Quietdrive - 'Deliverance'

Geoff

I tried to post this one a few days ago but had troubles so I saved a draft and left it. I see there's a bit of interest from some of the members here, so I'll try posting it again:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another great release this year, due out on the 14th of October. These guys released their debut on Epic Records with decent success, but actually bailed on the contract: "Though the band garnered success with Epic, in April of 2008 they cancelled their contract with Epic Records partly citing the restricting management of the major music industry." Pretty ballsy if you ask me. Hope it works out for them.

And based on the new album, 'Deliverance', it should. I liked the debut, 'When all that's left is you' a lot, especially the cool cover of 'Time after time' and I'd recommend this as well as the new one... but the new one is definitely the pick of the two. Great pop rock on offer here.

The first 2 songs 'Believe' and 'Deliverance' are monsters. 'Daddy's little girl' is well out of place and I'm not a fan but the disc gets back on track with the 4th song and 'Birthday' is one of my favourites of the disc at number 5 - listen tot hat chorus!!! 'Pretend', 'Take me now', 'Promise me', 'Secret' and 'Starbright' are all killer tracks too. There's a few average songs on here inbetween, but the overall album is well worth checking out... far superior to the debut.

Myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/quietdrive

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having heard it again today I have to say there are a couple of fillers, but (if this makes sense) this is one of those CDs where the band is in such a groove that even the fillers actually sound good... even though they shouldn't. I don't know why, but they just have a cool vibe on this and they really sound at home and it's hard to fault them for trying a few different things...

Backed - I really like this. 'Pretend' is a great song.....I also liked 'Hollywood'.

There are some fillers. But when its good its good.

Not sure I like it over Anberlin tho - that thing just oozes class.

Downloading is for EMO's. (he says, with more than a hint of jealousy that you gits always get these things early)

Downloading is for EMO's. (he says, with more than a hint of jealousy that you gits always get these things early)

Downloading? What's that? Me not the understand? I, uh, know some guys in the band or something. :)

And btw, downloading is for financially f*cked f*ckers. ;)

Downloading? What's that? Me not the understand? I, uh, know some guys in the band or something. :)

And btw, downloading is for financially f*cked f*ckers. ;)

Nice review.....I've been wonderin' 'bout this one........BTW, I proudly attained "financially f*cked f*cker" staus when I began neglecting food/phone/mortgage bills so I'd have more $$ to spend on music :lol::lol::lol: Besides, once the phone is D/C'd, those annoying creditor phone calls won't interrupt my listening pleasure anymore. And I can always move into my brother's basement...........Sorry for the digression, I'm trying to break the habit of typing the first thing that comes to mind. Helpful review though.

• 6 months later...

Bump for a really great disc.

How did this one end up rating with you, Tim? Anyone else aside from Glen and Tim check this one out?

There are a couple of not amazing songs, but the gems are well worth it, and plentiful. The last song, 'Starbright' is just divine. Probably my favourite song on this thing. I just love that chorus on 'Birthday' too. Apparently the lyrics are

"I'm sorry I forgot your birthday

I'm sorry 'cause I'm a shit face

I thought it was on a Wednesday

A Monday or a Tuesday

It's all the same to me

So what would make you happy?

Tell me, 'cause I'm sorry

These colors that we bind

Look all the same to me"

But I always sing along:

"I'm sorry I forgot your birthday

I'm sorry 'cause I was shitfaced

I thought it was on a Wednesday

A Monday or a Tuesday

It's all the same to me

So what would make you happy?

Tell me, 'cause I'm sorry

These colors that we bind

Look all the same to me"

I swear that's what he says. Being shitfaced is a term for being extremely drunk in Australia - is this a universal term?

Anyway... love this disc. Probably the most confident follow-up disc I've heard. I touched on this above and don't really know how to explain it, but they just sound great. The songs are unique, brave... not run-of-the-mill. They just really sound like a band who discovered something awesome and thought they were untouchable for an album's worth of great songs. I love it.

Yeah I like it, not amazing though. Definitely some fillers on here, and very blatant ones at that, but also some gems. The title-track is easily my fave tune. Must dig this one out again....

I loved the When All That's Left Is You album...I need to check this new one out.

This one is miles better... imo. :)

• 1 year later...