IRON MAIDEN documentary

rob62972

http://blog.vh1.com/2009-05-22/iron-maiden...ock-doc-june-6/

Last year Iron Maiden flew around the world for their Somewhere Back In Time Tour. Making their home in a 757, they took 45 days to shake the planet with their metal anthems. They knew where they were going: lead singer Bruce Dickinson was in the cockpit, piloting the plane to every one of the 23 sold-out stadium gigs. Want to know what it’s like to be on the road with one of hard rock’s most acclaimed acts? Iron Maiden: Flight 666, a full-length documentary of the whole deal, tells the story. It premieres on VH1 Classic and Palladia on Saturday, June 6 at 9 pm; it’s VH1 premiere is 12 midnight that same evening.

“Having what is basically a flying “splitter bus” with all our gear and crew on board allowed us to undertake a touring schedule the likes of which has never been attempted before,” says Dickinson. “By being independent of flight and freight connections and schedules we could literally go where we wanted when we wanted. And so we did. It was quite a journey, exhausting at times with jet lag taking its toll, but our fans everywhere were magnificent which made all the effort and planning and time well worthwhile. It really was a unique experience until, that is, we did it again earlier this year!!”

The band played in 13 countries, also landing in Azerbaijan and Papua New Guinea en route for fuel stops, traveling 50,000 miles (70,000 km) and performing to almost half a million fans — a schedule that was only made possible by having their own “magic carpet” which enabled them to go where they wanted with all the key elements of band, crew and equipment on board one plane, christened “ED FORCE ONE.”

The film is produced by celebrated award-winning film makers Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn of Banger Productions, based in Toronto, Canada, who have received international critical acclaim for their previous movies, Metal: A Headbanger’s Journey and Global Metal.

Watching it now in high def on Palladia. That plane is just way too fucking cool. The lead singer of the band being the pilot of the plane is even more cool.

Iron Maiden (in my opinion) has never really garnered mainstream acceptance here in the U.S., at least not to the same degree that Judas Priest and Metallica have. This despite having a superior discography, as well as probably having a legion of fans worldwide as large as, if not larger than, the aforementioned groups. It's amazing to see the kind of numbers that this band can draw in other countries.

Excellent film and the best Iron Maiden behind the scenes documentary by far. Amazing how absolutely HUGE this band still are throughout the world (and deservedly so in my opinion) - Nice to have the full concert on the 2nd disc aswell, making this is an excellent package all round.

Now for the Anvil Documentary on DVD to follow it up! :headbanger:

I've watched the new DVD yesterday and all I can say that this documentary rocks!!!! Maybe one of the best docus I've ever seen. My flesh began to creep to see those crazy south american fans...so cool...

Anyway congrats to Scott McFadyen and Sam Dunn for this amazing work :bowdown:

Sheeeeez-nit. I was away for the weekend and had meant to set my recorder to tape "Flight 666" while I was gone....aaaaaand of course, I forgot :crying:

I was under the impression that Saturday's airing was the only airing.

I've looked ahead two weeks and don't see it playing again.

They are playing the Somewhere Back in Time live show though.

I did record the "Somewhere Back In Time" show last night. Was hoping that "Flight 666" might follow it but no dice :crying:

VH1 Classic played the Heaven & Hell "Live At Radio City" concert a week or two ago, I'm hoping that one turns up again as well. It's like I don't have to bother buying live DVDs, I just record'em off Vh1 Classic. :beerbang:

I did record the "Somewhere Back In Time" show last night. Was hoping that "Flight 666" might follow it but no dice :crying:

VH1 Classic played the Heaven & Hell "Live At Radio City" concert a week or two ago, I'm hoping that one turns up again as well. It's like I don't have to bother buying live DVDs, I just record'em off Vh1 Classic. :beerbang:

Yeah that's nice how they've been playing most of the DVDs that are coming out.

They've even played Kiss' Psycho Circus tour kickoff and the Live in Houston from 1977. :headbanger:

What is the Somewhere Back In Time show you're referring to? That's not Maiden England, is it? I thought that was the Seventh Son tour.

What is the Somewhere Back In Time show you're referring to? That's not Maiden England, is it? I thought that was the Seventh Son tour.

I haven't watched my video of the "Somewhere Back In Time" show yet but I believe it is made up of clips from various shows from last year's tour, which was all oldies, hence the "Somewhere Back In Time" name.

I haven't watched my video of the "Somewhere Back In Time" show yet but I believe it is made up of clips from various shows from last year's tour, which was all oldies, hence the "Somewhere Back In Time" name.

Duh...gotcha. I thought that the Flight 666 documentary had the live stuff, too. That's what was confusing me.

Got my copy of the Flight 666 dvd yesterday & watched it last night. A couple first impressions...it's almost embarrassing how lame the US crowds looked compared to the South American ones (or any of the other crowds, for that matter). It seemed there were lots of close ups of the LA Forum & Jersey gig, cause when they pulled back to show the audience, it looked like most were standing around with their arms folded or their thumbs up their asses...lame. Compare that to the Columbian crowd, that were jumping around so much it looked as if they might shake the stage apart. The shot of the guy who caught Nicko's drum stick skaking & weeping after the show was over was truley moving.

The other thing that struck me was how well Bruce was singing. He was hitting high notes that he couldn't sing of the Live After Death dvd. And best of all...hardly any shots of Janick dancing around like an idiot!

A few more quick thoughts...for the most part, killer set list. I just wish some of the old "standards" they always play (Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills, Trooper) were left off in favor of some of some more obscure stuff...Where Eagles Dare & The Prisoner would have been kick ass to hear after all these years. And no songs from Killers?