Happy Australia Day!

zacharyamelie

I doubt many other Canadians know about this, but my 7 year old son, who is obssessed with sharks, oceans, world populations, countries mortality rates and for some reason Australia let the family in on a little fact. He has a book full of geographical info and in it, it's written that January 26th is Australia Day. He got pretty excited and has been talking about it for a week now. Although we live thousands of miles away and our national day is July 1st, he still wanted to celebrate it.

I tried convincing him that Australia is an island full of criminals, but he didn't buy into it. (he doesn't know as much about history as he does geography) Therefore I wanted to try and make him understand the weirdness found on the world's largest island. I was about show him the semi naked picture of Geoff with a can of food covering his privates, his unatural relationship with Matt and then view the film Crocodile Dundee II. I thought better of it and after vomiting a bit in my mouth, I came up with a better plan. My wife and I went to a store, bought an oversized Aussie flag for him to hang in his room, a box of Tim Tam Cookies for dessert (which are damn good BTW) and a eucalyptis plant for the living room.

To make a long enough story shorter....

Happy Australia Day!!

I doubt many other Canadians know about this, but my 7 year old son, who is obssessed with sharks, oceans, world populations, countries mortality rates and for some reason Australia let the family in on a little fact. He has a book full of geographical info and in it, it's written that January 26th is Australia Day. He got pretty excited and has been talking about it for a week now. Although we live thousands of miles away and our national day is July 1st, he still wanted to celebrate it.

I tried convincing him that Australia is an island full of criminals, but he didn't buy into it. (he doesn't know as much about history as he does geography) Therefore I wanted to try and make him understand the weirdness found on the world's largest island. I was about show him the semi naked picture of Geoff with a can of food covering his privates, his unatural relationship with Matt and then view the film Crocodile Dundee II. I thought better of it and after vomiting a bit in my mouth, I came up with a better plan. My wife and I went to a store, bought an oversized Aussie flag for him to hang in his room, a box of Tim Tam Cookies for dessert (which are damn good BTW) and a eucalyptis plant for the living room.

Happy Australia Day!!

:tumbsup:

Happy Australia Day!!

Fantastic post!!

I tried convincing him that Australia is an island full of criminals

:rofl2:

I tried convincing him that Australia is an island full of criminals, but he didn't buy into it.

Haha. Sounds like your son is more intelligent than the entire Great Britain. :lol:

Anyway, thanks for the kind wishes sir. And thanks to the Brits for leaving us the goods while they returned back to England. Sorry your ancestors got it so wrong. :tumbsup:

I'd have had no idea, other than Craig Ferguson mentioned it the other night on The Late Late Show. (Actually he began the show with a bit too.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmfFHl0pBuY

(The Australia bit starts around 4:09. He riffs on just about every Australian stereotype possible, while throwing in jabs at many other things along the way. Craig is the best host on late night television.)