Just Getting Into Pre Elefante Kansas

Faron

I have both the John Elefante fronted Kansas albums - Vinyl Confessions & Drastic Measures.

Just starting to get into the classic Steve Walsh era Kansas! :tumbsup:

Jez recommends these very highly, who else likes this band? :bowdown:

Favourite albums?

Songs to look out for?

Would appreciate some input! :tumbsup:

Thanks all :tumbsup:

You know my faves mate

'Song For America, 'Leftoverture' and 'Point of Know Return' 3 classic discs.

My fave tracks inc.

Song For America

Mysteries & Mayhem

Lamplight Symphony

The Wall

Magnum Opus

Carry On My Wayward Son (Of Course)

Dust In The Wind

Closet Chronicles

Icarus Borne On Wings Of Steel

only heard Carry On Wayward Son, but i LOVE it!

after hearing Dont Fear The Reaper i bought Agents Of Fortune and havent regretted it, so maybe ill have to get the Kansas album when i can afford it (i just made a rather expensive impulse buy...)

Walsh is considered the "definitive" Kansas lead vocalist, as he was with them for all but two (I think) albums. That being said, I've always loved Elefante's voice, and really dig the albums he did with the band.

If you can find it, there's a 1982(?) VHS tape called "Kansas Greatest Hits Live" which was recorded right after Elefante joined the band, and features him doing all the Kansas mainstays. Really a damned fine performance!

Never been released on DVD, and unlikely to ever be, as the band pretty much disowns the Elefante era (which pisses me off).

Kinda like KISS disowns the 80s material (which IMO was their best material).

There was a bootleg DVD of the Kansas performance floating around on eBay for a while, but I never got around to buying one; no idea as to the quality.

I have the VHS tape, but it's a bit munged; not suitable for creating a DVD.

Anyone have a line on a decent quality DVD transfer of this performance?

Me wants.

-Dan

Walsh is considered the "definitive" Kansas lead vocalist, as he was with them for all but two (I think) albums. That being said, I've always loved Elefante's voice, and really dig the albums he did with the band.

If you can find it, there's a 1982(?) VHS tape called "Kansas Greatest Hits Live" which was recorded right after Elefante joined the band, and features him doing all the Kansas mainstays. Really a damned fine performance!

Never been released on DVD, and unlikely to ever be, as the band pretty much disowns the Elefante era (which pisses me off).

Kinda like KISS disowns the 80s material (which IMO was their best material).

There was a bootleg DVD of the Kansas performance floating around on eBay for a while, but I never got around to buying one; no idea as to the quality.

I have the VHS tape, but it's a bit munged; not suitable for creating a DVD.

Anyone have a line on a decent quality DVD transfer of this performance?

Me wants.

-Dan

As I`ve mentioned before, my dad is an old rocker and he used to have the video from the Vinyl Confessions tour.

This particular one he never copied before he sold it and to this day we both regret this :angry:

So Dan, I want one too! :tumbsup:

You know my faves mate

'Song For America, 'Leftoverture' and 'Point of Know Return' 3 classic discs.

My fave tracks inc.

Song For America

Mysteries & Mayhem

Lamplight Symphony

The Wall

Magnum Opus

Carry On My Wayward Son (Of Course)

Dust In The Wind

Closet Chronicles

Icarus Borne On Wings Of Steel

No doubt I`ll be having my own personal faves but 3 or 4 good ones on there :tumbsup:

after hearing Dont Fear The Reaper i bought Agents Of Fortune and havent regretted it, so maybe ill have to get the Kansas album when i can afford it (i just made a rather expensive impulse buy...)

Carry On Wayward Son is a classic track off the album Leftoverture, to which I`ve only recently been acquainted with! :tumbsup:

So far after a million plays in about 3 days, it is starting to grow on me :bowdown:

Give it a go matey :headbanger:

Carry On Wayward Son is a classic track off the album Leftoverture, to which I`ve only recently been acquainted with! :tumbsup:

So far after a million plays in about 3 days, it is starting to grow on me :bowdown:

thanks, i will!

im getting into all the older stuff atm, i also wanna get a Foreigner album and possibly aFoghat album but i have no idea where to start :s

thanks, i will!

im getting into all the older stuff atm, i also wanna get a Foreigner album and possibly aFoghat album but i have no idea where to start :s

Can`t help you with Foghat but Foreigner are excellent. :tumbsup:

Obviously if you want to hear some classic Foreigner tunes, then Greatest Hits is the way to go. :guitbannana:

If you want to start buying the classic albums, then their first self titled album is the place to start! :tumbsup:

thanks, i will!

Obviously if you want to hear some classic Foreigner tunes, then Greatest Hits is the way to go. :guitbannana:

If you want to start buying the classic albums, then their first self titled album is the place to start! :tumbsup:

i dont like Greatest Hits albums, i dont know why but i prefer to own the studio album that has their classic song on it....i wanna get the one with Cold As Ice and the one with Waiting For A Girl Like You, i think[i/] thats the 1st and 4th respectively

thanks, i will!

i dont like Greatest Hits albums, i dont know why but i prefer to own the studio album that has their classic song on it....i wanna get the one with Cold As Ice and the one with Waiting For A Girl Like You, i think[i/] thats the 1st and 4th respectively

Greatest hits are okay if you lightly follow an artist or band but studio albums are where it`s at regar :tumbsup: ding really liking them!

You`re right about the Foreigner albums mate and they are both classic`s :bowdown:

thanks, i will!

Greatest hits are okay if you lightly follow an artist or band but studio albums are where it`s at regar :tumbsup: ding really liking them!

As an introduction and to save yourself some cash, you can get both of these tracks, as well as loads of other great songs they have done, on any of the numerous Foreigner Compilations that are about!!!

thanks, i will!

Greatest hits are okay if you lightly follow an artist or band but studio albums are where it`s at regarding really liking them!

Or a completist :tumbsup:

Christian rock if I remember correctly. :tumbsup:

I think my dad had an album or two by Mastedon and they sounded pretty good :guitbannana:

Christian rock if I remember correctly. :tumbsup:

I think my dad had an album or two by Mastedon and they sounded pretty good :guitbannana:

Yes and it's absolutely great Christian metal if I might add, IMO it's much better than Stryper.

Thanks mate :tumbsup:

so you guys reckon that buying Leftoverture and Foreigners Greats Hits is the best bet for me? i wanna explore 70s classic rock more but dont know where to start :(

I'd go with the excellent new Foreigner best of 'No End In Site' or the cheaper 'The Very Best..And Beyond' (with 3 excellent, at the time, New tracks) and Kansas -'The Ultimate Kansss' as starting points.

so you guys reckon that buying Leftoverture and Foreigners Greats Hits is the best bet for me? i wanna explore 70s classic rock more but dont know where to start :(

As with what you`ve requested and with what I tend to do, ask within this forum and in a roundabout kind of way, you`ll get a rough of idea of what to start with etc :tumbsup:

Jez is the man that I tend to ask, but looking at reviews, post, threads started, it could be one of many :bowdown:

thanks, they look like really good discs! (especially the new Foreigner one)

ill have to buy em when i can (i just spent a chunk of money on Star Wars memorobilia (sp?).....i went from music mode to geek mode for a couple of days :anon:)

thanks, they look like really good discs! (especially the new Foreigner one)

ill have to buy em when i can (i just spent a chunk of money on Star Wars memorobilia (sp?).....i went from music mode to geek mode for a couple of days :anon:)

What`s your favourite Star Wars film and character? :tumbsup:

I remember how popular Star Wars was when it came out in 1977, absolutely everything was Star Wars, cereal packets etc :lol: