Guitarists ?

Wotty

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two of the most underated Guitarists imo are Jake E. Lee and Doug Aldrich.

C.C. Deville while being a solid songwriter is a shit lead Guitarist.

You my friend, have superior taste in axemen. :drink:

Two of the most underated Guitarists imo are Jake E. Lee and Doug Aldrich.

C.C. Deville while being a solid songwriter is a shit lead Guitarist.

You my friend, have superior taste in axemen. :drink:

Thanks Pete. I just think that neither one of those guys have ever got there due. Jake always seems to be in the shadow of Randy Rhoads and the mainstream Guitar media don't even know who Doug is.

AAAAHHHH! My favorite topic!

Haven't seen too many concerts but when I heard Kirk Hammet live, the solo that he did on 'ONE' was very different from the tap-happy solo on record (last part).

The most under-rated guitarist(s) for me are:

Derek Frigo - I don't think he ever got a Guitar Player/One/Praticing... cover on his own. Or at least even a monthly article (I'm not sure with this). At least, Steve Lynch, Reb Beach had their own. Alex Skolnick was declared the best in Thrash, Rex Carroll was recognized as the best in White/Christian Metal but Frigo didn't received any recognition for his virtuosity.

Bruce Kulick - How can anyone be recognized if he's beside Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons. But definitely, a virtuoso.

The guy in Tuff Luck.

But to say that Vivian Campbell was over-rated... please listen to old DIO records. Phil Collen, now that's average.

AND STILL THE MOST OVER-RATED OF ALL... Warren De Martini. (now tell me he's a virtuoso!)

Haven't seen too many concerts but when I heard Kirk Hammet live, the solo that he did on 'ONE' was very different from the tap-happy solo on record (last part).

Derek Frigo - I don't think he ever got a Guitar Player/One/Praticing... cover on his own. Or at least even a monthly article (I'm not sure with this). At least, Steve Lynch, Reb Beach had their own. Alex Skolnick was declared the best in Thrash, Rex Carroll was recognized as the best in White/Christian Metal but Frigo didn't received any recognition for his virtuosity.

Bruce Kulick - How can anyone be recognized if he's beside Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons. But definitely, a virtuoso.

The guy in Tuff Luck.

But to say that Vivian Campbell was over-rated... please listen to old DIO records. Phil Collen, now that's average.

AND STILL THE MOST OVER-RATED OF ALL... Warren De Martini. (now tell me he's a virtuoso!)

Yeah on Old Dio ,Viv shines...though 3/4 of his licks are DIRECT Rip-offs from Gary Moore.

But Viv says that he was forced to play that way and now dis-owns his past..so IMO

that makes him Average...plus what in the hell has he done lately??

Marc Diglio of XYZ

Andy Timmons of Danger Danger

Pete Lesperance of Harem Scarem

All these guys were thrown into the Hair Metal pot and never really looked at as a guitarist because their respective bands were pigeon-holed from the start. They are very very under rated indeed :banger:

The guy in Tuff Luck.

Yeah on Old Dio ,Viv shines...though 3/4 of his licks are DIRECT Rip-offs from Gary Moore.

But Viv says that he was forced to play that way and now dis-owns his past..so IMO

I agree with Viv being over-rated, and your right he hasn't done a damn thing in Def Leppard to show his guitar skills, but he did have some killer riffs on Holy Diver and Last in Line. Being a Dio diehard I can't stress enough how much it pisses me off that he disses on his metal past like he's ashamed of it.

As for Warren Demartini. I've seen the guy live 3 times and each time he's been sensational. So it goes without saying that I consider him one hell of a guitar player.

A couple more under-rated guitarists:

Mark Kendall- Great White

John Sykes- Blue Murder/Whitesnake/Thin Lizzy/Tygers of Pan Tang

Chris Broderick- Jag Panzer

Mark Reale- Riot

Dave Meinketti- Y&T

Harry Cody- Shotgun Messiah

Adrian Smith/Dave Murray/Janick Gers- Iron Maiden( These guys get no credit )

Akira Takasaki..

