Exodus - LET THERE BE BLOOD

Fat Freddy

I coulda sworn there was a thread about this already, but I couldn't find it. :blink:

2809209181_56a13ac238.jpg

LET THERE BE BLOOD, a re-recorded version of Exodus' classic 1985 debut, BONDED BY BLOOD, will be released in late October. Last time I checked, guitarist Gary Holt is the only member of Exodus who actually PLAYED on BONDED... that's still in the lineup. I'm not a fan of current Eggs At Us (ha!) vocalist Rob Dukes either, so this new one doesnt' interest me much at all. Though I must admit that this one's got bitchin' cover artwork, the original BONDED... was and still is a stone cold thrash classic that didn't need to be updated/revisited... they should've left it alone IMO!!!

Metal T, I know you're an Exodus man... chime in, I'm betting you're probably not too crazy about this one either huh?

What do the rest of you think, not only of this album but of the entire "re-visiting the oldies" trend? I've liked a couple of such albums (Helstar's SINS OF THE PAST comes to mind, as does X-Sinner's FIRE IT UP) but overall I find these kinds of CD's pretty unnecessary... especially if you already own the original versions...if a band wants to polish up some oldies and include 'em as a bonus disc with a CD of NEW material, that would be fine, but asking fans to pony up more $$ for new versions of the same ol' bread just doesn't sit right with me most of the time...

I don't know...I really liked the Testament album "First Strike Still Deadly", but that had all the original members re-recording their classic songs, not a bunch of hired guns. If Souza was doing the vocals, this would probably be killer, but Dukes? :puke:

If Souza was doing the vocals, this would probably be killer, but Dukes? :puke:

It might be a little more interesting if Souza were doing the vox, but of course, nobody could replace the original vocalist, Paul Baloff, on those tunes. That dude was out of his mind!!!

I think this is an awesome idea (might be on my own there!) I am definitely picking this up, I love the last couple of Exodus albums and like Dukes' more aggressive vocals - much more than Souza's tired effort on "Tempo of the Damned". I honestly think, sound-wise, that "Bonded By Blood" was beyond saving. Same with the early Testament stuff, so any forms of remaster (especially as those were analog recordings) is just still going to sound shit. Don't get me wrong, "Bonded...." is a classic album no question, but those great songs deserved a better sound quality IMO.

Hopefully though, this won't delay their new studio disc; "Atrocity Exhibition Part B" from coming out, as I cannot wait for that. :banger:

Souza's tired effort on "Tempo of the Damned".

If you thought Souza sounded "tired" on TEMPO, you obviously didn't hear him on IMPACT IS IMMINENT or FORCE OF HABIT, the last two discs Exodus did in the 90s before their initial breakup. The whole band was basically phoning it in on those two albums... I just gave IMPACT... a spin earlier today in fact, and after a few tracks remembered why I never listen to that album anymore... zzzzzzz.

On the other hand, I thought Souza sounded positively over-caffeinated on TEMPO!!!

Souza's tired effort on "Tempo of the Damned".

If you thought Souza sounded "tired" on TEMPO, you obviously didn't hear him on IMPACT IS IMMINENT or FORCE OF HABIT, the last two discs Exodus did in the 90s before their initial breakup. The whole band was basically phoning it in on those two albums... I just gave IMPACT... a spin earlier today in fact, and after a few tracks remembered why I never listen to that album anymore... zzzzzzz.

On the other hand, I thought Souza sounded positively over-caffeinated on TEMPO!!!

Yeah I have "Impact is Imminent". It sounds like AC/DC! I really liked "Tempo...." actually, but personal taste dictates that the more aggressive "Shovel Headed Kill Machine" and "Atrocity Exhibition" are much more my kinda thing...

• 2023 Gold Donors
I coulda sworn there was a thread about this already, but I couldn't find it. :blink:

2809209181_56a13ac238.jpg

LET THERE BE BLOOD, a re-recorded version of Exodus' classic 1985 debut, BONDED BY BLOOD, will be released in late October. Last time I checked, guitarist Gary Holt is the only member of Exodus who actually PLAYED on BONDED... that's still in the lineup. I'm not a fan of current Eggs At Us (ha!) vocalist Rob Dukes either, so this new one doesnt' interest me much at all. Though I must admit that this one's got bitchin' cover artwork, the original BONDED... was and still is a stone cold thrash classic that didn't need to be updated/revisited... they should've left it alone IMO!!!

Metal T, I know you're an Exodus man... chime in, I'm betting you're probably not too crazy about this one either huh?

Yeah..known it was coming for awhile,when id first heard they were gonna revisit "BBB" i thought WTF? Wasn't too happy about Gary Holt possibly pissing on what myself and alot of others believe to be the best thrash metal album ever recorded.Thought they should've at least brought back the original surviving members for it w/Steve on mic.Then i thought of the Dukes'gig id seen with him on vox where they did "Strike Of The Beast" and another tune off there.He actually sounded pretty convincing doing it live.(SHKM was d*mn good i thought).Seen Zet live with 'em too and i knew he could do the stuff pretty well.As along as they don't stray from those original arrangements and don't try to drop a buncha caveman death metal vox on there ill give it a shot and yes the artwork looks wild (here's to it not getting pulled this time :drink: )...

I don't think I'll be picking this one up either.

I loved the music on the last album but don't care for Dukes voice much.

As Keef said if Souza was singing these songs I'd be interested.

As for bands re-recording old albums, it really depends on the band and album.

I loved Twisted Sister's "Still Hungry" because it sounded and looked great and you got all those extra songs.

The Helstar that Keef mentioned was also badass and it had two brand new songs on it.

Can't wait for the new Helstar. :headbanger:

Warrant did a bunch or re-records on Greatest and Latest and they sounded okay but not as good as the originals but at least they threw in 3 brand new tracks that were solid.

I have a Love/Hate greatest hits cd that are all re-recorded songs and it blows IMO.

I think Bulletoboy have done this and LA Guns redid "Cocked and Loaded" but I refuse to buy that.

One thing you can guarantee here, old Exodus fans will hate this. Anyone who touches the old 80's thrash stuff is always met with stuff like "the old material might have sounded shit, but that added to the raw/rough vibe". Which is most likely true (even if it's not my personal opinion). Testament fans slagged the "First Strike..." album big-time, even suggesting the performances weren't as good (Tempesta not as good as Louie Clemente? Are you kidding me?!)...

Read this shit below, about the Testament album, as an example. Fucking morons....

"This is a form of rape which is unbelievable. One wonders why on earth a band would want to re-record old classic songs when nothing was wrong with the originals in the first place. In '88 Maiden re-recorded two tracks from their debut with Dickinson and those versions were pretty good keeping in mind that Harris has never been happy with the production of the 1980 debut album. This Testament release however is insulting and obsolete.

Testament used to be a thrash metal band, somewhere in the eighties. Chuck Billy once knew how to sing. Their debut album ‘The Legacy’ was in a way sloppy but extremely powerful and raging. What we have here are re-recorded songs that sound so utterly digital and clean that the whole thrash metal atmosphere has gone. I want to feel the sweat oozing from my speaker, I want to hear Chuck Billy scream his lungs out, I want to feel the energy of a band trying to conquer the world or at least deafening it.

There’s none of that here. Chunky Billy just barks along with the songs as if he’s always been a second rate death metal vocalist, making a mockery of himself. Have I already mentioned the sterile drums and hideously polished guitars? Oh yes, I did.

Fortunately two songs make it worth tracking down the album for 1 or 2 euros. You’ve guessed of course! The last two songs feature Souza on vocals and it’s great to have a decent version of “Reign Of Terrorâ€. The version of “Alone In The Dark†is a bit slow however than the earlier album version.

All in all this album doesn’t do justice in any way to the originals and I advise people not to spend money on this."

^^ Wow! Let the above be a lesson to all bands: Don't piss off the old schoolers. :rofl2:

^^ Wow! Let the above be a lesson to all bands: Don't piss off the old schoolers. :rofl2:

Exactly. I understand the sentiment entirely, but given that Atlantic wouldn't let them remix the albums this was their only choice. And anyone who suggest Billy isn't screaming his lungs out on this is listening to a different album to me. Sure the lead-guitar sounds polished and doesn't have that "cutting glass" feel of the early analog recordings, but the thicker sound is fucking amazing & isn't it nice to hear a drummer who can actually play in-time?

• 2023 Gold Donors

If you wanna get technical Bonded' has already been re-recorded with the great Baloff-albeit live 'go take a listen to "Another Lesson In Violence" man that f**ker rips ass !! Too bad he's gone...

When i wanna hear someone who sounds like complete and total shit vocally-ill listen to Phil Anselmo :brutal_36: ...ohhh man he's freaking TERRIBLE!

isn't it nice to hear a drummer who can actually play in-time?

Yea, Louie Clemente was the weak link in the classic Testament lineup for sure. That dude was out of his league.

I remember reading some metal-dork web site years ago where a guy claimed Clemente was a "drum god" ... I was like "Uh, no. He sucked. I think even the band would agree with me." :lol:

Yea, Louie Clemente was the weak link in the classic Testament lineup for sure. That dude was out of his league.

I remember reading some metal-dork web site years ago where a guy claimed Clemente was a "drum god" ... I was like "Uh, no. He sucked. I think even the band would agree with me." :lol:

Yeah I went to see them when they reformed, and filmed the 'Live in London' DVD, and Clemente got half the set before Tempesta took over & showed what this stuff can sound like with a good drummer. It was no comparison....

Yeah I went to see them when they reformed, and filmed the 'Live in London' DVD, and Clemente got half the set before Tempesta took over & showed what this stuff can sound like with a good drummer. It was no comparison....

Backed on Tempesta he is better by a mile than Clemente.

I don't mind Louie that much because lets face it I've heard Peter Criss drum before, but he's no wear near as good as Tempesta, Benante, or Bostaph.

