Just Getting Into Pre Elefante Kansas

Faron

thanks, they look like really good discs! (especially the new Foreigner one)

ill have to buy em when i can (i just spent a chunk of money on Star Wars memorobilia (sp?).....i went from music mode to geek mode for a couple of days :anon:)

What`s your favourite Star Wars film and character? :tumbsup:

I remember how popular Star Wars was when it came out in 1977, absolutely everything was Star Wars, cereal packets etc :lol:

used to be Episode IV (the new trilogy sucked balls) until i saw Episode III, that ties with the original for me...

fave character is Anakin/Vader (episodes III-VI, i dont even count I and II)

before Phantom Menace came out i used to take pride in being only one of two kids at school that new what Star Wars was :lol:

ill have to buy em when i can (i just spent a chunk of money on Star Wars memorobilia (sp?).....i went from music mode to geek mode for a couple of days :anon:)

I remember how popular Star Wars was when it came out in 1977, absolutely everything was Star Wars, cereal packets etc :lol:

used to be Episode IV (the new trilogy sucked balls) until i saw Episode III, that ties with the original for me...

before Phantom Menace came out i used to take pride in being only one of two kids at school that new what Star Wars was :lol:

I think Star Wars 1977(Episode IV) is the best followed closely by The Empire Strikes Back (Episode V). B)

Yoda and Darth Vader were always my favourite characters :tumbsup:

Thought everyone knew what Star Wars was/is! :lol:

I think Star Wars 1977(Episode IV) is the best followed closely by The Empire Strikes Back (Episode V). B)

heh heh, pre 99, when i was about 6-8 there was only one

but since the new trilogy came out every 5 year old knows about Star Wars, just the wrong movies -_-

i was in Sacramento, and they had this cutout thing that you put your head through (like you get on the coast), the characters were Luke, Leia and an Ewok.....and some little brat comes up and thinks theyre Anakin, Padme and Chewbacca :o

the nerd in me was disgusted at what the new generation thinks Star Wars is...

wow, we've gone from talking Kansas to Star Wars :unsure:

heh heh, pre 99, when i was about 6-8 there was only one

but since the new trilogy came out every 5 year old knows about Star Wars, just the wrong movies -_-

i was in Sacramento, and they had this cutout thing that you put your head through (like you get on the coast), the characters were Luke, Leia and an Ewok.....and some little brat comes up and thinks theyre Anakin, Padme and Chewbacca :o

the nerd in me was disgusted at what the new generation thinks Star Wars is...

wow, we've gone from talking Kansas to Star Wars :unsure:

My thread mate, talk about what you like :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Ive been a Kansas fan since their self titled Album. Kansas is the reason I love that "Symphonic" sound in a lot of my music. AND they are the band that introduced me to Prog Rock. Of course it wasnt called Prog Rock back then.

I lost interest through the 80s (not in the music) but only because I was in the Military during that period. I was too busy to pay much attention to music. :anon:

I didnt have any problem with John Elefante, because he sounded so much like Walsh. But I like both Vinyl Confessions & Drastic Measure. But the first better. I think maybe because Drastic Measures had the distinction to be the first Kansas album without a violin. Founding member Robbie Steinhardt left (or was fired) prior to this album and the band moved on as a 5 piece unit. And like I said I love that Symphonic sound. And without the strings it just wasnt there for me.

If you find that you really love the band and may never see them do yourself a favor and pick up one of thier live CDs. Thier "Live At the Whiskey" is a great CD. Better yet (for me) is Device, Voice, Drum. BUT their best live is "Two For The Show Live" I just picked up the 30th anniversary edition a few weeks ago. It has a bonus CD with previously unreleased live tracks. IT'S my favorite! :headbanger:

My favorite Non-Live are their S/T (Long Epic Proggy songs), and Left Overture (Not One bad song on it!)

BUT their best live is "Two For The Show Live" I just picked up the 30th anniversary edition a few weeks ago. It has a bonus CD with previously unreleased live tracks. IT'S my favorite! :headbanger:

Backed 100% on that one mate - just picked the re-issue up myself a few weeks ago. I loved the original version, but this version with the extra disc is awesome. One of my fave live discs ever just got better!!

Ive been a Kansas fan since their self titled Album. Kansas is the reason I love that "Symphonic" sound in a lot of my music. AND they are the band that introduced me to Prog Rock. Of course it wasnt called Prog Rock back then.

I lost interest through the 80s (not in the music) but only because I was in the Military during that period. I was too busy to pay much attention to music. :anon:

I didnt have any problem with John Elefante, because he sounded so much like Walsh. But I like both Vinyl Confessions & Drastic Measure. But the first better. I think maybe because Drastic Measures had the distinction to be the first Kansas album without a violin. Founding member Robbie Steinhardt left (or was fired) prior to this album and the band moved on as a 5 piece unit. And like I said I love that Symphonic sound. And without the strings it just wasnt there for me.

