Urban Meyer stepping down as head coach at Florida?!

whiplash1972

ESPN is reporting that Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach at Florida. There is nothing online about this anywhere at this moment, but damn what an interesting development. Wonder if he's going elsewhere, or if this is due to personal matters?

Slow down before you jump on this guy.

I just read an article from a week or so ago in SI that talked about his long career as an assistant and the constant health problems he's had with headaches. So this is not a big suprise to me at all but it is a shame as he is one hell of a coach and recruiter but as being a son of a former High School and Jr. College Basketball coach I can tell you how much it takes out of these guys(and gals) out there working insane hours away from their family and friends and not really living a normal life so to speak. The time my Dad spent recruiting and being at the job late at night during his college coaching days I couldn't even imagine what it would of been like being in Division I much less a D1 school the caliber of Florida. It's a job that never ends and it does take it's toal on you health and family wise and is very hard on everyone around you. That being said maybe Urban will just take a few years off and try to come back but if he doesn't he's left one hell of a memory in College Football in what seems like a very short amount of time, although he was a top assistant for many years with OSU, Notre Dame and Colorado State.

OK, now he's just taking an "extended leave of absence" and will be back coaching the Gators next season:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?i...ce=NCFHeadlines

Sounds like a man who's just plain ol' burned out and desperately needs some time off to me. Whatever the case, hopefully he'll do what's best for not only his personal health, but for his family as well.

It actually sounds like a man starving for attention during a bowl season that isn't all about Florida,Meyer,or his lov...I mean Timmy T-Bone.

I mean think about it....Ingram wins the Heisman.....No Timmy talk

Kelly takes the Notre dame job.....No Meyer talk

Alabama vs. Texas in the championship.....No Florida talk

Why not wait a week to do this dance.Why?? Because it has to be all about FLORIDA and it's not.

I agree. I kind of wonder about the timing of the announcement.

Regardless of ANYONE besides your football team, why would you possibly give them, especially your underclassmen that weren't leaving early, something ELSE to think about/field questions about? Keep THEIR focus on the game so you can win.

Also, in this day and age, we're used to flip floppers (Mr. QB 4 in Minnesota anyone?), but with news this "earth shattering", you really didn't think it over before you made the announcement? And then you thought over all the ramifications, of going against this "HUGE!" decision you made, in the following 24 hours?

Just seems a little too poorly or "conveniently" timed. I mean, I hope his health is alright, much as I abhor the Florida football program, but jeez. It doesn't all have to be about you. I feel bad for the kids (and all the sports lovers who now have their shows taken over by all the coverage of this debacle).

I agree, the timing of the announcement is "suspect" at best; however, if you think about it, from the Florida Athletic Director's point of view, you HAVE to go ahead and make the announcement as soon as Meyer tells you he's resigning, cause as soon as you contact the FIRST person about coming in and replacing him, it's a media frenzy. Might as well set off the frenzy yourself. Anyway, despite my dislike for the Gators, I do hope his health issues get sorted...

• 11 months later...

Yeah surprised he came back to only retire again.

Maybe after a few years he'll get the itch again.

It was a tough year for him and Florida and you have to wonder if that played a part or not. I guess it's tough to say. It is a tough life and he's been a heck of a coach for a short amount of time and I'm sure we'll hear him calling games on ESPN or something if he doesn't return to coaching.

I like the quote from TMZ's website that accompanies the story about Urban resigning:

1208-meyer-bn-getty-01.jpg

It's unclear why Meyer quit the Florida gig -- but his most famous alum, Tim Tebow, is now coachless over in Denver.

We're just sayin ...

-------------------------

Hmmm...

I like the quote from TMZ's website that accompanies the story about Urban resigning:

1208-meyer-bn-getty-01.jpg

It's unclear why Meyer quit the Florida gig -- but his most famous alum, Tim Tebow, is now coachless over in Denver.

We're just sayin ...

-------------------------

Hmmm...

Sorry not gonna happen. Me being a Bronco fan I'd prefer John Gruden if I had my choice but by all reports Pat Bowlen is going after the coach at Air Force as he used to work for the Broncos and he's a local Colorado guy whos become a local legend in a short amount of time at Air Force. I don't know how excited I am about him but that seems to be who everyone out here is talking about so I don't see Meyer in Denver, not that it would be a bad thing since he's a good coach, but I also don't see Tebow as the future here either, never did. I was hoping to be proven wrong but I don't expect him to be given much of a chance now that Josh McFucknuts is gone.