One thing you can guarantee here, old Exodus fans will hate this. Anyone who touches the old 80's thrash stuff is always met with stuff like "the old material might have sounded shit, but that added to the raw/rough vibe". Which is most likely true (even if it's not my personal opinion). Testament fans slagged the "First Strike..." album big-time, even suggesting the performances weren't as good (Tempesta not as good as Louie Clemente? Are you kidding me?!)...

Read this shit below, about the Testament album, as an example. Fucking morons....

"This is a form of rape which is unbelievable. One wonders why on earth a band would want to re-record old classic songs when nothing was wrong with the originals in the first place. In '88 Maiden re-recorded two tracks from their debut with Dickinson and those versions were pretty good keeping in mind that Harris has never been happy with the production of the 1980 debut album. This Testament release however is insulting and obsolete.

Testament used to be a thrash metal band, somewhere in the eighties. Chuck Billy once knew how to sing. Their debut album ‘The Legacy’ was in a way sloppy but extremely powerful and raging. What we have here are re-recorded songs that sound so utterly digital and clean that the whole thrash metal atmosphere has gone. I want to feel the sweat oozing from my speaker, I want to hear Chuck Billy scream his lungs out, I want to feel the energy of a band trying to conquer the world or at least deafening it.

There’s none of that here. Chunky Billy just barks along with the songs as if he’s always been a second rate death metal vocalist, making a mockery of himself. Have I already mentioned the sterile drums and hideously polished guitars? Oh yes, I did.

Fortunately two songs make it worth tracking down the album for 1 or 2 euros. You’ve guessed of course! The last two songs feature Souza on vocals and it’s great to have a decent version of “Reign Of Terrorâ€. The version of “Alone In The Dark†is a bit slow however than the earlier album version.

All in all this album doesn’t do justice in any way to the originals and I advise people not to spend money on this."

Obviously, that reviewer doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. First Strike was a killer album.

It turns out that I may be getting a promo copy of this disc to review for Detritus 'zine, so I may find out for myself how good or bad it is very soon...

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my copy of this direct from Nuclear Blast's website. I think they've done a good job with this, & I actually think people are gonna be okay with Dukes' vocals on these tunes as he really sounds like Souza when he's singing fast tunes (which he hasn't really had to do on the last couple of Exodus albums as they've been mostly mid-paced). Of course this sounds very polished, & it's been brilliantly mixed so you can give this maximum volume & it sounds incredible. Dukes' vocals are all decipherable, if still a lot more aggressive than Baloff was, & of course the old schoolers will still complain that there's no glass-cutting lead guitar & that the drums are sterile, but for someone who finds the original completely unlistenable due to the ridiculous production then this is a great intro to some classic tunes... :banger:

Well the new artwork is pretty killer I will say that much.. Not that the old classic artwork sucked or anything....

I AM Interested in hearing this to be honest.... I LOVED the original with Baloff on vocals, but yea the production was pretty shitty, so it would be nice to hear these classic tunes re-recorded and sounding better.. Plus I Believe there's a bonus track that never got released back in the day,so that oughta be cool... :headbanger:

• 2 weeks later...

So a couple of extra things from me on this one. The liner notes are pretty cringeworthy, Dukes saying "Baloff will always be the true voice of Exodus", and lots of excuses from Holt about why they're doing this - knowing full well there will be a big fan backlash.

Also, given that one of the reasons for doing this is to make the songs sound crisper, it's interesting that the production isn't that great. Sure it's good, and it slaughters the original, but by todays standards it's pretty weak & too bassy. Holt produced himself (presumably as they didn't have the $$$ backing of Nuclear Blast) with Andy Sneap mixing, & it's a million miles from the crisp/polished sound of "Atrocity Exhibition"....

Still, a pretty essential CD to own if you love 80's thrash metal....

Bonded by Blood without Baloff is like chicken soup without the chicken. Beyond that this project is totally pointless to me, regardless how good the new production is and how glossy and contemporary the new artwork looks like. It is not Bonded by Blood, as simple as that.

• 2023 Gold Donors
Bonded by Blood without Baloff is like chicken soup without the chicken. Beyond that this project is totally pointless to me, regardless how good the new production is and how glossy and contemporary the new artwork looks like. It is not Bonded by Blood, as simple as that.

I agree...haven't heard it yet but if it sucks believe me ill return to this thread and absolutely destroy it.

• 2023 Gold Donors

...finally heard this and it ain't bad at all.I think you have to approach it as a "tribute to Paul Baloff".Gary producing was a good thing as an outside knob hog would've shit all over it.Arrangements are the same,sound is an obvious step up and Rob Dukes vox sound good.Probably should've just left these songs alone,but hey it pisses all over Death Magnetic.. :nyanya: .'Metal Command','BBB','Strike Of The Beast' and 'Pirahna' sound vicious.Not trying to outdue the original masterpiece (which is impossible)...more of like it says in the liner notes a homage. R.I.P. Paul Baloff-