Dirty Penny

Jeff

I know a lot of excitment on my part. Not a lot of cheers and whistles in the past for these guys on this board but I think these guys f'ing rock and now I see they are touring and coming to Minnesota and Wisconsin. I live in Wisconsin but close to the Twin Cities so I will probably check out either the Winona or Fridley show. Really, if you like balls out sleaze with attitude you need to pick up both cd's.

They have a video on their website for "If I Were You I'd Hate Me Too" and it does a decent job of bringing back memories of those basic 80's rock videos. Reminds me of Sweet Child O Mine a bit with the hat on backwards, warehouse sort of building. Guy puts a dusty VCR tape in and Dirty Penny rocks out.

http://www.dirtypennysucks.com/

Great band, love both CDs so far. I think the new climbed a few places in my top 20 everytime I heard it in 2009. Enjoy the show. And if you feel like supplying plane tickets ex-Sydney, Australia I'll shout us the concert tickets. :)

Great band, love both CDs so far. I think the new climbed a few places in my top 20 everytime I heard it in 2009. Enjoy the show. And if you feel like supplying plane tickets ex-Sydney, Australia I'll shout us the concert tickets. :)

Well, cover charge for the Dirty Penny/Hairball show is $10 at the door...what do plane tix from down under to the states cost these days, $1,500?

Think you could hang around long enough to buy my way into 150 concerts? :D

Well, cover charge for the Dirty Penny/Hairball show is $10 at the door...what do plane tix from down under to the states cost these days, $1,500?

Think you could hang around long enough to buy my way into 150 concerts? :D

Yeah, sure. Why not? We'll stay at your place? Would it be cool to bring my wife and pugs along too then?

Dirty Penny is one of those bands I still haven't gotten around to buying.

The songs I heard I liked but for some reason I haven't bought either disc yet.

Their first album is fantastic. The second is a bit hit or miss in my book but still pretty solid.

• 4 weeks later...

I am leaving Hudson shortly to see DP in Fridley, MN tonight. They are opening for a Bon Jovi tribute band called Bad Medicine. Should be a blast. I'll be heading back for round 2 tomorrow night.

GB Leighton's Pickle Park if anyone is within driving distance and wants to swing by.

http://www.gbleightonspicklepark.com/

I'll be wearing the red and black flannel, yamaha FZ1 hat on backwards...ah just look for the guy acting like an idiot. :beerbang:

I am leaving Hudson shortly to see DP in Fridley, MN tonight. They are opening for a Bon Jovi tribute band called Bad Medicine. Should be a blast. I'll be heading back for round 2 tomorrow night.

GB Leighton's Pickle Park if anyone is within driving distance and wants to swing by.

http://www.gbleightonspicklepark.com/

I'll be wearing the red and black flannel, yamaha FZ1 hat on backwards...ah just look for the guy acting like an idiot. :beerbang:

Have fun! :drink:

A few photo's to share from last nights DP show, hope this link works for you all, I made it through a new app that Yahoo mail has:

http://www.xoopit.com/s/210upsyc1l2jhddao3oz

Things to mention:

1. The show was great, they played for about 1 hour before Bad Medicine came on

2. Not a ton of people, you could get right to the front no problem but a decent crowd. A few of them seemed to know DP stuff, others were just there for the music. A fair amount of attractive women of all ages to look at.

3. Never saw Bad Medicine really, well I got kicked out of the bar for a bit during the their show...but they let me back in. Bouncer was confusing me with someone else maybe, I don't recall.

4. DP was a fun group of guys, a lot of energy

5. The songs I remember them playing were, If I Were You I'd Hate Me Too, Run To You, Dead At 16, Midnight Ride, Vendetta, Scream & Shout (great crowd pleaser song) and one cover song that I don't remember the name. I'll pay more attention tonight to the set list.

6. Yeah, in that one photo....I know we had a thread somewhere saying you were a dork if you wore your concert shirt to the concert. Well I want to clarify that I bought that DP t-shirt right before the show and just figured the best place to put it was on. So there, I am not a dork...I hope. :unsure:

7. GB Leighton's Pickle Park is an ok place. It is an anchor building of an old strip mall I think, with a sport bar on one end that wraps around past the kitchen to the bar area then the stage on the other end of the building...so not too bad.

