MEGA PIRANHA!

Fat Freddy

Bad movie lovers...our ship has come in (again)!!

MegaPiranha-213x300.jpg

For those of us who were masochistic enough to actually enjoy the Asylum's cheez-tastic, craptacular epic "Mega Shark Vs. Giant Octopus" (i.e., me... and possibly Dark Star), check out their latest forthcoming epic, MEGA-PIRANHA, set for DVD release in April of 2010...

For those unfamiliar with The Asylum, they're a B-Movie studio best known for their so-called "Mockbusters," i.e. low budget sci-fi/horror flicks that get released straight to DVD just as more popular studio fare hits theaters, usually with similar titles and cover artwork, in order to ride on the coattails of the bigger movie. (ex: "Transformers" became "Transmorphers," "Alien Vs. Predator" became "Alien Vs. Hunter," "Terminator: Salvation" was followed by "The Terminators," etc...it's really quite amazing that they haven't been sued out of existence yet, if you think about it...) Obviously MEGA PIRANHA is intended to bite (pun not intended) off of the upcoming, big budget "Piranha 3-D" remake that's also due later this year.

Continuing with the Asylum's tradition of putting has-been '80s teen-pop queens in their movies ("Mega Shark" featured a fine acting turn by Debbie/Deborah Gibson), "Mega Piranha" stars Deb's old rival Tiffany (!) alongside Barry "Greg Brady" Williams. How can you lose with a powerhouse acting combo like THAT? I am SO renting this when it comes out!! :lol:

Betcha this is only the lead in to an eventual crossover "Mega Piranha Vs. Giant Octopus vs. Mega Shark" movie...

Or perhaps... "Mega Lobster?" "Mega Crab?" "Mega-Clam Vs. Giant Oyster?" The possibilities are endless!!!

Some pix from what will surely be this year's biggest blockbuster:

MegaPiranha4.jpg

If this is the actual size of the fish in the movie, then those giant piranhas chomping down battleships on the DVD cover are totally false advertising. I haven't even seen the movie yet and I already want my money back.

MegaPiranha1.jpg

Muscle Bound Hero Type dude toting what appears to be a Nerf Blaster? (Well hell, this IS low budget filmmaking we're talking about here)

MegaPiranha3.jpg

Greg Brady is pensive (and crater faced).

No luck finding a trailer for this masterpiece yet (and if you saw the trailer for MEGA SHARK VS. GIANT OCTOPUS, you know that the Asylum's trailers are always better than the actual movie) but whenever one surfaces I shall post it!!

Though I've had no luck finding a trailer for "Mega Piranha," I did come across one for the movie they're ripping off, the upcoming "Piranha 3D," directed by Alexandre Aja (of "Haute Tension/High Tension" and "The Hills Have Eyes" remake) -- looks like good, dumb, gory fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJM00iWVn1w

2010 is the year of Piranha-Mania!

Oh GOD that looks TERRIBLE!! I HAVE to see it!!!!! :rofl2:

Those pirannha look kinda cool actually....... :tumbsup:

Dude, did you ever see MEGA SHARK VS. GIANT OCTOPUS, this studio's previous masterwork? Watch for it next time it airs on SyFy channel. You'll laugh till you pee. :rofl:

Here's the trailer just to get you started:

"IT RISES!" :lol:

Seriously, how could anyone NOT want to see this movie after seeing that clip of the shark jumping out of the ocean to attack an airliner?? :rofl2:

The piranha do look cool and i love this sort of cheese plus 3D is a added bonus.

"Piranha 3D" does look like it's gonna be pretty bitchin'. I think I see Christopher Lloyd (Doc Brown!) in the trailer for that one. He's at least a bigger talent than Greg Brady. :lol:

That's a remake of the 1978 classic "Piranha" from Roger Corman Studios, directed by Joe Dante. It was one of the great killer creature B-movies of the 70s. Legend has it that Steven Spielberg hired Joe Dante to direct "Gremlins" on the strength of that movie, cuz he thought "Piranha" was the best Jaws ripoff he'd ever seen. :lol:

"Piranha 3D" was supposed to come out this April but now I hear it's being pushed back to August. That's usually not a good sign. By August all of the big summer movies have pretty much blown their wads and started to fade, therefore it is traditionally the month when studios dump whatever movies they've got laying around that they really don't care about.

Oh GOD that looks TERRIBLE!! I HAVE to see it!!!!! :rofl2:

Those pirannha look kinda cool actually....... :tumbsup:

Dude, did you ever see MEGA SHARK VS. GIANT OCTOPUS, this studio's previous masterwork? Watch for it next time it airs on SyFy channel. You'll laugh till you pee. :rofl:

Here's the trailer just to get you started:

"IT RISES!" :lol:

Seriously, how could anyone NOT want to see this movie after seeing that clip of the shark jumping out of the ocean to attack an airliner?? :rofl2:

Oh I HAVE to see that!!!!!! Isn't that the Lieutenant from Aliens saying "It rises!"????? And Deobrah Gibson too.. Man it just doesn't get much better in the cheeze factor, does it???? :rofl2:

Oh I HAVE to see that!!!!!! Isn't that the Lieutenant from Aliens saying "It rises!"????? And Deobrah Gibson too.. Man it just doesn't get much better in the cheeze factor, does it???? :rofl2:

I'm somewhat surprised that you have never seen "MS vs. GO" already, DS... trust me, it's right up yer alley... make sure to watch it with a few cold beers close by... and believe me, your wife will f*ckin hate it. I don't think my wife has forgiven me yet for making her sit thru it. :lol:

By the way, I don't think that's Michael Biehn (the "Aliens" guy) saying "It rises"... an actor of his pedigree would probably be a bit too expensive for a production of this caliber. :lol: It does star perennial Direct-To-Video mainstay Lorenzo Lamas (of "Renegade" fame) alongside Debbie Gibson tho.

