Destrophy - The Way Of The World

Glen

Ive been listening to this album from 2007 for the best part of a week now.

Firstly I have two questions -

1. How the hell did this band pass me by?

2. How the hell did they pass every other person on this board by??

Or did they?

Anyhows - this album is f stellar. I guess its kind of a best of as it includes the highlight tracks from their debut (Chrysallis) which was released in 2004 (namely 'Why I Hate Goodbye', 'Rise Again', Let it Go' and 'Eye For Eye'), and all four songs from their 2005 EP called 'Prey'.

So you have pretty much everything you need on one album - 15 tracks in full!

So here we go, a quick summary -

1. This Is Not My Life - Huge bombastic opener like Dream Theater (Systematic Chaos sound) with clean melodic chorus

2. The Way Of The World - Totally 'Story Of The Year'..could have been lifted from 'The Black Swan' album. Awesome chorus, great song. Clean vocals

3. March Of The Dreamless - Power metal now. double kick drums. clean vocals throughout and a nice driving chorus. Great stuff

4. Losing Everything - Slower track..back to the SOTY sound & huge chorus. clean vocals

5. Empty - Harsh vocals through a killer verse into a melodic chorus. Brutal and tender.

6. Innocence - Very nice. Reminds me of Threshold (Dead Reckoning era). Good chorus. clean vocals.

7. I Stand - Quality up a notch. Love this. back to the SOTY sound again. mid tempo. clean vox

8. Let It Go - More of a Disturbed sound..but the bouncing riff sounds awesome - another great track!

9. Why I Hate Goodbye - Stabbing riff..more of an industrial sound..love that chrous tho. super cool track!

10.Eye To Eye - starts out pretty basic NU metal sound with harsh vox in what you think is the chorus..but wait for that chorus..excellent! Then latin style guitars is crushed by a massive riff (WTF!)..back to the harsh chorus then closes with the melodic chorus. genius.

11. Rise Again - Brutal riff. almost a Slipknot sound with harsh vox but leads to a nice melodic chorus.

12. Pray - Wow. Bone splintering stuff. totally Slipknot verse (awesome) leads to another melodic chorus. bloody wicked track

check this out.....killer.

:beerbang:

13. Arms Of The Enemy - does it get any better than this? like Dream Theater crossed with Disturbed, with a huge chorus which is almost Pallas like. Again huge Threshold comparison. One of the best tracks

check it......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNUqLhpcsCA&feature=related :banger:

14. Born Again - Huge. Huge. Huge. God what's this? Slipknot meets Filter?? you decide...another killer track on a killer album!

15. Monarch - Fitting end to the album. another huge riff. ridiculous sound..Slipknot meets Muse is the closest I can get. killer.

Wow, to be honest this is definitely in my top 3 albums of 2007. Possibly the best album - its just awesome from beginning to end - 15 tracks of it!

& there's more to come as well (hopefully).....looks like they are going back to the studio soon for a new album and there are a couple of new tracks knocking about. The first is called 'Still Bleeding' and is totally fucking awesome and probably the best track Ive heard all year - check this killer with an off the chart chorus -

the second is featured on their Myspace and is called 'Rise Of The Overman' and is a more basic hard rock sound - really hard rock sound. Bloody excellent me thinks. :banger:

http://www.myspace.com/destrophy

Apologies if you already know this band, but I couldnt one reference to them on our sacred boards.

Hope you find it as killer as me.

Lastly check the video for 'This Is Not My Life'.....is this a fucking cool looking band or what! :bowdown:

Cheers.

After listening to the TOTALLY AWESOME 'The Way Of The World' I was wondering why this great band wasn't posted in the Hard Rock section of the forum, then I played 'Pray' and can se why...very heavy stuff.

I've played a few of the other songs listed above and it all ranges from modern melodic Hard Rock sounding through to some screaming Heavy Metal. This isn't a bad thing though as the songs are really good. I found myself enjoying what I've heard so far. I'm just a little bit hesitant about how these differeing intensities will flow on the same CD.

Great find Lennie!

PS Everyone should at least play 'The Way Of The World' - great song!

I must get ready for work now but I will be checking this out asap. I quickly checked out the track "Way of your World" and liked what I heard. Definitely must hear some more.

I gave this a spin last night and sadly I was pre-occupied, but I did like it. Best album of 2007? Sorry, Glen, not by a long shot. But it is pretty damn good. On first spin only the title track and a track towards the end with an absolutely gigantic chorus leapt out at me, but there wasn't anything I heard which I thought was crap. Looking forward to some more spins.

I gave this a spin last night and sadly I was pre-occupied, but I did like it. Best album of 2007? Sorry, Glen, not by a long shot. But it is pretty damn good. On first spin only the title track and a track towards the end with an absolutely gigantic chorus leapt out at me, but there wasn't anything I heard which I thought was crap. Looking forward to some more spins.

Monster album for me mate.......to be honest I wasnt really expecting you to be into this at all....was more thinking for the more metal orientated guys. By the way, have you listened to 'Still Bleeding'?

Holy shit - this band is killer. I actually love the heavier stuff more ("Pray" is probably my fave). Very unusual sound, heavy guitar with some Savatage-style keyboards, and a mix of growling/clean vocals, not really like anything else I've heard. Awesome soloing too. I didn't like "Rise of the Overman" much - too formulaic - but everything else was amazing. This is like the first time I heard NIGHTWISH's "Once" album - massive crossover stuff with a mix of so many styles that just blew me away. Like I said, I'd actually a prefer an album full of stuff more like "Pray", but their later stuff seems to be going in the other direction, but still awesome stuff...

Going to try find it now. Nice find Glen. :drink:

Holy shit - this band is killer. I actually love the heavier stuff more ("Pray" is probably my fave). Very unusual sound, heavy guitar with some Savatage-style keyboards, and a mix of growling/clean vocals, not really like anything else I've heard. Awesome soloing too. I didn't like "Rise of the Overman" much - too formulaic - but everything else was amazing. This is like the first time I heard NIGHTWISH's "Once" album - massive crossover stuff with a mix of so many styles that just blew me away. Like I said, I'd actually a prefer an album full of stuff more like "Pray", but their later stuff seems to be going in the other direction, but still awesome stuff...

Going to try find it now. Nice find Glen. :drink:

Glad you liked it mate

Monster album for me mate.......to be honest I wasnt really expecting you to be into this at all....was more thinking for the more metal orientated guys. By the way, have you listened to 'Still Bleeding'?

Nah, didn't hear that one yet. It's on my list. :)

I loved the title track "Way Of Your World", but that was about it. I haven't listened to this "Still Bleeding" you speak of though. Is that another album or just another track they did?

I loved the title track "Way Of Your World", but that was about it. I haven't listened to this "Still Bleeding" you speak of though. Is that another album or just another track they did?

That and Rise of The Overmann are new material. I guess new album due sometime, not sure when tho........

Ordered this from their website, am waiting patiently (not) for it to arrive...

Yeah, sorry Glen, going to have to go with Chris again here. After a few more spins I can appreciate what they're trying to do with those melodies, but the only time they pull it off, imo, is on the awesome title track, which is truly excellent. The next best, imo, was the 14th song, but that still wasn't good enough for me.

Now, onto 'Still bleeding' - that is awesome! Reminds me sooo much of 'My Heart' by Saint Deamon. That's a great song. I thought if they can do an album full of those for the newie it'd be great, but then I heard 'Rise of the overman' and it just sounds like Disturbed to me, who I do not like.

So I don't know, mate. I might check out the new disc based on the strength of 'Still Bleeding'.

Not surprised by your reaction at all.

However I do expect a completely different reply from Tim when this baby lands on his door mat.

Still a monster album for me...I love it.

However I do expect a completely different reply from Tim when this baby lands on his door mat.

I think it's been sent by carrier pidgeon....

• 5 months later...

Doods, have you heard the new CD? I just heard a bit (and will concentrate on proper listen later) but it sounds pretty freakin' good. Possibly a little more "accessible" than the last one.

Doods, have you heard the new CD? I just heard a bit (and will concentrate on proper listen later) but it sounds pretty freakin' good. Possibly a little more "accessible" than the last one.

what you mean that last one which was freakin awesome ;-))

Yeah this is high on my radar.........when i get a spare moment i need to track this down for a listen.

Hopefully it will be on Spotify soon

Wow, i can feel the disappointment rushing over my whole body.

Is this a new album?

Fuck no.............not with at least 6 re-records on it.

WTF are they playing at!

This is shafting the fans....expecting them to re-buy old songs.

Well, if I hadnt heard the last 7 tracks before then I would honestly say this is easily the best album of 2009. Basically they have taken the best most kick arse (7) tracks off the magnificent debut and added 4 totally killer tracks at the beginning.

If anyone hasnt heard this band yet - pick this up as it is totally KILLER.

I mean 'Rise Of The Overmann' basically fucks Metallica up the arse.

One qu tho...............where the fuck is 'Still Bleeding'????

Hey Glen, I couldn't be bothered to go and find my MP3's of the last disc, but have they re-recorded the older songs? This sounds way better than the last album, imo. The vocals seem more "friendly" and the only song I did recognise - the KILLER 'The way of the world' - sounded even better than before. Am I just hearing things or are these new versions?

Overall, very good album and whatever they've done, I like it much better than the previous one. Looks like it was a good edit as the last one was too long.

This sounds freakin' amazing, next time I go to the States I'm picking this one up. 2009 is finishing with a bang.