Now I need to recover from this hangover and prepare to do it again. :headbanger:

A few photo's to share from last nights DP show, hope this link works for you all, I made it through a new app that Yahoo mail has:

http://www.xoopit.com/s/210upsyc1l2jhddao3oz

Things to mention:

1. The show was great, they played for about 1 hour before Bad Medicine came on

2. Not a ton of people, you could get right to the front no problem but a decent crowd. A few of them seemed to know DP stuff, others were just there for the music. A fair amount of attractive women of all ages to look at.

3. Never saw Bad Medicine really, well I got kicked out of the bar for a bit during the their show...but they let me back in. Bouncer was confusing me with someone else maybe, I don't recall.

4. DP was a fun group of guys, a lot of energy

5. The songs I remember them playing were, If I Were You I'd Hate Me Too, Run To You, Dead At 16, Midnight Ride, Vendetta, Scream & Shout (great crowd pleaser song) and one cover song that I don't remember the name. I'll pay more attention tonight to the set list.

6. Yeah, in that one photo....I know we had a thread somewhere saying you were a dork if you wore your concert shirt to the concert. Well I want to clarify that I bought that DP t-shirt right before the show and just figured the best place to put it was on. So there, I am not a dork...I hope. :unsure:

7. GB Leighton's Pickle Park is an ok place. It is an anchor building of an old strip mall I think, with a sport bar on one end that wraps around past the kitchen to the bar area then the stage on the other end of the building...so not too bad.

Now I need to recover from this hangover and prepare to do it again. :headbanger:

Sounds like a good show. My buddy that lives in Delano was at the show. He's going tonight too.

A friend and I went last night for Dirty Penny and Hairball. After having to park over a block away, we got to the door and got right in bu there's no doubt in my mind that they were well over capacity. The lines for the bathroom were insane and the line just to get to the bar was enough to piss me off as well. They had a lot of complaints about Hairball having an opening band (Hairball packs that place with no help) and the bar had signs up saying if you left before Hairball started, you'd get a refund. We got there in time to catch 2 songs from Dirty Penny and they were done.

There were plenty of people walking out when we got there and I didn't know why, but I knew now. Dirty Penny was good, but nobody knew anything they played from what I could tell and everyone was there for Hairball anyway. So they were not happy about an opening band that went well over their timeslot. The stage guys were still fucking around and finally at 11:20, we decided to get the hell out of there. I would have stayed for Hairball if the place wasn't so over capacity, but that was just insane and uncomfortable.

Of course the people at the front door wouldn't honor their very own signs saying that the band had already started. I informed her what the sign EXACTLY said and she still said that Hairball would start in a minute. Still the same, they had NOT started as of exactly NOW, so I wanted my momey back. She again refused saying that the sign I supposedly saw wasn't one they posted. So someone else in here carries a computer and printer to make those signs? She looked a little stumped...

I then told her that she knew damn well I had just come in 10 minutes before and she said thats doesn't matter either. So I informed her that I do know GB and I'll be contacting him for getting my money back and I'll inform him about his hostess not honoring their own posted signs. Her cocky look changed a bit and we just walked out. We ended up going to Dibbo's to see Monsters Of Mock.

A friend and I went last night for Dirty Penny and Hairball. After having to park over a block away, we got to the door and got right in bu there's no doubt in my mind that they were well over capacity. The lines for the bathroom were insane and the line just to get to the bar was enough to piss me off as well. They had a lot of complaints about Hairball having an opening band (Hairball packs that place with no help) and the bar had signs up saying if you left before Hairball started, you'd get a refund. We got there in time to catch 2 songs from Dirty Penny and they were done.

There were plenty of people walking out when we got there and I didn't know why, but I knew now. Dirty Penny was good, but nobody knew anything they played from what I could tell and everyone was there for Hairball anyway. So they were not happy about an opening band that went well over their timeslot. The stage guys were still fucking around and finally at 11:20, we decided to get the hell out of there. I would have stayed for Hairball if the place wasn't so over capacity, but that was just insane and uncomfortable.

Of course the people at the front door wouldn't honor their very own signs saying that the band had already started. I informed her what the sign EXACTLY said and she still said that Hairball would start in a minute. Still the same, they had NOT started as of exactly NOW, so I wanted my momey back. She again refused saying that the sign I supposedly saw wasn't one they posted. So someone else in here carries a computer and printer to make those signs? She looked a little stumped...

I then told her that she knew damn well I had just come in 10 minutes before and she said thats doesn't matter either. So I informed her that I do know GB and I'll be contacting him for getting my money back and I'll inform him about his hostess not honoring their own posted signs. Her cocky look changed a bit and we just walked out. We ended up going to Dibbo's to see Monsters Of Mock.