The piranha do look cool and i love this sort of cheese plus 3D is a added bonus.

"Piranha 3D" does look like it's gonna be pretty bitchin'. I think I see Christopher Lloyd (Doc Brown!) in the trailer for that one. He's at least a bigger talent than Greg Brady. :lol:

That's a remake of the 1978 classic "Piranha" from Roger Corman Studios, directed by Joe Dante. It was one of the great killer creature B-movies of the 70s. Legend has it that Steven Spielberg hired Joe Dante to direct "Gremlins" on the strength of that movie, cuz he thought "Piranha" was the best Jaws ripoff he'd ever seen. :lol:

"Piranha 3D" was supposed to come out this April but now I hear it's being pushed back to August. That's usually not a good sign. By August all of the big summer movies have pretty much blown their wads and started to fade, therefore it is traditionally the month when studios dump whatever movies they've got laying around that they really don't care about.

I'm really showing my age now but back in the 70's when i was a young teen,i went and saw this with a mate of mine who loved horrors as well.Watched this on dvd not long ago,great memories from viewing this,awwww the 70's.

• 1 month later...

DVR/VCR alert! "MEGA PIRANHA" will premiere on the SyFy Channel in the U.S. this coming Saturday ... before the DVD comes out end of the month...

Woohoo, trailer!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKdP9X7LlUE

DVR/VCR alert! "MEGA PIRANHA" will premiere on the SyFy Channel in the U.S. this coming Saturday ... before the DVD comes out end of the month...

Woohoo, trailer!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKdP9X7LlUE

Damn! You lucky chumps, guess those of us across the pond will have to wait.

BTW, what is it with these cheesy movies having awesome artwork? Looks like all the budget went into making the DVD covers.

Edit: Stupid double post, gah!

BTW, what is it with these cheesy movies having awesome artwork? Looks like all the budget went into making the DVD covers.

:rofl: It's way cheaper to hire a comic book/graphic artist to come up with a kick-ass DVD cover that suckers you in, than it costs to produce a quality movie. :lol:

:rofl: It's way cheaper to hire a comic book/graphic artist to come up with a kick-ass DVD cover that suckers you in, than it costs to produce a quality movie. :lol:

:D Totally! It's been working so far...

Oh and has anyone else noticed that the lighting in these films makes every submarine, army base, observatory, science lab, etc. look like a strip club? Gotta love these films...

Oh and has anyone else noticed that the lighting in these films makes every submarine, army base, observatory, science lab, etc. look like a strip club? Gotta love these films...

It's obvious in "Mega Shark Vs. Giant Octopus" that the scenes shot in what are supposed to be two different submarines (American and Japanese) were both filmed on the exact same set, just with different colored lighting. :lol:

It's obvious in "Mega Shark Vs. Giant Octopus" that the scenes shot in what are supposed to be two different submarines (American and Japanese) were both filmed on the exact same set, just with different colored lighting. :lol:

:rofl2: Haha! Yup definitely.

Oh Speaking of Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus?? It IS on Netflix so I can and WILL Watch it for FREE on My computer!!! Actually started it already and so far I LOVE it!!!!! :tumbsup:

It's a classic no doubt about it! Gotta love the chemicals they're mixing - looks like toxic Kool-Aid

Still cannot believe as a bunch of men loving giant fish killing folks, that we have not got down to business and started the Debbie Gibson drool fest...

Only in my dreams...

DebbieGibson6.jpg

Y'know, Terry, I always preferred Tiffany over Debbie (I got a thing for redheads)... But I must admit, the above photo has me reconsidering that position.... :wub:

Sadly, Debbie didn't look anywhere NEAR this hot in "Mega Shark Vs. Giant Octopus".... :lol:

Saw this on Yahoo and had to share.. Trailer and clips for Mega Pirhanna!!!!

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/mega-piranha-this-one-has-teeth--1121

Enjoy! :tumbsup:

:rofl: That's awesome. Love this bit....

Every so often a film comes out that raises the bar and becomes the yardstick against which all future movies are measured. For a long time that movie was "Citizen Kane." What followed was a long, dark midnight of banality. Then, this past winter, "Avatar" took its place atop that lofty celluloid throne. Well, "Avatar," your short reign has ended, as Syfy's "Mega Piranha" has thrown down the gauntlet to usurp you — and this movie's got teeth.

:rofl2:

Still cannot believe as a bunch of men loving giant fish killing folks, that we have not got down to business and started the Debbie Gibson drool fest...

Only in my dreams...

DebbieGibson6.jpg

Y'know, Terry, I always preferred Tiffany over Debbie (I got a thing for redheads)... But I must admit, the above photo has me reconsidering that position.... :wub:

Sadly, Debbie didn't look anywhere NEAR this hot in "Mega Shark Vs. Giant Octopus".... :lol:

I here my brother, redheads all the way, but that Deb shot is sweet...

Tiffany-07.jpg

I here my brother, redheads all the way, but that Deb shot is sweet...

Tiffany-07.jpg

Sadly, judging from the clips of "Mega Piranha" that I've seen thus far, time has not been very kind to poor Tiff.... :yikes:

Anyway, my DVD recorder is already programmed to catch this flick tonight... SyFy is showing an "all day marathon of water creature movies" leading up to "Mega Piranha," including such epics as "DinoShark," "Sea Snakes" (starring Luke Perry!) and "Spring Break Shark Attack" --- awesome!!!!