F**k yea! Akira is THE MAN! :headbanger:

Not being a guitarist myself I can only base my opinions on what "sounds good to me" but I always thought Marc Ferrari's work on the first couple of Keel records was pretty kick ass...

Jeff Waters of Annihilator is a riff machine as well...

The guy in Tuff Luck.

THERE WERE NUMEROUS, AND I MEAN NUMEROUS guitarists who played in the 80s that disowned their past/or style. Not very surprised about that with Viv. I've also read that about Jake E. Lee with the playing he did with Ozzy. But hey, they got the gig with their "they-wanted-that-crappy-style" of playing! Viv won the DIO gig over John Sykes with his Gary Moore style (and who can blame him with that style, he LOVES G. Moore). And one thing is important, those playing that they dissed were recorded for posterity and gave them money and popularity.

Man! I thought we're talking about NATURALS here, Warren De Martini has always been good. But a NATURAL like Andy Timmons, Akira Takasaki...?

There will always be other names that will appear but some of them had endorsements, Guitar mag covers, articles, or some kind of recognition. I just think Derek Frigo never had any of those (but I'm not sure). I remember Akira having his ad/endorsement....

And yes, Dave Meniketti... that's one classy player that's also an obvious NATURAL.

Akira Takasaki..

F**k yea! Akira is THE MAN! :headbanger:

Not being a guitarist myself I can only base my opinions on what "sounds good to me" but I always thought Marc Ferrari's work on the first couple of Keel records was pretty kick ass...

Jeff Waters of Annihilator is a riff machine as well...

Jeff is amazing on Early Annihilator stuff....

Warren De Martini was really good on the first few Ratt albums...but he kinda lost the

fire...

Of course Early EVH was Great...

George Lynch is Amazing...when he puts his mind to it...

Adrian Vandenberg is great but he seems to have lost the fire also...

Being a player myself I rate guitar players on several areas....such as

Tone,Phrasing,Technique,Timing,Songwriting etc.....

a few people who don't get mentioned alot are.

Wolf Hoffman-Accept..Very Good Solid Player...

Matthias Jabs-Scorpions..Very Under-Rated Guy..lots of fire...

Mick Mars..a LOT better than you think..Great Tone and touch..

Jake E Lee..SO Under Rated it's not even funny!!A Hell of a Player!!!

Amir Derakh,Chris Hagar-Rough Cutt...Those Guys had chops for miles and Songs!!

nobody ever talks about them...

Chris Holmes-WASP..Yeah ya have one image in your mind about him,still

a really good player...

How'bout Hank Shermann and Michael Denner of Mercyful Fate? They were like Satan's answer to Tipton/Downing or Murray/Smith... awesome stuff...granted, they tended to be overshadowed by King Diamond's vocals but Hank and Michael's work on those early MF albums still sounds great today

How'bout Hank Shermann and Michael Denner of Mercyful Fate? They were like Satan's answer to Tipton/Downing or Murray/Smith... awesome stuff...granted, they tended to be overshadowed by King Diamond's vocals but Hank and Michael's work on those early MF albums still sounds great today

You said it bro..those guys are great!!

Okay at the risk of being exiled I always thought Randy Rhoads was a bit over-rated...

He is a Great Player, I just was never a big Ozzy Fan,so never really got into him...

Eric Clapton is WAY Over-rated IMO...I Don't like him at all...

Same Goes for Neil Schon IMO...Just can't get into him either....

Kirk Hammett is over-rated IMO...

Robin Trower Is Very over-looked IMO..Killer

Rory Gallagher is great..

Okay at the risk of being exiled I always thought Randy Rhoads was a bit over-rated...

:unsure:

huh?

Sometimes, we must check the foundation of our house to see that they're good. This is the VERY first time that I read that Clapton is WAY Over-rated.