I would agree with most of your assessment. My sister and I arrived around 8p and grabbed a burger. We asked the waitress what time Dirty Penny was going on (I would have guessed 9:30p because that was the time on Friday night) but she said 9p. So at 8:45p we headed out of the table area into the stage area and we were able to squeeze among a decent crowd to get as close as we wanted, but we stayed back a bit.

I was there to see DP first, Hairball second so I was of course glad they had DP as an opening act. Problem was, DP didn't go on at 9p, or 9:30p...they didn't get on until around 10p. Toss in the fact like you said that most people didn't know DP's stuff, they were getting a little cranked about having to wait for Hairball. Now, I will say this...DP put a lot of energy into the show and won some folks over before their night was over. They put so much energy into the show the lead guitarist was whaling on strings and tipped over backwards and fell right off the stage into the crowd. Some dude half caught him and once he got back on stage he had a sheepish grin and went right back into going balls out. I really enjoy watching him play. Had a short chat with him too, nice guy, thanked me for coming out and rockin' with them 2 nights in a row. They came out and signed stuff, talked with the fans, etc.

Side story, I am watching Hairball and the lead singer comes out in the Prince costume. My sister loved it so I wanted to get a picture for her with her camera. I'm holding the camera up in the air above the crowd but I can't keep steady because someone has their hands on my shoulders and are pushing my shoulders back and forth purposely so I CAN'T get a steady pic. I finally turn around to see who thinks they are funny and it was DP's singer, Binge. So they were out having a good time with everyone.

But yeah, had they been able to go onstage at 9p, play for an hour, get Hairball on around 10:30p, I think that would have been better. It got very hot in there and for some reason people just could not stay put. I swear some people think the idea of a concert is to get up front, then walk out, have a smoke, come back up front, go get a drink, come back up front, go have a smoke, fuck around some more...stay in your damn spot for a bit people!

I look forward to seeing DP again for sure. My sister who came to see Hairball first, DP second (she does not know their stuff) said she actually enjoyed DP more because they played so hard and just had a good time. She liked watching Jonny on guitar a lot. She also had the same complaint about the bathroom lines. She thought for a place that size they should have more than 1 small bathroom.

Good times though!

One of Hairballs singers Kris Vox, also sings for Gemini, another Minnesota band. He then has 2 more projects called KV3 (Kris Vox Trio) and then he does a one man band thing as well. Busy guy.

One thing I forgot to mention which is related to one of your points T-Bone. The Hairball guitarist introduced DP and said something to the effect that it was suggested to him by a close friend to get Dirty Penny to open for them because their friend said these guys 'fuckin rock'. So it seems like it might have been Hairballs decision to have DP open, not the Pickle Park venue. I dunno.

Were either of these Dirty penny shows all age deals? Maybe 18 and over shows? It seems to me that DP have many younger fans.

I know when saw them last summer at Rocklahoma the crowd was pretty young. It seemed to me that at Rocklahoma a good majority of the crowd knew the songs from the first release. Dirty Penny did play alot of songs that would later be on their latest release which. of course, most fans didn't know. Dirty Penny very well could have been the largest side-stage draw at Rocklahoma last summer. I ended up working at their merch table at Rocklahoma last years and helped with the autograph signing they did afterwards. All very cool guys indeed.

Dave, it was a 21 and older show I'm sure as they carded everyone both nights.

Side story...I got kicked out of the bar on Friday night, so when I was in line Saturday the bouncer says "I don't need your ID I remember you from last night. At least your're a fun drunk. Move along."

Also, DP had no problem dropping all the F-bombs and Mother-f*cker that appear in their songs. Or when they toasted the crowd with shots of jagermeister and said "drink up mother f*ckers!".

Though I am not sure if it was an all ages show, would they be told by managment not to curse? Not sure.

Pickle Park is not an all ages venue for the most part unless parents bring in their kids to eat at the other end in the restaurant. Even then, most bands start at 9:30 or later, so the youngin's are usually gone by then anyway

• 1 month later...

So one day the guys in Dirty Penny were sitting around giving each other home perms, and Spanky says, "Hey, Binge, I got an idea. We should go up to Minnesota and Wisconsin. I hear that's, like, ground-zero for cheese, bro!" And Binge says, "Hells yeah, dude-man, I'm stoked! Let's go!" And when they got up there, all they found were a bunch of dairies. And Binge turned to Spanky and said, "Uh, Spank, brah, I didn't know you meant actual cheese. Like, to eat?"