those pits. Was it mostly due to the heat?

Mate - have you heard ESCAPE THE FATE's new tune? Has the guy from Buckcherry on it, and is very similar to the ATREYU song "Blow" - big 80's-type stuff....

Mate - have you heard ESCAPE THE FATE's new tune? Has the guy from Buckcherry on it, and is very similar to the ATREYU song "Blow" - big 80's-type stuff....

Possibly. What's it called? They played a new song live and it was excellent. I'll check the net today to see if it's the same one. They said they had 2 new songs for the re-release of 'This War Is Ours' so I assume it's one of those. I'll have to seek them out. As I said above, I can see future albums from these guys being very enjoyable, leaning more towards the 80's style of hard rock.

Possibly. What's it called? They played a new song live and it was excellent. I'll check the net today to see if it's the same one. They said they had 2 new songs for the re-release of 'This War Is Ours' so I assume it's one of those. I'll have to seek them out. As I said above, I can see future albums from these guys being very enjoyable, leaning more towards the 80's style of hard rock.

It's called "10 Miles Wide" - I saw the video on Scuzz. They did play a new song at Soundwave (called "Bad Blood") but their new stuff is supposed to be a bit heavier so not sure you'll like it. Check out "10 Miles Wide" though - is just pure 80's Hard Rock...

It's called "10 Miles Wide" - I saw the video on Scuzz. They did play a new song at Soundwave (called "Bad Blood") but their new stuff is supposed to be a bit heavier so not sure you'll like it. Check out "10 Miles Wide" though - is just pure 80's Hard Rock...

Oh yeah, I know that song from the 'This War Is Ours' album. Not one of my faves off it, but a cool song anyway. Even better filmclip:

Could those sluts possibly be any sexier? So not even. Holy shit. And that drummer is the most 80's hair metal drummer I've seen since Roxx Gang hit the scene.

Yeah, new song was heavy as hell, but awesome as hell too.

• 6 months later...

Well my fellow Australians, just a heads up to get in early and book a Soundwave ticket if you're keen. I notice the Melbourne show is apparently already sold out. I already bought my ticket on the strength of a few of the bands (hopefully) turning up in 2011:

Taking Dawn

Slash

30 Seconds to Mars

Anberlin

Mayday Parade

The Blackout

There for Tomorrow

Every Avenue

And although not my thing a few bands that may interest others:

Iron Maiden

Slayer

Avenged Sevenfold

Stone Sour

Sevendust

Nonpoint

All That Remains

Promises to be another killer year. I just hope schedules don't clash as I would dearly love to see all the bands in my first list. Particularly excitd about Taking Dawn and Mayday Parade, though.

Buyy tickets here:

http://www.soundwavefestival.com/

Well my fellow Australians, just a heads up to get in early and book a Soundwave ticket if you're keen. I notice the Melbourne show is apparently already sold out. I already bought my ticket on the strength of a few of the bands (hopefully) turning up in 2011:

Taking Dawn

Slash

30 Seconds to Mars

Anberlin

Mayday Parade

The Blackout

There for Tomorrow

Every Avenue

Iron Maiden

Slayer

Avenged Sevenfold

Stone Sour

Sevendust

Nonpoint

All That Remains

Promises to be another killer year. I just hope schedules don't clash as I would dearly love to see all the bands in my first list. Particularly excitd about Taking Dawn and Mayday Parade, though.

Buyy tickets here:

Got my ticket already aswell.

Pretty sure Social Distortion are gonna be there too.

Another announcement of more bands due soon as well i believe.

Nice one mate.

I should mention to others... the shows aren't until February 2011 so it may sound silly to get in now to order a ticket, but as I said, Melbourne is already sold out as far as I know. For $165 to see the amount of bands Soundwave offers, the tickets do go quick. I personally don't want to miss out. :)

More bands to be announced?! Wowser! I didn't know that. Nice.

more bands added including MURDERDOLLS!!!!, Saxon, Bullet For My Valentine, Dimmu Borgir, Milenincon,... and a few others i've never heard of.

F*ck me! Included in the new announcement is:

Bullet for my Valentine, Silverstein, We The Kings, the Rocket Summer, Coheed and Cambria and (WTF???) SAXON! At the end of the new statement it says "and you have an announcement worthy of being its own festival!" F*cking oath you do. I'm now genuinely worried I'm going to miss out on some excellent bands because there will be too many double-ups and I'll miss some. Will definitely have to keep an eye on the Sidewaves shows to make sure I see every band I want to see. SO stoked about BFMV as their recent Sydney show sold out and I therefore missed out. Dying to see them. Silverstein are always awesome (my most-seen band now) and We The Kings will be splendid!

Funny thing is, I think the odds of me seeing Saxon are close to 0 but I'd seriously have liked to see them too. Who knows, maybe the schedule permits it...

Taking Dawn

Slash

30 Seconds to Mars

Anberlin

Mayday Parade

The Blackout

There for Tomorrow

Every Avenue

Iron Maiden

Slayer

Avenged Sevenfold

Stone Sour

Sevendust

Nonpoint

All That Remains

Buyy tickets here:

You guys can never complain again that you don't get decent bands coming there. Some utterly killer live bands in that list (30STM, Stone Sour, Avenged Sevenfold, Sevendust, All That Remains, BFMV, Murderdolls) - most of these I saw at Download in July and they were amazing. Anyone who goes to watch Saxon instead of any of this lot has lost their mind.

SAXON ROCK!! :headbanger:

I was honestly a little surprised to see they were still alive. Good on 'em. :)

Certainly still alive and releasing records/ live gigs that are way ahead of some of the young upstarts that wish they could be them. ;)

Certainly still alive and releasing records/ live gigs that are way ahead of some of the young upstarts that wish they could be them. ;)

Saw SAXON for the first time about a year ago (Rocklahoma 2009). I'd love to see them again. They don't get to the States much. I would make sure I caught the SAXON set.

:lol: Backed. As I said, I'd be interested to see them for the sake of a laugh, but honestly, what are the odds of them playing anything from 'Innocence,', 'Destiny' or 'Solid Balls of rock'? Serious question. Do they play anything from those discs?