Examiner.com

Jacob M.

In my search for employment I discovered the website Examiner.com. My goal is to be a writer so I looked into working for their site. I've seen their articles listed on Google News and other sites. Everything seems legit so I went ahead and filled out their application. They accepted and I've done everything they've requested up to filling out a W-9 form. That one step just confuses me. I don't understand what a W-9 form has to do with anything. From the wording on the form you would think I was trying to run my own business, not write a few articles for a website. Can someone explain this to me? I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that I'm not going to be writing for that website.

It's my understanding that a W-9 is for employment and a 10-99 is for contractors or pay per piece. I may be wrong but anytime I was employed by someone I filled out a W-9 not a 10-99.

>> It's my understanding that a W-9 is for employment and a 10-99 is for contractors or pay per piece. I may be wrong but anytime I was employed by someone I filled out a W-9 not a 10-99. <<

A W-9 is you giving your SSN and other info for a company to hire you out an an independent contractor. A 1099 is what they send you in January in order for you to take care of your own taxes

I tried to publish my first article today and it was a massive headache. Their publishing tools are garbage. It would have been easier to handcode HTML and I would have ended up with better results. I gave up messing with their program. I'll have to give it another go tomorrow.

http://www.examiner.com/x-20734-Tulsa-Meta...all-of-the-Wild

Well, there ya go. I finally got my first review up. All of my hard work with a glitchy system and they changed it all around. I guess it works, but was trying to go for more of a Sleaze Roxx or Heavy Harmony type feel. I'm not sure on all of the legal issues yet either. I hate to say it, but I stole the Jungle Blue picture from this site. Sadly, that's the best pic I could find. Not sure how Dan feels about the issue. Will replace if need be.

For future reviews I need to know where to go to get pictures. The label itself or websites that sale it?

Well, there ya go. I finally got my first review up. All of my hard work with a glitchy system and they changed it all around. I guess it works, but was trying to go for more of a Sleaze Roxx or Heavy Harmony type feel. I'm not sure on all of the legal issues yet either. I hate to say it, but I stole the Jungle Blue picture from this site. Sadly, that's the best pic I could find. Not sure how Dan feels about the issue. Will replace if need be.

For future reviews I need to know where to go to get pictures. The label itself or websites that sale it?

awesome,bro! i'll be a reader!good luck. also how about writting some stuff about oliver magnum, forte, firstryke, powerlord etc?

Awesome Jacob. It's great that you're giving Jungle Blue some local coverage. :headbanger:

awesome,bro! i'll be a reader!good luck. also how about writting some stuff about oliver magnum, forte, firstryke, powerlord etc?

Whenever I finally pick up a copy of Firstryke I'll do a review. I should have picked one up at Rocklahoma. I really don't know a whole lot about those other bands. If they've released anything within the last few years and it's still easily obtainable I'll do a review of it. This writing stuff is hard. I spent all do working on my review of Kelley's Heroes. I'm still not sure if I got all of my points across.

Don't forget to keep all receipts for everything, if you do get a 1099, and make enough for them to issue you one like was said over 600.00, make sure you write off your computer and any and all other expense that relate to your job, because you are going to get screwed in the self employment portion of you taxes if you have income. If you had started your own corp, which isn't so expensive they are not required to issue you a 1099, but that's more legal jumble.

So you just review anything, and they paid you?

I'm not exactly raking in the dough yet, but yeah. If they have an opening you can write about almost anything. The only problem is that you can only write about whatever topic you are assigned. I got the Tulsa Metal topic so I'm stuck to it. If I just flat out kicked butt at writing, which I don't, I could probably get assigned other topics. Trying to write about this one topic will be challenging enough.