PRIMAL FEAR - 16.6 (Before the Devil Knows Youre Dead)

TIM (2)

Their first disc with Magnus Karlsson on guitars, I kinda expected them to continue with the experimentation but they really play it safe here. It's much more straight-ahead (aside from "Torn" and "Hands of Time") and it's all very impressively played - the guitar work is stunning, killer riffs (on "Six Times Dead") and amazing solos ("Torn") - but just doesn't quite go far enough IMO. I really hoped that songs like "Diabolus" and "Fighting The Darkness" off the last couple of albums were a blueprint for the new direction, but they just don't push the boundaries at all. There's still plenty of orchestration - and a lot of keyboards - but the songwriting is pretty formulaic by Power Metal standards.

It's solid, probably as good as the fairly decent "New Religion" disc, but nowhere near "Seven Seals" IMO.

Didn't even know it was out yet... will keep an eye peeled for it now.

It came out last week....

This is the video for the first single "Six Times Dead" (nice riff)....

It came out last week....

This is the video for the first single "Six Times Dead" (nice riff)....

Killer vid!! Yea I am gonna be picking this up ASAP.. I have heard it, and it DOES sound good to Me!!!!! :headbanger:

• 2 weeks later...
Gonna wait on the jewel case version...from the little ive heard off '16.6' i already like it better than 'New Religion'.

There are more "classic" sounding Primal Fear songs overall and there's some "symphonic" stuff too.

Knowing how much you love the old stuff you're gonna love "Killbound". :headbanger:

There's even a tune called "Hands of Time" that's a little different and has Magnus, Matt and Heny singing different parts with Ralph also singing a few lines.

Gonna wait on the jewel case version...from the little ive heard off '16.6' i already like it better than 'New Religion'.

There are more "classic" sounding Primal Fear songs overall and there's some "symphonic" stuff too.

Knowing how much you love the old stuff you're gonna love "Killbound". :headbanger:

There's even a tune called "Hands of Time" that's a little different and has Magnus, Matt and Heny singing different parts with Ralph also singing a few lines.

I agree there's more classic sounding and symphonic stuff, but all the experimentation is pretty much gone. The songwriting is pretty formulaic again - there's no epic stuff like "Fighting the Darkness" on here - and to be honest I'm not a big fan of the vocal performance on this new disc. Decent stuff IMO, but they're sounding more & more like MASTERPLAN with each new album...

I agree there's more classic sounding and symphonic stuff, but all the experimentation is pretty much gone. The songwriting is pretty formulaic again - there's no epic stuff like "Fighting the Darkness" on here - and to be honest I'm not a big fan of the vocal performance on this new disc. Decent stuff IMO, but they're sounding more & more like MASTERPLAN with each new album...

Even though I like the new disc I do think that New Religion is a better album overall but the new one is growing on me. I do think they need to decide to go all the way with the symphonic stuff or just don't do it at all. With Seven Seals they showed this great growth but still sounded like Primal Fear.

'Formulaic' is good thing when it comes to a band like PF,what drew me to these guys or even Tyran Pace was the unapolagetic Priest influence...guess im a dinosaur but i hate change.

I do notice a huge difference over the last couple of cds on how Ralph sings.

Listening to the old stuff yesterday I realized how much better he sang back in the day.

In some ways he was out Halfording Halford, if that makes sense. :headbanger:

Still haven't checked this out yet but I hope to soon...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

With Seven Seals they showed this great growth but still sounded like Primal Fear.

Nice observation and i agree.

After just hearing 16.6 in its entirety im seriously getting turned off.Almost like they changed labels and forgot who they were.'Killbound' is indeed a f**ker! Great tune in the vein of the old stuff,but d*mn alot of the songs on this and the last disc sound monotonous,unmemorable and lack any punch to me (thanks in part to their need to continue to screw with that orchestral symphonic nonsense).PF need to get back to the PF of old before the devil knows THEY'RE dead... <_<

With Seven Seals they showed this great growth but still sounded like Primal Fear.

Nice observation and i agree.

After just hearing 16.6 in its entirety im seriously getting turned off.Almost like they changed labels and forgot who they were.'Killbound' is indeed a f**ker! Great tune in the vein of the old stuff,but d*mn alot of the songs on this and the last disc sound monotonous,unmemorable and lack any punch to me (thanks in part to their need to continue to screw with that orchestral symphonic nonsense).PF need to get back to the PF of old before the devil knows THEY'RE dead... <_<

There's a new interview with Matt Sinner where he admits that they went to far on New Religion and he feels like they made a step back towards the old Primal Fear on the new disc but of course they still had some newer sounding songs on there too.

'Formulaic' is good thing when it comes to a band like PF,what drew me to these guys or even Tyran Pace was the unapolagetic Priest influence...guess im a dinosaur but i hate change.

I do notice a huge difference over the last couple of cds on how Ralph sings.

Listening to the old stuff yesterday I realized how much better he sang back in the day.

In some ways he was out Halfording Halford, if that makes sense. :headbanger:

Nope, that totally makes sense. I'm about 3 or 4 songs into my first listen and that was onde of the first things I noticed. Also noticed that the guitar solos, while AMAZING, are mixed a bit too far back for my tastes. Sounds like they went a little proggy on this so far, not that I don't like it, but it doesn't sound very PF to me.... I bought the new Dream Theater so I'm covered for prog, I was hoping to bang my head to this one. Well, like I said, only a few songs in so we'll see how it goes. It was the next disc after Steel Panther in my car, which I can honestly say after two listens I'm pretty much done with other than novelty spins when I have friends in the car who haven't heard it...

• 2023 Gold Donors

Ralf still sounds wicked good i think...listen to 'Killbound' and then the rest of the album.Its the material and direction thats weak,those high octane vox were meant for the classic heavier 'priest on steroids' PF stuff.The dude could sing over a dial tone and make it sound good.Ill continue to spin it...