But I respect that.

huh?

Sometimes, we must check the foundation of our house to see that they're good. This is the VERY first time that I read that Clapton is WAY Over-rated.

But I respect that.

Eric is a Founding father of rock guitar..He has a lot of great songs and he Can Play

very well...he just doesn't do a thing for me...a lot of his early stuff was taken from

Buddy Guy,Freddy King,Albert King,BB King,Hubert Sumlin,Jimmy Reed..the list is endless...

when I first started playin I went back to were ALL Rock Guitar Playin came from..i.e.

the Blues..so That is my foundation..then on to Hendrix,Page Beck,Bolin,Trower..

Then on to A Young,Nugent,Travers,Van Halen,Malmsteen,Blackmore,Schenker,Uli Roth..

IMO Eric is good,but I just Personally don't like his playin....But hey I know people who

hate Hendrix...and to me that is just Crazy..but to each his own...

Well put, dude.

A few other tasty guitarists IMO that aren't mentioned very often are Greg Howe, Blues Saraceno, Tim Pierce, and also the guy from Arch Rival, who's playing reminds of Uli Roth.

I was Gonna say Greg Howe(AMAZING) and Blues as well...both are Smokin!!

haven't heard of Tim Pierce,but I be lookin for it....

Well put, dude.

A few other tasty guitarists IMO that aren't mentioned very often are Greg Howe, Blues Saraceno, Tim Pierce, and also the guy from Arch Rival, who's playing reminds of Uli Roth.

I was Gonna say Greg Howe(AMAZING) and Blues as well...both are Smokin!!

haven't heard of Tim Pierce,but I be lookin for it....

Greg is definitely one of today's best. Pierce was Rick Springfield's guitarist for many years, not the most flashy but very solid. I forgot to mention the great John Petrucci.

huh?

But I respect that.

Eric is a Founding father of rock guitar..He has a lot of great songs and he Can Play

very well...he just doesn't do a thing for me...a lot of his early stuff was taken from

Buddy Guy,Freddy King,Albert King,BB King,Hubert Sumlin,Jimmy Reed..the list is endless...

when I first started playin I went back to were ALL Rock Guitar Playin came from..i.e.

the Blues..so That is my foundation..then on to Hendrix,Page Beck,Bolin,Trower..

Then on to A Young,Nugent,Travers,Van Halen,Malmsteen,Blackmore,Schenker,Uli Roth..

IMO Eric is good,but I just Personally don't like his playin....But hey I know people who

hate Hendrix...and to me that is just Crazy..but to each his own...

That sums up my feelings as well, very nicely put. :drink:

H&H, IMHO it's freakin' criminal how underrated Aldrich is. He's such a monster player, just hasn't played on anything popular enough... <_< One of my favs easy... :banger:

The biggest dissapointement from a guitarist at a live show was Nuno back in '97, he was at Lee's Palace in Toronto doing a show to promote his new solo cd. Other than the light and short solos in the tracks (he did no Extreme songs at all) he played no guitar solo, no killer bees, no nothing. Here is one of my guitar heroes playing it safer than nuns at a bingo. Sad!

Here's some good ones that I found on Myspace.

Dario Lorina - Currently playing with Jani Lane's Warrant?. This Kid is AMAZING for 16 years old. People have said he's the next Randy Rhoads:

http://www.myspace.com/dariolorina

www.dariolorina.com

Mike Orlando - Another shredder in the vein of WingWee.. oops.. I mean Yngwie Malmsteen

www.mikeorlandomusic.com

http://www.myspace.com/mikeorlandomusic

Wally Borgan - Guitarist for local AC/DC tribute band, T/N/T. Wally also has played in alot of Thrash and metal bands. This guy can do sweeps like no tomorrow! Also a very great guy and good friend of mine :banger:

http://www.myspace.com/tntguitar

http://www.myspace.com/tntacdctribute