The New Shining - 'Supernatural Showdown'

Geoff

http://www.myspace.com/thenewshining

Interesting band. I was ready to call them the best band of 2008 when I heard song number two, 'Red Eyes'. This track is just stunning. I'm up to track 5 now and these guys are good. Beautiful, very emotive verses but a few of the other choruses maybe aren't as instant as 'Red Eyes'. Still the 3rd and 4th tracks were very strong and I have a feeling this is going to be a great CD. Worth checking out.

And whatever you do, do yourself a favour and listen to 'Red Eyes'!!!

Red Eyes rawks!! Excellent tuneage there!! Thanks for the hookup!!

Red Eyes rawks!! Excellent tuneage there!! Thanks for the hookup!!

No worries mate. I wouldn't usually start a whole new thread based on only hearing half a disc (as I have now) but I was just completely blown away by 'Red eyes'. Enjoy the disc mate. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone get the chance to check this one out? I see it's been getting some pretty good words thrown it's way.

'Red eyes' still stuns me, but there are a couple of other tracks - 'Hurt' and especially 'Never surrender' that are almost as good. There are admittedly a few "plodding" tracks, but there is some stunning work on this one.

A bit of history from melodic.net:

"The (New) Shining originates from former 5 piece bands Lost Serenity (96-99), Chain (00-01) and the 4 piece band Dinos4Dinner (02-06).

In 2002, after having tried innumerable singer and many musical escapades, lead guitarist Nax steps up to take on the lead vocals.

The Line up is: "Nax" Xander Stok - Vocals/Lead Guitar, "R" Arjan Nijman - Bass/Vocals and Vincent Stok - Drums.

I totally surrender when I hear a band that has elements of both 80's hard rock and modern rock in their sound just like this power trio from Holland.

This is exactly what I have been waiting for, huge sounding guitars and melodic vocals with strong choruses.

Their debut was produced by Oscar Holleman (Within Temptation) and it sounds like a million bucks, let me tell you.

Big rock for big arenas and another contender for my top album list of 2008, watch the video of the single "Temptation" and purchase your copy at their myspace page."

This is one I'll be checking out over the weekend....

I thought it was okay but it didn't blow me away. It's still early though & I've had no coffee.

Yeah, I do agree that overall it's not as good as some of the idividually stunning tracks indicate is could and should have been... but every now and then there is an album which begs to be heard, if only for the sake of a few songs. :)

• 1 year later...

Geoff I agree "Red Eyes" is stunning. "Hurt" is good too but I like "Stand Back" and "Reason To Believe" as well. Nice find.

I really need to find a physical copy of this CD. 'Red eyes' came onto my Ipod the other day and I wanted to sex it till it broke. One of the best songs I've heard in my life.

• 6 years later...