Social Code - s/t

Geoff

This is actually a band that has been on my radar for quite a long time. I've tried to buy this many times at Secondspin, but I keep missing out. So for now I've been naughty and will spin it tomorrow morning. I gave myself a little taster now and I love what I hear. I have a HUGE soft spot for Canadian modern rock bands, (Cauterize, Summerhero, Hedley for starters) and these guys sound just as good. Check them out if you like those guys:

http://www.myspace.com/socialcode

http://cdbaby.com/cd/socialcode

... Damn 'He said she said' sounds great! Looks like a good band... for me at least. :)

I haven't heard of these guys before but the samples sound good. That S/T album was released in 2007 right? Has there been anything since or are their plans for a new album?

I haven't heard of these guys before but the samples sound good. That S/T album was released in 2007 right? Has there been anything since or are their plans for a new album?

Holy chist mate, I absolutely loved this CD!!! Listened to it 2 times in a row last night and just want to keep spinning it. For me, Cauterize and SR-71 still sit triumphantly above all other modern rock, and this is a band very much in that style. Imagine SR-71, with a bit of A Change of Pace... man, I just really loved this disc. I want the debut one too.

As for a new album, I believe it's almost complete. I hate to jump right on a new bandwagon, but this is now one of my most anticipated discs of the year and has potential to take out the top modern title, imo. Fans of heavier modern rock/metal may as well just stay away, but if you love SR-71 and Hedley, this needs to be heard. Love it!!

Still loving the s/t disc, especially 'He said, she said', 'Everyday' and 'Forever always ends'.

Just heard the debut; 'A year at the movies' and it delivers too. These guys prbably won't really blow anyone away, but I dig them. The vocalist is different - "aggressive", maybe... but I really like his voice. Tracks like 'Miss you' and 'Perfect Grave' off the debut are great too, proving that the new album will be something to look out for. :)

Doesnt blow me away Im afraid mate. Im being very picky with the modern stuff these days. If it doesnt blow me away Im not bothering with it cos there are literally hundreds of these bands now and its just too much to keep on top of.

All the songs featured were all OK - even approaching good in some places, but just does nothing for me really.

I want some more SOTY, A Change, Papa, Nural, Shinedown....that sort of killer stuff.

Might just have to wait til May for Adelitas Way....which will be up there with those bands :tumbsup:

Yeah, I can see these guys may not be for all... I personally love it, though. These guys and National Product are delicious to me! I have to admit I prefer both to Nural - personally - but that's just me, I'm sure. :) Marianas Trench are also similar to all these guys. But not as good.

• 4 months later...

Well these guys have got a new album out called 'Rock n Roll'.

Weird first track - like a rough rock n Roll ballad........very strange choice for an opening track.

Then there's 2 killer tracks in 'Nothing Left To Lose' and 'Satisfied'........i thought i was on for a pretty damned good listen.

Unfortunately not.........the rest of the album is middle of road red neck music to these ears.

Not my thing at all.................

I got about a dozen pieces of essential listening on the weekend and this was one of them. Only heard first 2 songs and yeah, opener was odd, but I liked the next one. Looking forward to the full disc. I do like this band, though I admit they're not 1st tier stuff. High 2nd tier. :)

I really like the s/t cd. Yea, "aggressive" is a fitting description of the vocals on a few songs, particularily Bomb Hands which is one of my faves off this one.

Not sure what to make of the lead off single from their latest but I'll likely pick it up in spite of it. They're playing locally on the 22nd of the month so I may even check them out live.

Track by track, 'Rock n' roll' as I hear it:

1. "Rock 'N' Roll" ; yeah, don't know about this as an opener. To be honest, I quite like it. It's a good track, but I'd have used it as the album closer rather than opener.

2. "Nothing Left to Lose" ; very cool. Sort of like the best Buckcherry could ever come up with mixed with a bit of Papa Roach. Simple solo, but thumbs up for trying anyway. :lol: Great track.

3. "Satisfied" ; pretty average. Not bad, but not that good either.

4. "Buy Buy Baby" ; happy, boppy kind of track. Not overly my thing, but kind of catchy chorus. Not a great song though.

5. "Real Girl" ; good track. Not exactly off the charts, but the best song on the CD so far. Nice laid back hook.

6. "Fight For Love" ; no real sugar-coating available for this one - pretty blatant filler.

7. "You Never Know What You Got Until It’s Gone" ; nice recovery. Easily the best song on the CD so far now. Great hard rocker. This is what I expect from these guys... where's this been? Love it.

8. "Stay" ; now this is much more like it. This is more what I was expecting from these guys. Great ballad, great song. Thumbs up.

9. "I'm Not Okay" ; not sure about the two ballad in a row option, but when they're both this good I'm sure as sin not complaining. Another excellent song. These guys are definitely a bit more raw than your average highly polished modern rock band and it shows here. This song is excellent, but sounds a bit like a rougher SR-71. Three great songs in a row... I like it.

10. "It's Too Late for Tomorrow" ; decent sing-along closer... but decent is about the best I can give it.

And there you go. Album over. To be honest, a little underwhelming and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting better after the great s/t disc. I couldn't honestly recommend this with the ratio of gems to filler leaning in favour of the fillers... but if you're part of the Itunes scene I would recommend downloading "You Never Know What You Got Until It’s Gone", "Stay", "I'm Not Okay" and "Nothing left to lose". Four great songs on an otherwise pretty average disc.