If you find that you really love the band and may never see them do yourself a favor and pick up one of thier live CDs. Thier "Live At the Whiskey" is a great CD. Better yet (for me) is Device, Voice, Drum. BUT their best live is "Two For The Show Live" I just picked up the 30th anniversary edition a few weeks ago. It has a bonus CD with previously unreleased live tracks. IT'S my favorite! :headbanger:

My favorite Non-Live are their S/T (Long Epic Proggy songs), and Left Overture (Not One bad song on it!)

I acquired Two For The Show from a true english gent :tumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Fave Kansas songs ....ooohooo! In no particular order (well I have the CD's on my knee so I guess it's kind of chronological.

Belexes

Journey from Mariabronn

Song for America

It Takes A Womans Love

All the World

Icarus

Cheyenne Anthem

Questions of My Childhood

Paradox

Point of Know Return

Nobody's Home

How My Soul Cries Out for You

Angels Have Fallen

Loner

Curtain of Iron

No Room for a Stranger

Fight Fire with Fire

Wheels (off the 2 disc box)

Perfect Lover

Taking in the View

We're Not Alone Any More

Pretty much ALL the In the Spirit of Things album

Hope Once Again

Cold Grey Morning

Peaceful and Warm

The Sky is Falling

Icarus II

Byzantium

Look at the Time

but ya know there's not much Kansas I don't like, having said that I wasn't overly keen on the Elephante era although it did throw up a few gems...these are just a few faves. The Proto-Kaw stuff is supposed to be great too...I should get around to grabbing those albums after years of meaning to!

BUT their best live is "Two For The Show Live" I just picked up the 30th anniversary edition a few weeks ago. It has a bonus CD with previously unreleased live tracks. IT'S my favorite! :headbanger:

Backed 100% on that one mate - just picked the re-issue up myself a few weeks ago. I loved the original version, but this version with the extra disc is awesome. One of my fave live discs ever just got better!!

Backed too! It always used to piss me off that Closet Chronicles was missed off the original CD release from the vinyl version...but now it's back plus about 200000 extra tracks great!

I think my fave album by the band is either Point of Know Return or In the Spirit of Things....maybe haha!

Love the original, how many tracks on the bonus disc?

Here ya go Richie. The complete tracklist, with disc 2 being all unreleased.

Disc: 1

1. Song for America

2. Point of Know Return

3. Paradox

4. Icarus-Borne on Wings of Steel

5. Portrait (He Knew)

6. Carry on Wayward Son

7. Journey from Mariabronn

8. Dust in the Wind [Acoustic Guitar Solo]

9. Lonely Wind [Piano Solo]

10. Mysteries and Mayhem

11. Excerpt from Lamplight Symphony

12. Wall

13. Magnum Opus

Disc: 2

1. Hopelessly Human

2. Child of Innocence

3. Belexes

4. Cheyenne Anthem

5. Lonely Street

6. Miracles out of Nowhere

7. Drum Solo/The Spider

8. Closet Chronicles

9. Down the Road

10. Sparks of the Tempest

11. Bringing It Back

Here ya go Richie. The complete tracklist, with disc 2 being all unreleased.

Disc: 1

1. Song for America

2. Point of Know Return

3. Paradox

4. Icarus-Borne on Wings of Steel

5. Portrait (He Knew)

6. Carry on Wayward Son

7. Journey from Mariabronn

8. Dust in the Wind [Acoustic Guitar Solo]

9. Lonely Wind [Piano Solo]

10. Mysteries and Mayhem

11. Excerpt from Lamplight Symphony

12. Wall

13. Magnum Opus

Disc: 2

1. Hopelessly Human

2. Child of Innocence

3. Belexes

4. Cheyenne Anthem

5. Lonely Street

6. Miracles out of Nowhere

7. Drum Solo/The Spider

8. Closet Chronicles

9. Down the Road

10. Sparks of the Tempest

11. Bringing It Back

Thanks Jez. I'll be lookin' out for this one.

• 2 months later...

Leftoverture is starting to get some serious play now, tremendous album, love every song on this. :bowdown:

Never thought I`d get into Kansas outside of the Elefante albums, going to start playing Point Of Know Return which I`ve borrowed from my old rocker of a dad :tumbsup:

Cheyenne Anthem is brilliant off Leftoverture......I think Point of Know Return is an even stronger release!

Great song Nick, even the funny waltzy thing towards the end :lol:

If POKR is better then it must be something special :tumbsup:

Cheyenne Anthem is brilliant off Leftoverture......I think Point of Know Return is an even stronger release!

Yeah...it's a personal opinion......most people would discount it hahaha!

Yeah...it's a personal opinion......most people would discount it hahaha!

I will take your opinion on board mate has you were nearly THE TERMINATOR :lol: