Red Dawn and Empire (Aus) - Opinions please

JamesEagle

Hi all

My first post on here, I'm looking for some advice.

I prefer the heavier rock and AOR releases, but occasionally like some of the softer stuff too. My favourite artists are Harlan Cage, White Sister, White Lion, Lion and Blue Murder among others. I have been reading on here about 2 albums that sound like they are up my street, I just wondered what others think of them. They are:

Empire - self titled (the Australian band)

Red Dawn - Never Surrender

I am thinking about buying the CDs, but they are pretty expensive, so I don't want to be too hasty! I haven't heard anything by either band.

Any opinions welcome please!

Cheers

James

Hello James,

welcome to the forum ! :drink: Enjoy the ride while it lasts !

Probably it would have been a good idea to introduce yourself before asking for opinions ...the guys over here are rather touchy (especially Geoff ! :lol:) and you would probably have received some feedback a lot sooner.

Anyway, I can only speak for the RED DAWN CD. Simple answer: AWESOME AOR release ! Get it NOW ! BUY at all cost !

Geoff, Phaffas (Matt) and Dave are the Aussies over here and they can tell you all about the EMPIRE release.

Cheers

Bernd

Thanks Bernd.

I didn't realise there was a protocol - I've posted a thread on the Introductions forum.

Cheers for the tip!

James

Thanks Bernd.

I didn't realise there was a protocol - I've posted a thread on the Introductions forum.

Cheers for the tip!

James

Welcome ! :drink: Don't take things too serious over here ! :tumbsup:

Haha... there's no protocol for asking questions only after an introduction, is there? I think the only reason there weren't replies yet was because the question was asked on a weekend.

Either way, the Red Dawn CD is pretty good but I think a little over-rated. I actually prefer the Network - 'Crashing Hollywood' CD which is related in some way which slips my mind now.

As for the Empire CD, very good disc. Not sure what sort of price range you're looking at but it's worth checking out for a good price. A couple of fillers, but generally pretty good stuff.

Red Dawn is fine, I also prefer the Network cd(same singer) as well as Heaven's Edge(singer was in Network)

The Red Dawn is brilliant and I will slightly differ in opinion on Geoff and Paul and say I prefer it to the Network album. Both damned fine though, so you can't go wrong with either.

I will also add that if you like White Sister and Red Dawn, then have a punt on the excellent Tour De Force 'World On Fire' if you haven't already heard or got it.

I'm actually surprised more people haven't bothered to check out Empire. I used to put that CD up on ebay all the time a few years back when copies were easy to come by. Never sold for much either. A few songs on that one - namely 'Calling' and the stunning 'Leave this way' - are worth the price alone.

I will slightly differ in opinion on Geoff, which is usually the case.

Necessary addition ! ;)

I'm actually surprised more people haven't bothered to check out Empire. I used to put that CD up on ebay all the time a few years back when copies were easy to come by. Never sold for much either. A few songs on that one - namely 'Calling' and the stunning 'Leave this way' - are worth the price alone.

Wish I'd been looking for it then, it seems to be very expensive now. Never mind, both CDs will be going on my birthday list for next year.

Jez - cheers for the tip, I've been listening to Tour de Force on Youtube and will be bidding for the CD soon.

Listened some Network, the vocals (on the heavier parts) remind me a bit of Keel. Not bad, yet another band to check out!

Red Dawn is a pure classic AOR imho ! Larry Baud is an awesome singer. If you have to choose between those two bands, go for Red Dawn without any hesitation as Bernd said. Except for the singer, it's difficult to compair Red Dawn and Network, different style, even if both are melodic.

Red Dawn is very "keyboard oriented"...

Ive only got their second album... every time i find the debut its water damaged or screwed. The second one isnt essential.. but a few nice Mr Big esque tracks. As for their eps... AVOID.

Ive only got their second album... every time i find the debut its water damaged or screwed. The second one isnt essential.. but a few nice Mr Big esque tracks. As for their eps... AVOID.

Yeah, the 2nd one is pretty average. It has that one awesome song - 'Feel' - and the rest is only pretty average.

I think the Red Dawn CD might be just a little too keyboard-heavy for me. Sounds like Empire will be more my taste, shame there are no samples on Youtube to listen to. I can get the CD for £15, which is quite expensive by today's prices. Needs more thought I reckon.

I think the Red Dawn CD might be just a little too keyboard-heavy for me. Sounds like Empire will be more my taste, shame there are no samples on Youtube to listen to. I can get the CD for £15, which is quite expensive by today's prices. Needs more thought I reckon.

I get the impression you'd probably agree with those of us who prefer the Network CD to the Red Dawn CD. Not quite as many swirling keys all over the place on that one - more emphasis on good, commercial melodic rock songs.